PSA: 7.0.6 Causing Brick in some devices

cinematicme

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
Just a heads up iOS 7.0.6 update is bricking some devices. It's basically a board crash from the update installing incorrectly, usually over wifi. This is a problem that can only be solved in an apple store with a new unit. Main symptom is no power on after update, most common with over the air updates via wifi

Issue physically/personally confirmed on iPhone 5s verizon and iPad mini wifi so far

Main symptoms are failed update resulting in connect to iTunes and inability to restore, or no power on after update.

EDIT: iPhone 5S verizon lost service before and displayed "Searching..." user then attempted to restore, brick was end result.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I updated over Wi-Fi and my devices are working as they should. Your post is the first I've heard of such a thing. How many is "some"? Your thread title makes it seem as if it's an epidemic or something and I'd argue that it is not.

cinematicme

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
4 devices came to my work in the past few hours with this issue and it's all over the apple.com forums. It's affecting a limited number of devices at this time. Most people are ok, and have already updated.

Make sure you make backups before installing the update.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
None of our members have reported this to my knowledge and the update is weeks old

We educate Backups before any updates and restores for these actual reasons

Sent from my iPhone 5s Gold 64GB

anon(73368)

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
4 devices came to my work in the past few hours with this issue and it's all over the apple.com forums. It's affecting a limited number of devices at this time. Most people are ok, and have already updated.

Make sure you make backups before installing the update.

I have witnessed a iPhone 4S brick doing the 7.0.6 update. She was doing it over wifi and bricked her phone. Had to go to apple and they somehow got the phone to power up to factory settings. That's not the first one that particular apple store has seen that issue either.

cinematicme

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
None of our members have reported this to my knowledge and the update is weeks old

We educate Backups before any updates and restores for these actual reasons

Sent from my iPhone 5s Gold 64GB

7.0.6 is NOT weeks old.

cinematicme

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
And a lot of folks didn't try power home hold for 10 seconds.

I work as a mobile device technician , first thing I tried on all 4 customers devices and now on my friends 5S verizon, the iPad mini's didn't even power on, and my friends 5S refuses to restore in regular recovery or DFU, after multiple attempts to hard reset and DFU, no reaction from multiple USB ports on both windows and Mac, latest version of iTunes, no recovery mode detected. Tinyumbrella was useless, actually every tool was useless.

All devices acted as though unpowered, also no charging icon. Would not even start the boot process.

giorgosh

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
I tried to upgrade to 7.0.6 when i got home after a trip abroad and my device is now bricked... :( No icon on screen, just itunes recovery prompt when connected to PC. Tried Tiny (im not jb), tried other 3rd apps, but no luck. My prob is that i got no recent backups and probably all my photos is gone now

All devices acted as though unpowered, also no charging icon. Would not even start the boot process.

Mine also on 5S (no jb)

taz323

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
I tried to upgrade to 7.0.6 when i got home after a trip abroad and my device is now bricked... :( No icon on screen, just itunes recovery prompt when connected to PC. Tried Tiny (im not jb), tried other 3rd apps, but no luck. My prob is that i got no recent backups and probably all my photos is gone now

Have tried holding down the power button and home button together till the Apple symbol comes up.

Mine also on 5S (no jb)

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
Did you people actually read any of the post on the Apple support forums? None of them had more than a handful of replies. In my experience if this was as wide spread as the OP suggest, there would be 30-40 page threads on the subject, and the media would have been all over it.
To the people that are affected by this ... "You're holding it wrong"