Hard Reset???

vinny jr

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
Have had the iPhone 5S for a few months, being relatively new to IOS and sometimes are given wrong info I find myself coming to this forum to get the facts. Is there a certain time table where the iPhone 5S needs to get a maintenance Hard Reset? Just seen a YouTube video saying that the Hard Reset will speed up your phone and also eliminate all old saved cache.
PS One added question has to do with the SpotLight Search. I also saw in the same video if I uncheck all the apps in the SpotLight search feature it would eliminate the collection of unneeded cache and would give the phone more memory or ram to be used on other parts of the phone.
Any help in these areas would be welcomed.
Thank You Very Much,
Vinny

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I personally turn my phone off and back on once a week to refresh things but it's up to you. The spotlight search is up to you, if you don't search for items on your phone then you can uncheck the ones you don't want, and again it's up to you.

Sent from my 5th gen iPod Touch or iPhone 5S iPhone using Tapatalk

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
To answer your main Question there is no Maintenance Reset schedule on the iPhone 5S

IOS 7 is actually designed to manage Ram usage so there's no need to manually do it yourself with that said a Hard Reset can be used if a hiccup accrues or an app stops responding

Sent from my iPhone 5

sanc333

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Better than doing a hard reset, i would advice you to completely drain the battery of your phone once in 10 days. Drain the battery completely and then charge it to 100%. This would not only remove the old cache but also increase the life of Li ion battery.
Per the spotlight search, unchecking those tabs would reduce the cache.

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums mobile app

i7guy

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
Better than doing a hard reset, i would advice you to completely drain the battery of your phone once in 10 days. Drain the battery completely and then charge it to 100%. This would not only remove the old cache but also increase the life of Li ion battery.
Per the spotlight search, unchecking those tabs would reduce the cache.

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums mobile app

Could you provide some web links from authoritative sources as to why li ion batteries have to be conditioned and why discharge will increase the life. There is a recent article on Wikipedia that states one type of li ion reactant will acquire a memory effect. But barring that particular reactant, why deep discharge?

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Cellphone battery charge memory is a thing of the past but people still feel the need to fully discharge there batteries out of ritual I assume

Sent from my iPhone 5

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
Apple Genius Bar instructs to power off the phone and turn it back on and not to hard reset. Only preform a hard reset if an app or phone is crashed otherwise it does not shut down properly and can cause file corruption ...

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal