When will Apple add customizability feature to iOS?

applelex

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
Those are going to be fighting words here.
Honestly I have used 4.4 and 4.4.2 on many devices and I have not noticed frame rate or stuttering issues. the same can be said for iOS7, I have used it on older phones and ipads and it runs good. People complain about "lag" and "stuttering" all the time, personally I think we are past that. If I ever see it, it is so minimal it doesn't hinder the user experience.

Well it's certainly there I see it every day almost... try going to the screenshots on apps in the App Store and open them and see the dropped frames as well as when you pull down spotlight search on the home screen...it may not hinder usage but I can't imagine that's something that Apple wants for iOS 7 and it sure is aggravating and goes to show how unrefined iOS 7 is.

Sent from my iPad Air using iMore Forums

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
It is true they they have been selling a lot of iPhones/iPads without those features, but adding features like widgets, different font options, ability of changing the keyboard layout and things like that's wouldn't hurt because I'm sure that the lack of those features are keeping some people from buying the iPhone. I'm also sure a bunch of iPhone/iPad users would appreciate those features as well.

If you want that stuff, jailbreak it. iOS is fine without it.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
iOS is being left behind. Not Apple as an overall company.

Doubtful that "iOS is being left behind". It’s on EVERY mobile device that Apple sells. And in case you haven’t noticed, Apple sells tons of them. You can’t get an Apple mobile device without iOS. Duh.

applelex

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
If you want that stuff, jailbreak it. iOS is fine without it.

As I was explaining to the other guy earlier, I shouldn't have to risk "bricking" my device for simple features that should come with it out of the box. In your opinion yeah it's fine but others including myself don't think so.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
As I was explaining to the other guy earlier, I shouldn't have to risk "bricking" my device for simple features that should come with it out of the box. In your opinion yeah it's fine but others including myself don't think so.

If you really think that you are risking bricking your phone when you JB, you are either sadly mistaken or technically inept. The process is almost brainless to perform these days. And in the worst case where you do manage to make your device (iPhone, iPad, iPod) inoperable, there’s always the DFU mode and restore option.

applelex

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
If you really think that you are risking bricking your phone when you JB, you are either sadly mistaken or technically inept. The process is almost brainless to perform these days. And in the worst case where you do manage to make your device (iPhone, iPad, iPod) inoperable, there?s always the DFU mode and restore option.

The point I'm trying to make is I shouldnt even have to go through the process of JB I should have features like quick reply, widgets, theme options, font options, and keyboard layout options out of the box... I'm sure the folks at Apple are smart enough to figure it out and integrate those features while keeping iOS a stable operating system. They should recognize the want and need of customizability options due to the amount of people risking "bricking" their device to get those particular features. It's not about the ability to jailbreak it's About people having to do so because apple operating system is quite frankly dull.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
With customization comes opening up the OS more. With that comes lame apps that screw with the system.
iOS is what it is. There's Android for customization at its best.
I'm not a Android fan for one reason being that there are these lame customization apps that just makes the experience troublesome.
This doesn't work with that and so on.
Right now on iOS for me there are no issues. Turn it on and go.

applelex

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
With customization comes opening up the OS more. With that comes lame apps that screw with the system.
iOS is what it is. There's Android for customization at its best.
I'm not a Android fan for one reason being that there are these lame customization apps that just makes the experience troublesome.
This doesn't work with that and so on.
Right now on iOS for me there are no issues. Turn it on and go.

I know iOS is what it is.. That's the problem.. they iterate yearly on the operating system but those iterations are very small increments as far as customization goes. And they don't have to open up the OS to add these features they can simply integrate there own customizations much like they include their own wallpapers in iOS. They don't have to make cruddy apps like android does this can be an inside operation at Apple.

applelex

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
The people who want these features are a minority, a very vocal minority, but still a minority. Apple is not going to feel the necessity of making those types of changes when it may mess up the experience for the majority of users who either don't care about it. There's a limited number of developer hours than can go into each iOS release and they are going to prioritize by features that a majority of their users want and need.
You are obviously in the minority that really wants customization features and there's nothing wrong with that. But Apple is going to prioritize by what they think is best. Could Apple be wrong and be leaving a lot of money on the table by not offering more customization? Sure. I personally don't think they are, but only time will tell.
And you should leave feedback directly for Apple. You may be only one person, but if enough people start to contact Apple about more customization, they will eventually have to listen or risk people going to other platforms.

Touch? Karen Touch?.. 👍

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
The point I'm trying to make is I shouldnt even have to go through the process of JB I should have features like quick reply, widgets, theme options, font options, and keyboard layout options out of the box... I'm sure the folks at Apple are smart enough to figure it out and integrate those features while keeping iOS a stable operating system. They should recognize the want and need of customizability options due to the amount of people risking "bricking" their device to get those particular features. It's not about the ability to jailbreak it's About people having to do so because apple operating system is quite frankly dull.

