What would be your opinion of Apple changing the keyboard to lowercase letters?

pappy53

Banned
Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Just a question to throw out there. What would be your opinion of Apple changing the keyboard to lowercase letters, and only show uppercase when the shift key is activated? This seems like it would be a logical move to me, as then I wouldn't have to look at the shift key to see if it was in upper or lowercase.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
That would definitely be the logical thing to do, and like you, I've a wondered about the exact same thing. I think I'd welcome the change if Apple were to apply it.

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
Always wondered this since I first moved over to Apple...

Now I feel if it has not happened, it won't happen.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I've tried a jailbreak tweak that does exactly that and I found it much more distracting to have the letters switching case when pressing shift. So I uninstalled it.

Distracting in what manner, Karen? I mean, we still have to press the shift key to capitalize letters while typing. I'm just trying to get a better understanding that's all...:)

rayz336

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
In theory, it would make sense for Apple to do that but as Karen said the tweak that did it was distracting. It was odd because it seemed as if they cases switching would always catch the edges of your glance and shift your focus while typing.

pappy53

Banned
Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
For my use, I had rather have a tiny bit of that distraction, rather than having to look at the shift key to see what case that I am in. But that's just me. ☺

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Mikaella11

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
It does sound like a logical thing to do; I'd love it if they changed the keyboard to lowercase letters!

I'm not sure what the "distraction" is exactly, but if I find myself having a difficult time with a new lowercase keyboard, then I'll probably look for an app that will revert to the uppercase.

Amy wineBerry

Oct 15, 2011
Visit site
Err am I missing something here?
I mean each time I hit the shift key the letters change to lower case to high.

They are referring to the keyboard itself and not what is shown while typing. If you look at the keyboard, the letter are all uppercase regardless of whether you hit shift.

Amy wineBerry

Oct 15, 2011
Visit site
Just a question to throw out there. What would be your opinion of Apple changing the keyboard to lowercase letters, and only show uppercase when the shift key is activated? This seems like it would be a logical move to me, as then I wouldn't have to look at the shift key to see if it was in upper or lowercase.

I definitely understand the logic. But I guess Apple has been treating the software keyboard like a physical keyboard. Physical keyboard keys don't change appearance when shift is activated.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I'd welcome it. I'd more so welcome the option to have it to make both parties happy.

I agree it would be nice if Apple started implementing features like this but also keep the option to use the original keyboard if the user wanted. I think that would benefit Apple greatly to compete more with Android as that camp seems to like to beat the customization and ability to choose default apps horse to death as the advantage over iOS.

icu

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
It's one of the most frustrating things for me since getting an iOS device (rMini + Android phone). It's especially frustrating when entering in passwords as my passwords always involve long strings of upper and lower case letters and symbols. Any kind of indication would be nice no matter how subtle, but it just makes total sense (by the same token allowing the use of 3rd party keyboards just makes sense as well so ...).

jburke82

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
It has never been an issue to me, and honestly I don't even know if I have really noticed it until reading the OP's comments! Haha. But now it makes sense; I wouldn't mind it either way. I am so used to the iPhone keyboard as is.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods