With no new jailbreaks in a while, is anyone really missing them these days?

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I stopped caring about jailbreaking right after the first time I did my 3G, never really saw the attraction. (Yawn)

There were some pretty good hacks out for iOS 6, I liked being able to download files directly to my device to store for later ... Perhaps someday apple will get the sandbox sorted so we can do it natively.

yzjustdatguy

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
I don't miss the jailbreak as much but I do miss having features like biteSMS, abilities to speed up the OS a little, status bar enhancements and theming of course. If I had the option to go back to iOS 6.1.2 for the jailbreak I definitely would though

ZanKuvy

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site
There is no jail break because there is no reason to do it anymore, it's not that's impossible to do, there is simply no demand for it.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
There is no jail break because there is no reason to do it anymore, it's not that's impossible to do, there is simply no demand for it.

Completely untrue. There is both plenty of demand and plenty of work being done to make it happen.

mikeo007

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
My iPad is still jailbroken. The only tweaks I have are the WebGL enabler and the one that lets 3rd party apps use the Nitro JS engine rather than the slow version that they're forced to use by default.

My phone on the other hand, I ditched the jailbreak as soon as I saw the first iOS 7 beta. I don't honestly think there's anything that it needs from a jailbreak at this time.

neurodave

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I can't say I don't miss being jailbroken, but I just don't care much anymore. Before, I would follow the status of the jailbreaks religiously and as soon as it became available, I was on it like white on bread. Now, if it comes it comes, if it doesn't, oh well....

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
I can't say I don't miss being jailbroken, but I just don't care much anymore. Before, I would follow the status of the jailbreaks religiously and as soon as it became available, I was on it like white on bread. Now, if it comes it comes, if it doesn't, oh well....

This is pretty much how I feel these days.

ZanKuvy

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site
Couldn't be further from the truth

Then, where is the jailbreak? I should have said that it was the way I feel, not that there is no actual demand for it, but, it seems that, with iOS 7 and all it's goodies, people just don't care that much anymore about messing with their devices because they are satisfied (most of them) with what they have, at least that's the way I perceive it and I include myself in that list.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Then, where is the jailbreak? I should have said that it was the way I feel, not that there is no actual demand for it, but, it seems that, with iOS 7 and all it's goodies, people just don't care that much anymore about messing with their devices because they are satisfied (most of them) with what they have, at least that's the way I perceive it and I include myself in that list.

Jailbreaks commonly take months of work before they appear in public...iOS 7 is still a very new OS. Remember, iOS 6 was released in September (just like iOS 7)but the evasi0n jailbreak wasn't released until the following February.

anon(8221395)

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
But to be honest, I personally don't like that look at all. iOS 7 looks a lot better to me. Even when I had my jailbroken iPhone 4, all I used were tweaks. I don't ever get themes because I think they just look tacky. The tweaks are awesome and I can't wait for the jailbreak for iOS 7. I can only imagine all the cool little things we'll be able to do. But if you like it, awesome. It's your phone.

I agree with you.

ninjamattic

Oct 25, 2009
Visit site
I quit jailbreaking after iOS 5. The features I used to jailbreak for had already been mainline into the OS, and I just didn't see the point anymore.

rayz336

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Personally, I can't wait for a jailbreak to be released. BiteSMS alone was a good enough reason for me to be jailbroken.

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site

You perceive it because you don't understand it. On older devices, there was a bootrom exploit. That made new nailbreaks much easier to complete. The exploit allowed jailbreakers to inject code before the os had the chance to enable security features, including the sandbox.

Apple encrypts and hides the bootrom to take this ability away. This leaves jailbreakers looking for a series of bugs to exploit to gain access to the phone. The problem with needing a group of bugs to gain access is Apple doesn't need to fix them all to break the method being used. You can see this with 6.1.3. They fixed enough such that it broke evasi0n, but not so much that the older devices couldn't still run the semi-tethered jailbreak.

As the new iOS is released, bugs get cleaned up. Code isn't completely rewritten with each new iOS. This means fixing the bug in iOS 5 often means the bug won't reappear in iOS 6 or 7 etc. This reduces the area one can find bugs. Functionality that has existed has been scoured by both apple and jailbreakers. Useful bugs are less likely to exist in these areas. That doesn't mean they can't. Look at evasi0n using the area media is transferred to as an example. It just means if there are any useful bugs, they won't likely exist in updates.

All of this means it's more difficult to jailbreak each new iOS. You can't simply claim it takes longer so therefore nobody is trying. It SHOULD take longer. As far as demand, the iOS 6 jailbreak took roughly five months. How many millions downloaded it in the first 24 hours? That's a good indication that a long time to jailbreak isn't representative of limited demand.

I'm curious what your perception is based on. It's certainly not founded on an understanding of either demand or process.

anon(8221395)

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Themes are just not my thing. Now, when I had android phones I would get some themes sometimes. But, I would take them off pretty promptly.

Yea, android had too many themes and launcher options. You could spend hours setting up a new theme and then realize you don't like the launcher and then start all over with a new launcher. It got to be too much. Sometimes less is more.

rayz336

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Yea, android had too many themes and launcher options. You could spend hours setting up a new theme and then realize you don't like the launcher and then start all over with a new launcher. It got to be too much. Sometimes less is more.

It's always nice to have the option to customize in my opinion

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods