Difference between Settings>iCloud and Settings>Mail>iCloud?

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
I'm wondering what the difference is between these...I went to the first one today (Settings>iCloud) and turned on Safari, thinking it would sync my bookmarks, but nothing happened. It was only when I toggled Safari on in the second one (Settings>Mail, Contacts, Calendars>iCloud) that my bookmarks were synced between iPhone and iPad.

Why are there two places to log in? And why did only the second one produce the expected result? Both have the same account info.

y8etujy4.jpg

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Well this is weird. Now it seems to work with just the first one. Maybe I had a flaky internet connection. Never mind!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
There is no difference. I can only assume that the first one is used to get new iOS customers to quickly and easily sign up for an iCloud account. The second one is just to keep all configured email accounts together in one location. I don't have any data to back up my opinion, however.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Ok, the I guess the question is does the configuration update when the two pref panes aren't the same? If they don't auto update themselves it seems like it could get awfully confusing for a user.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Ok, the I guess the question is does the configuration update when the two pref panes aren't the same? If they don't auto update themselves it seems like it could get awfully confusing for a user.

I believe it's like a database... you've got one file with all the data stored - and just two "different" front-end forms to interact with the database - I don't believe it's possible to have the two panes display differently.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro