When will Apple add customizability feature to iOS?

applelex

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
The only customizability right one is wallpapers and folders and people need a bit more than that, this coming fall there will have been 8 iterations of iOS yet no customization features yet and hopes for iOS 8 pertaining to this topic?

Sent from my iPad Air using iMore Forums

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
You wont see full on customization.. But Apple will add things here and there that are better for the user....

applelex

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
Well they've been selling plenty of iPhones without customization features. Personally I don't care if they are added because I'll probably not use them.

It is true they they have been selling a lot of iPhones/iPads without those features, but adding features like widgets, different font options, ability of changing the keyboard layout and things like that's wouldn't hurt because I'm sure that the lack of those features are keeping some people from buying the iPhone. I'm also sure a bunch of iPhone/iPad users would appreciate those features as well.

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
Have you looked into JB?

Though they are all great ideas, but Apple massive user base would not be where it is, for making drastic changes and allowing tinkering where some should not.. Apple is simplistic and I am sure they don't plan on changing that.... But here to being hopeful.

applelex

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
Have you looked into JB?

Though they are all great ideas, but Apple massive user base would not be where it is, for making drastic changes and allowing tinkering where some should not.. Apple is simplistic and I am sure they don't plan on changing that.... But here to being hopeful.

Yes I've looked into it but the risk of "bricking" my device is a chance I'm not willing to take.. Apple should recognize that people want customizability from how many jailbreakers are out there and add some features out of the box instead of ignoring the personalization needs and wants of consumers, even if those features are minor. In my opinion a couple of features that someone could choose to use or choose not to use isn't to drastic, obviously Apple doesn't feel the same way.

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
You won't see full customization. You can customize wallpapers, folders and home screens. I don't miss or need customization.

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
Yes I've looked into it but the risk of "bricking" my device is a chance I'm not willing to take.. Apple should recognize that people want customizability from how many jailbreakers are out there and add some features out of the box instead of ignoring the personalization needs and wants of consumers, even if those features are minor. In my opinion a couple of features that someone could choose to use or choose not to use isn't to drastic, obviously Apple doesn't feel the same way.

You kind of addressed the point.. "Risk of Bricking"

Apple is is the same boat, Risk of dealing with issues, issues that in a sense they can't control to allow a smooth operating device.... They would be to many variables and increase cost in trouble shooting...

Trust me there is a reason on why Apple has never really went far on this road...

applelex

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
You won't see full customization. You can customize wallpapers, folders and home screens. I don't miss or need customization.

Yeah that's great for you... But the point I'm trying to get across is that a lot of people do miss, need or want these features. And the fact that the iPhone doesn't have these features maybe better for you but better is RELATIVE. And if these features where integrated into iOS people would have a choice to use them or not to use them. Unlike now where we're forced to use whatever interface they choose the put on the operating system.

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
Exactly and to the point we use what we are given and millions love it... :)

But we are not Apple. Have you expressed you thoughts to them directly using feedback?

If you are that passionate about trying to get this on iOS, they are the people who can change that....

the_tech_eater

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
It is true they they have been selling a lot of iPhones/iPads without those features, but adding features like widgets, different font options, ability of changing the keyboard layout and things like that's wouldn't hurt because I'm sure that the lack of those features are keeping some people from buying the iPhone. I'm also sure a bunch of iPhone/iPad users would appreciate those features as well.

Of the many android users I know, very few use widgets.. Just throwing that out there. It seems that widgets are way ever rated. And I personally don't know many people that use them..

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums

applelex

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
You kind of addressed the point.. "Risk of Bricking"

Apple is is the same boat, Risk of dealing with issues, issues that in a sense they can't control to allow a smooth operating device.... They would be to many variables and increase cost in trouble shooting...

Trust me there is a reason on why Apple has never really went far on this road...

Yeah I completely understand there are reasons that they didn't put those features in. But when will they be able to integrate those features while maintaining a stable operating system. Googles got 4.4.2 kit kat with a ton of customization features and it's fairly stable, but apples got no features and iOS 7 has dropped frames and stutter all over the place. All I'm trying to say is other operating systems have it down packed and iOS is almost being left behind, and I feel like I'm not the only one wondering when will it change.

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I completely understand there are reasons that they didn't put those features in. But when will they be able to integrate those features while maintaining a stable operating system. Googles got 4.4.2 kit kat with a ton of customization features and it's fairly stable, but apples got no features and iOS 7 has dropped frames and stutter all over the place. All I'm trying to say is other operating systems have it down packed and iOS is almost being left behind, and I feel like I'm not the only one wondering when will it change.

You don't know Android very well if that is all you think......

applelex

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
Exactly and to the point we use what we are given and millions love it... :)

But we are not Apple. Have you expressed you thoughts to them directly using feedback?

If you are that passionate about trying to get this on iOS, they are the people who can change that....

I haven't and I haven't because one voice isn't enough I need other people backing me. I love the iPhone as well I'm just saying when is it going to change a little bit it's been nearly 7 years and iOS is essentially the same as far as customization goes.

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site

I wouldn't say Apple is being left behind. How many devices do they continue to sell?

applelex

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
You don't know Android very well if that is all you think......

I know androids got its gray areas as well no operating system will ever be perfect. I'm saying in that particular area of customizability iOS in comparison to android is lacking.

Illustrator Joe

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site

Those are going to be fighting words here.
Honestly I have used 4.4 and 4.4.2 on many devices and I have not noticed frame rate or stuttering issues. the same can be said for iOS7, I have used it on older phones and ipads and it runs good. People complain about "lag" and "stuttering" all the time, personally I think we are past that. If I ever see it, it is so minimal it doesn't hinder the user experience.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nijolcreative