It is your opinion that the "apple operating system us quite frankly dull", and you’re entitled to it. I prefer to have something that works without having to muck around with it.

Apple is in charge, and so far they have chosen to not allow carte blanche customizations, and frankly, it’s working out pretty well for them. Just because you and a few others want it, doesn’t mean that Apple should allow it. It’s their platform so they get to make the rules. The option that is available to allow mega customization is jailbreak. Apple doesn’t like that, either, but they're pretty much powerless to prevent it.

You’re free to take your billions and start your own hardware company where you can make the rules. Failing that, you must work within the confines of what is currently available. Plain and simple.

On the plus side, you do get points for not claiming that Apple "desperately" needs to do this.

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
The people who want these features are a minority, a very vocal minority, but still a minority. Apple is not going to feel the necessity of making those types of changes when it may mess up the experience for the majority of users who either don't care about it. There's a limited number of developer hours than can go into each iOS release and they are going to prioritize by features that a majority of their users want and need.
You are obviously in the minority that really wants customization features and there's nothing wrong with that. But Apple is going to prioritize by what they think is best. Could Apple be wrong and be leaving a lot of money on the table by not offering more customization? Sure. I personally don't think they are, but only time will tell.
And you should leave feedback directly for Apple. You may be only one person, but if enough people start to contact Apple about more customization, they will eventually have to listen or risk people going to other platforms.

Very well said Karen.

applelex

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
It is your opinion that the "apple operating system us quite frankly dull", and you?re entitled to it. I prefer to have something that works without having to muck around with it.

Apple is in charge, and so far they have chosen to not allow carte blanche customizations, and frankly, it?s working out pretty well for them. Just because you and a few others want it, doesn?t mean that Apple should allow it. It?s their platform so they get to make the rules. The option that is available to allow mega customization is jailbreak. Apple doesn?t like that, either, but they're pretty much powerless to prevent it.

You?re free to take your billions and start your own hardware company where you can make the rules. Failing that, you must work within the confines of what is currently available. Plain and simple.

On the plus side, you do get points for not claiming that Apple "desperately" needs to do this.

I prefer to have something that just works as well.. That's why I'm a big fan of Apple. Indeed they are in charge and again indeed what their doing is working well enough. But as a lot of people know Apples sales of iPhones was low this quarter compared to other iterations of the iPhone. As much as I love the iPhone 5s and as many compelling features that appeared on this years iPhone the sales were still lower than normal even with a second iPhone that was released along side the iPhone 5s. Now do I think the direct cause of this is the lack of customization features?.. No.. But the addition of them is one more or a couple more compelling features to convince those who are "jumping ship" to stay aboard and to make people choose iOS when thinking about going with another platform because of these specific features as opposed to iOS without these features. And the margin of people who are on iOS that are about to leave because of lack of customization and the margin of people already on android just waiting for iOS to add these specific features to go back isn't that small.. My guess would be at least 2million.. that's 2millions consumers lost and 1.5 billion in profit lost At least !

dc9super80

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
Where does the OP want to put widgets? I have a Nexus 7 and I see no widgets I would use. I like my iPhone the way it is.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

meashishnd

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
The only customizability right one is wallpapers and folders and people need a bit more than that, this coming fall there will have been 8 iterations of iOS yet no customization features yet and hopes for iOS 8 pertaining to this topic?

if u like customization than get jump in JB , JB will give thousands of options to run ur device on ur rules its also void warranty

coasterfan68

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
If Apple were to have full customization like Android, with widgets and such, they would just fall in with the hordes of other android phones, and that is what makes the IPhone stand out, and separates it from the over saturated android market.
I will say though, that I really wish the iPhone had something similar to the Moto X's active notifications, and smart drive. Being able to just say "Siri", and send a text, make a call, answer a call, all without even to have to pick up the phone, would be awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

serglb

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
It's crazy how you guys are acting. The person only stated his opinion. He didn't ask how you go about not being able to customize your iphone. You people are subliminal bashers...- to the person that made this post: I wouldn't mind a little more customization tools for example (not really a customizable tool): a user accessible storage space. I also AGREE when ios 7 came out it was extremely buggy (everyone acts like their iphone was perfect right out of the box)... KitKat is pretty stable and it's fast as soon as google released the update.

Sent from my Blue iPhone 5C using Tapatalk 😊

applelex

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
It's crazy how you guys are acting. The person only stated his opinion. He didn't ask how you go about not being able to customize your iphone. You people are subliminal bashers...- to the person that made this post: I wouldn't mind a little more customization tools for example (not really a customizable tool): a user accessible storage space. I also AGREE when ios 7 came out it was extremely buggy (everyone acts like their iphone was perfect right out of the box)... KitKat is pretty stable and it's fast as soon as google released the update.

Sent from my Blue iPhone 5C using Tapatalk 😊

Touch?