Jailbreak question re: default apps

mfm77

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
I had considered jailbreaking awhile ago (pre-iOS 7) but ultimately decided against it. Since then, however, I have found some great app alternatives to the default stock apps and would love to make them my default apps. I do like iOS 7 but, like jailbreakers, find it could be improved with a few tweaks. My question: if I did jailbreak, would I be able to make any app a default app over the current stock app? For example, if I wanted to make Fetchnotes my default note app, could I do that with a jailbreak tweak? Going along with that, could I tell Siri to open Fetchnotes and take a note?

I'm still not likely to jailbreak but might be swayed a bit more if I could do that. Thanks, and happy 2014 to you all!

rdiddy_25

Sep 20, 2009
Visit site
Why would need to jailbreak to do that? If you want to take notes with WHATEVER app u wanted instead of using the stock note app, just open that app instead.

mfm77

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Dude, relax. I'm simply asking whether it's possible to do that. People do jailbreak to change default apps, btw. I just wasn't sure whether there were any limitations.

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I've heard of tweaks that change default browsers. Other than that, I haven't really paid attention.

If you want to use Siri to open your note app, hold your home button and say "Open Fetchnotes" If you're hoping to say "Note: blah" and have Fetchnotes handle it, someone would have to develop the app. I'd imagine if the browser default could be changed, the note app could be as well.

mfm77

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, that's what I meant: tell Siri to note something but put the note into another app. That was just an example, though. Maybe a better one would be to change the default reminders or calendar app so when I said "Remind me to" do something, it would go there. Again, though, this is just me asking out of curiosity; I know nothing about the limits of jailbreaking and am looking to learn more. :)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2