How does everyone feel about in app purchases?

I personally don't mind them if they remove adds, however there are apps that are out there that are marked as free, and have such limited functionality it almost feels as if it isn't fair having to make the in app purchases to use the app. What are your thoughts?
    12-25-2013 01:34 PM
    To unlock additional, value-added functions... OK... If it's to make a free demo app actually function as desired vs buying the app up front... That kind of bugs me.
    iOS Gravity and Spencerdl like this.
    12-25-2013 01:50 PM
    I like to pay up front

What u don't like is when you pay for an app and then they want you to pay more just give me a fair price

Also I dislike when they try to trick you into buying stuff with pop-up windows

Sent from my iPhone 5s Gold 64GB
    12-25-2013 02:16 PM
    I don't have a problem with IAP to remove ads. I think it's cool when they are willing to give you the full application for free. I will usually pay if I think the app is good. A few bucks to kill ads is a small price to pay for supporting good software.

IAP for me only gets carried away on games and stuff where you have to pay to play and the like.
    12-25-2013 07:04 PM
    tacky....like wheres my water 2; that didnt work out.
    12-27-2013 11:43 PM
    Bought my first in app purchase the app was free (Fast and Furious 6) the game is well made and I needed a lot of NOS so I ponied up 2.99 for 30pieces of Gold

Logic I got it free and it's worth the 2.99 for the game so I paid up now I will see if I'm gonna get pestered to buy more time will tell

12-28-2013 07:07 PM
    I like to pay up front

What u don't like is when you pay for an app and then they want you to pay more just give me a fair price

I feel the same way and that is why I disable in-app purchases on my iPad Mini. My youngest son uses it to play games and some of them are downright shameless in the manner they try to trick the user into making a purchase.
    12-28-2013 08:19 PM
    I hate in app currency. I'd rather pay for the full app.
    Spencerdl likes this.
    12-28-2013 10:40 PM
    I don't like them. I'd rather pay once up front and have them leave me alone after.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Spencerdl likes this.
    12-29-2013 01:49 PM
    I like to pay up front

Goodness I hate that! It's like okay I just paid $1.99 for xyz but now you want me to pay $2.99 for abc instead of unlocking it completely when I paid $1.99 the first time.

Sent from my [Gold] iPhone 5S
    Spencerdl likes this.
    01-02-2014 11:07 PM
    Hate the pop up windows, rather pay up front and be done with it.
    Spencerdl likes this.
    01-02-2014 11:46 PM
    Bought my first in app purchase the app was free (Fast and Furious 6) the game is well made and I needed a lot of NOS so I ponied up 2.99 for 30pieces of Gold

Logic I got it free and it's worth the 2.99 for the game so I paid up now I will see if I'm gonna get pestered to buy more time will tell

just as I thought in order to beat the best and get his car I need to buy more Nos in fact it states you will not win unless you upgrade then goes to the Touch ID window to pay and doesn't even give you the price. Unbelievable
    01-03-2014 12:26 AM
    As most have said and I agree totally, I'd rather pay one price upfront and be done with it
    kataran and iOS Gravity like this.
    01-03-2014 04:12 AM
    If done correctly, I think they're great.
    The problem I find is that "freemium" apps are moving back to a pricing model that reminds me of the early 90's Shareware model.

Paying to unlock additional features? Sure, great.

Downloading a "free" app that is just a demo *cough*LegoStarWars*cough* with in app purchases to buy the remaining episodes is a poor excuse for in-app purchases. It also obfuscates the full cost of the app, which if it was shown up front, would show that the app is excessively expensive.
    kataran likes this.
    01-04-2014 08:47 PM
    If it's done right (like FIFA 14) I don't mind, but if you pay for an app and you have to use in app purchases for unlocking the "full game" (expect if it's an expansion pack) then that's just wrong.

Sent from my iPhone 5S or 5th gen iPod Touch using Tapatalk
    01-10-2014 10:34 AM
    I like buy apps. But almost all my friends looks to an AppStore when they see a price for an app like this : "wtf 1 euro???" Like if it's a thousand. It's just a coffee. And they smoke and have other addicts. I'm thinking about buy the wake alarm. 1,79. I can't get up early for gym. I don't know if this will help me:
    https://itunes.apple.com/pt/app/wake...mUvbUpU2168692

Come on developers! Make apps! We buy it !
    01-10-2014 07:34 PM
    I don't mind mind in-app purchases. However, I do hate it when ads popup. Also, I'd feel really let down if an inapp purchase was required before I can go go to a next game level or something. On the other hand, if it was just an option to, say add a little more aesthetic to the village or farm, then it's ok. At least I can still enjoy the game w/o any unnecessary purchase on my part.
    01-11-2014 07:44 PM
    Depends on what the purchase is. I don't mind paying to remove adds, or if it's to buy something like a comic. I don't like those games where they expect you to keep purchasing things to progress with the game.
    01-13-2014 04:00 PM
    Don't like them. When "free" games are built around the fact that you have to pay money to finish/compete in the game. So annoying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    01-26-2014 08:30 PM
    Nothing like downloading a "free" game only to find out the developer made it impossibly hard unless you purchase weapons and what not. 😡

I don't do Pay to Win...EVER

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    01-27-2014 12:14 AM
    I personally prefer to pay for a game instead of IAP. I realised I actually started to spend more money than what I would spend on a game alone.
    01-28-2014 11:32 PM
    It's gotten to the point that if an app has in-app purchases I will gladly pass it up.

The Real Racing 3 game namely, player experience has been ruined by this IAP.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app
    02-14-2014 10:15 AM
    I personally don't buy any apps at all to be honest as there are enough good apps for free but if there is that one just have to have it I will buy the Premium or Pro version to begin with and not buy anything in app.
    02-16-2014 06:54 PM
    I hate DLC or in app purchases of any kind. I just want to buy games or apps and be done with it.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
    02-16-2014 07:03 PM
    I think where it gets tricky is with kids. I have mine turned off in restrictions so when they are using my phone or iPad I don't have any unwanted charges.
    02-16-2014 07:13 PM