iOS is being left behind. Not Apple as an overall company.

Sent from my iPad Air using iMore Forums
    Doubtful that "iOS is being left behind". It’s on EVERY mobile device that Apple sells. And in case you haven’t noticed, Apple sells tons of them. You can’t get an Apple mobile device without iOS. Duh.
    02-27-2014 05:00 PM
    If you want that stuff, jailbreak it. iOS is fine without it.
    As I was explaining to the other guy earlier, I shouldn't have to risk "bricking" my device for simple features that should come with it out of the box. In your opinion yeah it's fine but others including myself don't think so.

02-27-2014 05:02 PM
    As I was explaining to the other guy earlier, I shouldn't have to risk "bricking" my device for simple features that should come with it out of the box. In your opinion yeah it's fine but others including myself don't think so.

If you really think that you are risking bricking your phone when you JB, you are either sadly mistaken or technically inept. The process is almost brainless to perform these days. And in the worst case where you do manage to make your device (iPhone, iPad, iPod) inoperable, there’s always the DFU mode and restore option.
    02-27-2014 05:07 PM
    If you really think that you are risking bricking your phone when you JB, you are either sadly mistaken or technically inept. The process is almost brainless to perform these days. And in the worst case where you do manage to make your device (iPhone, iPad, iPod) inoperable, theres always the DFU mode and restore option.
    The point I'm trying to make is I shouldnt even have to go through the process of JB I should have features like quick reply, widgets, theme options, font options, and keyboard layout options out of the box... I'm sure the folks at Apple are smart enough to figure it out and integrate those features while keeping iOS a stable operating system. They should recognize the want and need of customizability options due to the amount of people risking "bricking" their device to get those particular features. It's not about the ability to jailbreak it's About people having to do so because apple operating system is quite frankly dull.

serglb likes this.
    02-27-2014 05:15 PM
    With customization comes opening up the OS more. With that comes lame apps that screw with the system.
    iOS is what it is. There's Android for customization at its best.
    I'm not a Android fan for one reason being that there are these lame customization apps that just makes the experience troublesome.
    This doesn't work with that and so on.
    Right now on iOS for me there are no issues. Turn it on and go.
    pr1nce likes this.
    02-27-2014 05:18 PM
    The point I'm trying to make is I shouldnt even have to go through the process of JB I should have features like quick reply, widgets, theme options, font options, and keyboard layout options out of the box... I'm sure the folks at Apple are smart enough to figure it out and integrate those features while keeping iOS a stable operating system. They should recognize the want and need of customizability options due to the amount of people risking "bricking" their device to get those particular features. It's not about the ability to jailbreak it's About people having to do so because apple operating system is quite frankly dull.

The people who want these features are a minority, a very vocal minority, but still a minority. Apple is not going to feel the necessity of making those types of changes when it may mess up the experience for the majority of users who either don't care about it. There's a limited number of developer hours than can go into each iOS release and they are going to prioritize by features that a majority of their users want and need.
    You are obviously in the minority that really wants customization features and there's nothing wrong with that. But Apple is going to prioritize by what they think is best. Could Apple be wrong and be leaving a lot of money on the table by not offering more customization? Sure. I personally don't think they are, but only time will tell.
    And you should leave feedback directly for Apple. You may be only one person, but if enough people start to contact Apple about more customization, they will eventually have to listen or risk people going to other platforms.
    02-27-2014 05:28 PM
    With customization comes opening up the OS more. With that comes lame apps that screw with the system.
    iOS is what it is. There's Android for customization at its best.
    I'm not a Android fan for one reason being that there are these lame customization apps that just makes the experience troublesome.
    This doesn't work with that and so on.
    Right now on iOS for me there are no issues. Turn it on and go.
    I know iOS is what it is.. That's the problem.. they iterate yearly on the operating system but those iterations are very small increments as far as customization goes. And they don't have to open up the OS to add these features they can simply integrate there own customizations much like they include their own wallpapers in iOS. They don't have to make cruddy apps like android does this can be an inside operation at Apple.

02-27-2014 05:32 PM
    The people who want these features are a minority, a very vocal minority, but still a minority. Apple is not going to feel the necessity of making those types of changes when it may mess up the experience for the majority of users who either don't care about it. There's a limited number of developer hours than can go into each iOS release and they are going to prioritize by features that a majority of their users want and need.
    You are obviously in the minority that really wants customization features and there's nothing wrong with that. But Apple is going to prioritize by what they think is best. Could Apple be wrong and be leaving a lot of money on the table by not offering more customization? Sure. I personally don't think they are, but only time will tell.
    And you should leave feedback directly for Apple. You may be only one person, but if enough people start to contact Apple about more customization, they will eventually have to listen or risk people going to other platforms.
    Touch Karen Touch.. 👍

02-27-2014 05:35 PM

It is your opinion that the "apple operating system us quite frankly dull", and you’re entitled to it. I prefer to have something that works without having to muck around with it.

Apple is in charge, and so far they have chosen to not allow carte blanche customizations, and frankly, it’s working out pretty well for them. Just because you and a few others want it, doesn’t mean that Apple should allow it. It’s their platform so they get to make the rules. The option that is available to allow mega customization is jailbreak. Apple doesn’t like that, either, but they're pretty much powerless to prevent it.

You’re free to take your billions and start your own hardware company where you can make the rules. Failing that, you must work within the confines of what is currently available. Plain and simple.

On the plus side, you do get points for not claiming that Apple "desperately" needs to do this.
    02-27-2014 05:41 PM
    Very well said Karen.
    02-27-2014 05:51 PM
    It is your opinion that the "apple operating system us quite frankly dull", and youre entitled to it. I prefer to have something that works without having to muck around with it.

Apple is in charge, and so far they have chosen to not allow carte blanche customizations, and frankly, its working out pretty well for them. Just because you and a few others want it, doesnt mean that Apple should allow it. Its their platform so they get to make the rules. The option that is available to allow mega customization is jailbreak. Apple doesnt like that, either, but they're pretty much powerless to prevent it.

Youre free to take your billions and start your own hardware company where you can make the rules. Failing that, you must work within the confines of what is currently available. Plain and simple.

On the plus side, you do get points for not claiming that Apple "desperately" needs to do this.
    I prefer to have something that just works as well.. That's why I'm a big fan of Apple. Indeed they are in charge and again indeed what their doing is working well enough. But as a lot of people know Apples sales of iPhones was low this quarter compared to other iterations of the iPhone. As much as I love the iPhone 5s and as many compelling features that appeared on this years iPhone the sales were still lower than normal even with a second iPhone that was released along side the iPhone 5s. Now do I think the direct cause of this is the lack of customization features?.. No.. But the addition of them is one more or a couple more compelling features to convince those who are "jumping ship" to stay aboard and to make people choose iOS when thinking about going with another platform because of these specific features as opposed to iOS without these features. And the margin of people who are on iOS that are about to leave because of lack of customization and the margin of people already on android just waiting for iOS to add these specific features to go back isn't that small.. My guess would be at least 2million.. that's 2millions consumers lost and 1.5 billion in profit lost At least !

02-27-2014 07:06 PM
    Where does the OP want to put widgets? I have a Nexus 7 and I see no widgets I would use. I like my iPhone the way it is.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    the_tech_eater likes this.
    02-27-2014 10:49 PM
    The only customizability right one is wallpapers and folders and people need a bit more than that, this coming fall there will have been 8 iterations of iOS yet no customization features yet and hopes for iOS 8 pertaining to this topic?

if u like customization than get jump in JB , JB will give thousands of options to run ur device on ur rules its also void warranty
    02-28-2014 11:43 PM
    If Apple were to have full customization like Android, with widgets and such, they would just fall in with the hordes of other android phones, and that is what makes the IPhone stand out, and separates it from the over saturated android market.
    I will say though, that I really wish the iPhone had something similar to the Moto X's active notifications, and smart drive. Being able to just say "Siri", and send a text, make a call, answer a call, all without even to have to pick up the phone, would be awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    03-08-2014 08:30 AM
    It's crazy how you guys are acting. The person only stated his opinion. He didn't ask how you go about not being able to customize your iphone. You people are subliminal bashers...- to the person that made this post: I wouldn't mind a little more customization tools for example (not really a customizable tool): a user accessible storage space. I also AGREE when ios 7 came out it was extremely buggy (everyone acts like their iphone was perfect right out of the box)... KitKat is pretty stable and it's fast as soon as google released the update.

Sent from my Blue iPhone 5C using Tapatalk 😊
    03-12-2014 02:25 AM
    Options are always good, IMHO.
    serglb and Chrisy like this.
    03-12-2014 06:53 AM
    It's crazy how you guys are acting. The person only stated his opinion. He didn't ask how you go about not being able to customize your iphone. You people are subliminal bashers...- to the person that made this post: I wouldn't mind a little more customization tools for example (not really a customizable tool): a user accessible storage space. I also AGREE when ios 7 came out it was extremely buggy (everyone acts like their iphone was perfect right out of the box)... KitKat is pretty stable and it's fast as soon as google released the update.

Sent from my Blue iPhone 5C using Tapatalk 😊
    Touch

03-12-2014 04:43 PM

To put this more in perspective, you are 1 person who is part of the 5-9% of iOS users who either jailbreak for extra features or want more customization.

The other 91-95% of users don't need, want, or care about the customization options, so no you won't be seeing it. Apple controls the user experience from the top down, they go with what works.

Also, about the whole 7 years of iOS thing, you do realize that last year it was completely redone, including a lot of under the hood? What device are you using ? Because on my 5s, 5, iPad mini retina, I don't experience lag at all, anywhere, period.

If you want deep customization, go get an android phone.

03-12-2014 05:29 PM
    The biggest advantage of customization is that you can set the device for maximum productivity. Apple Today is severely limited, on Android I could see my entire list of meetings and tasks due for the entire week by just glancing at the screen. When you have a busy schedule and need to get things done, a quick glance is better than having to open an app.

Another thing iOS is missing is a semblance of file system. Which translates into difficulty of sharing things with non-Apple systems. Try to quickly mark up a presentation and send it to ten different people in different companies, some of whom have access to Dropbox blocked.

Apple is great as a standalone personal device, rather sucks if you are trying to incorporate it in your work environment as a BYOD when collaboration is important.
    03-14-2014 01:23 PM
    I partially agree with the OP and partially with the Apple's motive,but many phones were left behind in that linearity....Nokia,Palm,etc..All of them didn't kept up and eventually lost,I AM NOT talking about ability to customize but actually give users bit more feature-ful experience in their smooth enviroment like developing APIs so that apps can mutually interact with each other more coherently,A good all in one file manager,they can retain their home-button while introducing a touch gesture aswell for the switcher/going back to HS,actionable notifications,these are just examples...

I find it funny people are always like "I am fine with it,No issues so I don't think Apple needs this"...No one needed Touch-screen before Apple?? I guess NO...so in people were fine with gingerbread,Crackberrians are fine with their BB's,EVERYONE seemed fine back in 2006 with their razr....

I am sure when sms first came out people would have a lot of trouble typing texts,It would be a sort of new experience for them to type via digital buttons and atleast they were not be able to atleast connect their emotions to the typing experience (this is same as many people FEEL good while reading hard-copy rather than digital),So it is not so alien to give users some features AS the OS matures,and please IT wouldn't hurt anyone,IT WOULDN'T spoil the usual sleek experience,everything would be clear,icons on HS and their settings on Settings app...Like ok Apple won't likely ever open up the keyboard API because it can include potential security risks,but there is a lot of potential for the OS,it is about time before Android catches up with iOS's speed,fluidity and productivity,Not because of customizing things,THOUGH not in security and Ease of use...WP8.1 looks promising with regards to features given...A void remain b/w,with a "completely open source experience (NO security No nothing Whatsoever or) or half baked experience (BB) with security and features but No stability/Progressiveness" on one end and on the other end we have A premature Locked-in OS struggling to get his name (WP8) and a pretty mature and miles ahead OS,but extremely limited to ITS potential...So Apple really has a chance to speed up their game
    03-15-2014 09:45 AM
    If Apple were to have full customization like Android, with widgets and such, they would just fall in with the hordes of other android phones, and that is what makes the IPhone stand out, and separates it from the over saturated android market.

So in your opinion, it's the lack of features that makes the iPhone stand out ?

Well, I guess that's one way to look at it.

In reality though, what made iPhone what it is was a great interface, well thought through, beautiful and fast, and reliable hardware, at a time when there was no real competition - BlackBerry was resting on laurels, Windows Mobile was being abandoned by MS, Palm was dying, and nobody heard of Android. So Apple grabbed a big slice of market and became _the_ smartphone to have.

Now, what keeps Apple going is brand name recognition, and the fact they still have reputation for quality. Shopping on features and specs alone, they don't stand a chance vs Android - and that's coming from a guy who just abandoned Android to get a much more expensive rMini. Arguably, with iOS7 the interface isn't as rich and beautiful as it used to be, at least for a number of users. So unless Apple wants to become another BlackBerry, they better start reinventing iOS and iCloud... This is just my personal and highly subjective opinion. Right now I am content using Apple hardware with Google services and working around the myriad limitations of iOS, but only because I distrust the reliability of Android hardware.
    Kashan Osama and Chrisy like this.
    03-17-2014 10:38 AM
    Just to add... Apple was the first to the market in 2007 and immediately went with a major carrier. Android appeared a year and a half later and on an obscure T-Mobile; it didn't come to major carriers until late 2009, and there wasn't much choice of phones until 2010. So in the 6 years since iPhone hit the shelves, it enjoyed almost 3 years of no competition (unless you count abandonware Palm, BlackBerry and WinMob as competition). And yet the late comer Android grabbed roughly half of the market from it in half the time. Apple does have a long term problem that needs addressing somehow.
    Kashan Osama likes this.
    03-19-2014 09:09 AM
    Apple has 64 bit processing. For music and art, they are unmatched. Im sure some of these are legitimate complaints/opinions....but every complaint I ever heard about Apple was basd on iOS4.....or operator error. One must use all the features like the quick pull down menus that you can access with a quick swipe, without having to unlock the phone. Droid has the screen info at a glance...well that is ok, but exposed. Apple has two quick glance screens that take a quick swipe to activate, making them private until you need to see them and also you have double the viewing capability since it uses the full screen two times, depending on if it is an upswipe, or downswipe. My iPhone5 is set up just how I like it....and I have a full blown 16 track studio in my pocket at all times.....and a complete art studio as well.
    07-09-2014 11:10 AM
    I would love to have icon packs and fonts. Or be able to place my icons wherever I want. I'm not a fan of widgets. Never used them on Android. I just want to have the option of making my phone look different from everyone else's. But truth is that most people don't care. People around here all have the same ringtones and don't bother to change up their icon placement.

07-09-2014 06:58 PM
    I'd like smaller app icons and the option to remove the titles under the icons. Also, please get rid of that grey dock. What purpose does that serve?

Sent from from my iPhone 5
    07-09-2014 07:15 PM
55 123