Anyone using much more data with iOS 7?

orangeman

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I have gone over my data limit 2 months in a row, twice as much as usual. At first I figured it had to be my fault, and I reviewed the data usage of the various apps, but I feel like something is happening in iOS 7 that I don't realize. I never go over my 2GB limit.

Has anyone else experienced this and learned anything to help? Thanks in advance.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Do you frequently surf the web, stream music and/or video or use social networking apps via LTE? If so, go through each setting, including app settings, and make changes where you think is necessary.

Reparkable

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
Do you have auto update apps on? I do but it's only restricted to wifi. That way it doesn't eat up data through my carrier

Sent from my iPhone 5 iMore Forum App

orangeman

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I currently have a 5S but owned a 5 for a full year so I've had no LTE data draining behavior on iOS 6. I have cellular data turned off for anything related to apps or iTunes. I don't stream any music at all. When I compile the usage by app, it doesn't add up to what they say I am using so I'm thinking there is something in the system that is pinging or something.

I'll keep searching. Thanks for the suggestions.

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I haven't noticed any change in my data usage with iOS7, I do make sure that Auto Updates are turned off, and also make sure that my mobile hotspot switch is always off when I am done using it. Let us know what you discover, and welcome to the forums.

orangeman

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I checked Settings>Cellular and looked at the usage in each app. I think I found the culprit. I like to run the Speedtest app to see how the speeds compare in different areas. It's a bad habit.

In 10 days this app used 353MB! That's over 1GB in a month, half of my data. Wow, I need to break that habit right now!

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I checked Settings>Cellular and looked at the usage in each app. I think I found the culprit. I like to run the Speedtest app to see how the speeds compare in different areas. It's a bad habit.

In 10 days this app used 353MB! That's over 1GB in a month, half of my data. Wow, I need to break that habit right now!

WOW:straight-face:

theKHMERboy

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I feel the same way it seems like I am going over my data more then usual and the weird part is that I have 6gb a month on my plan.. How is that possible?

eve6er69

Trusted Member
Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
Maybe for some people ios7 had caused a data leak. I've heard of it with some phones before.

Sent from my Note 3 using iMore Forums mobile app

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
My data usage is the same in iOS 7 as iOS 6 and iOS 5. iTunes Radio is the only thing that affects my usage in iOS 7

Sent from my iPod touch (5th generation) or iPhone 4S (iPhone 5S on order) using Tapatalk.

dtblair24

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

Lol I had this problem too. With my sprint phone I am always checking LTE speeds everywhere I go. I was so excited to see how fast ATT was I kept checking out of bad habit.

Racked up nearly 400mb ASAP. Felt so dumb. I also ignorantly downloaded all my apps over LTE. Anddd that's how I racked up over 1GB of data on day one of my contract lol. Needless to say it was quite a wake up call.

Fortheus

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
I also found that graphic heavy apps use lots of data. 3-5 mb for facebook/few hours. 30-40 mb for speedtest app per test.

I spend around 100 mb/ day with moderate usage. I believe is due to higher bandwidth make the app use less compression (if any) during media download

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I just looked after randomly checking this post.

Facebook has used 1.2GB since Nov 1st. Wtf???????

At some point "background app refresh" was added to the Facebook app in an update so that might be the cause of your higher data usage

Sent from my iPod touch (5th generation) or iPhone 4S (iPhone 5S on order) using Tapatalk.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR