JailBreak Crashed My Phone? Maybe? Maybe Not?

bgeorge

May 27, 2012
Visit site
So my iPhone 5 was jailbroken, and i have jailbroken before with no issues. Today I lost data service for over 10 hours so was thinking maybe jailbreak? I didn't know. Ended up doing a restore from new, but then when trying to start and activate the phone I kept getting error message on phone saying "device unknown" and then an error message on the iTunes when connected "there is a problem with your iPhone."

Anyone ever had this issue before? Called apple they didn't know so I have to go to an apple store tomorrow.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I've never had that issue before but I really don't think you want to go to Apple. Jailbreaking voids your warranty, so they won't be able to help you without a charge. You may want to reboot your phone by holding the home & power buttons at the same time until you get the Apple logo. If that does't work, try searching the web or youtube a little more or possibly find an iPhone repair place in your area. They're usually not very expensive and most know how to troubleshoot jailbreaking issues.

rdiddy_25

Sep 20, 2009
Visit site
I've never had that issue before but I really don't think you want to go to Apple. Jailbreaking voids your warranty, so they won't be able to help you without a charge. You may want to reboot your phone by holding the home & power buttons at the same time until you get the Apple logo. If that does't work, try searching the web or youtube a little more or possibly find an iPhone repair place in your area. They're usually not very expensive and most know how to troubleshoot jailbreaking issues.

He stated that he restored as new, so they will have no clue that he was jailbroken

rdiddy_25

Sep 20, 2009
Visit site
Similar happened to my ipad also,now im stuck with an expensive iBrick as there is no apple store around me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Place device into dfu mode and restore as new. No need to go to Apple store. If u need help, click link in my signature for step by step guide

Abdl

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Place device into dfu mode and restore as new. No need to go to Apple store. If u need help, click link in my signature for step by step guide

Thanks. But i have already tried that,i have restored in both DFU and Recovery mode,several times,the restore will be successful but then the ipad will not pass the apple logo,it will just keep restarting :(

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. But i have already tried that,i have restored in both DFU and Recovery mode,several times,the restore will be successful but then the ipad will not pass the apple logo,it will just keep restarting :(

You've tried different computers and sync cables etc???
Assuming that you are accurate and have done a restore from DFU, then you have a hardware problem.
However it was not caused by the jailbreak which is software based.
If your device worked fine before you jail broke, and nothing physically happened to it to damage hardware, then I suspect that you haven't achieved an actual DFU restore.
I don't intend to insult you, but you need to KNOW you are in DFU mode. Do you KNOW??
Also, as stated if DFU restore as new doesn't solve your problems then you have a hardware issue and apple repair or third party repair is the only way to go

rayz336

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Assuming that you are accurate and have done a restore from DFU, then you have a hardware problem.
If your device worked fine before you jail broke, and nothing physically happened to it to damage hardware, then I suspect that you haven't achieved an actual DFU restore.
I don't intend to insult you, but you need to KNOW you are in DFU mode. Do you KNOW??
Also, as stated if DFU restore as new doesn't solve your problems then you have a hardware issue and apple repair or third party repair is the only way to go

It definitely sounds like a DFU Restore wasn't achieved or there was a hardware issue

Abdl

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site

I have not tried different computers. But yes! I know DFU,the device's screen would go blank(dark) while itunes will detect it in recovery. The restore has been achieved well also. The issue is pretty miscellaneous,i have never encountered anything like that before. Actually before the incident,the side slide key for mute and screen rotation lock stopped working,might that be a factor?

Abdl

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
It definitely sounds like a DFU Restore wasn't achieved or there was a hardware issue

DFU was achieved accurately,multiple times. My thought is also a hardware problem,but then no apple store in the country and no any professional service person close by

bgeorge

May 27, 2012
Visit site
update this.

I went to apple they had no idea what was wrong with so ended up getting a replacement. So not sure what to the phone.

bobbob1016

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site

Unauthorized modification of iOS can cause security vulnerabilities, instability, shortened battery life, and other issues doesn't mention voiding a warranty. A few years back, I went to an Apple Retail Store, and saw the Employee's phone was jailbroken, as he had 5 icons on the dock. So long as OP wasn't modifying IMEI's, or trying to flash the phone, a restore as new would clear any traces, and s/he'd be good to go.

Edit: Noticed that OP said it wasn't working with iTunes, so a restore wouldn't work. Could have been something with the "Trust This Computer" prompt. I'd think there has to be a way to unjailbreak right from Cydia though. I mean, you have access to everything.

bgeorge

May 27, 2012
Visit site
Unauthorized modification of iOS can cause security vulnerabilities, instability, shortened battery life, and other issues doesn't mention voiding a warranty. A few years back, I went to an Apple Retail Store, and saw the Employee's phone was jailbroken, as he had 5 icons on the dock. So long as OP wasn't modifying IMEI's, or trying to flash the phone, a restore as new would clear any traces, and s/he'd be good to go.

Edit: Noticed that OP said it wasn't working with iTunes, so a restore wouldn't work. Could have been something with the "Trust This Computer" prompt. I'd think there has to be a way to unjailbreak right from Cydia though. I mean, you have access to everything.

I am constantly being asked to trust or don't trust when connecting the phone to the computer. Could that have been the problem?

I am actively not plugging this new phone into the computer just incase that was the issue.

bobbob1016

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I am constantly being asked to trust or don't trust when connecting the phone to the computer. Could that have been the problem?

I am actively not plugging this new phone into the computer just incase that was the issue.

Yeah, if you selected Don't Trust, the iPhone wouldn't detect the computer. There was an exploit with some malicious chargers being able to hack the iPhone iirc. This was introduced to prevent that, but has the side-effect that if you say "Don't Trust" it may not be detected.

The only harm from plugging in to a computer is really just losing the data on the iPhone if you associate it with that iTunes, and have a different AppleID/Library on the other computer.

bgeorge

May 27, 2012
Visit site
This issue is happened again! Brand new iPhone not even 2 weeks old. This issue seems to be happening every two weeks after I jailbreak. What in the world is going on? Do I need a new SIM card? Or what is the deal? Please someone help out here.

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site

I got this before I jailbroke. I still get this even with a new phone. I hate it, but it's just part of iOS. IMO, the only thing selecting not trust does is that my computer will still charge the phone but there isn't an option in My Computer that allows me to view photos on my phone but in the computer browser

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711