Looking to the Future: iOS 8 and Beyond

DaPhoneking

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
- I would like to see with messages that you can respond to a message from within an app instead of switching to the messages app

- Localized Siri.

- FaceTime group conferencing would be nice.

- Better recognization from the TouchID sensor

- Themes

- Better voice dictation

- Bluetooth sharing

Sent from the shadows of darkness using Tapatalk

anon(27512)

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Notification Center

Lock screen widgets
3rd party devs allowed to create widgets
Gesture controlled (swipe to delete notifications)
Actionable notifications (reply to texts, etc)

Safari

Full screen mode on iPad
Extensions

Camera App

Photo rewind (like blackberry)
Photosphere feature (like android)

Settings

Set default apps (calendar, SMS, browser, calculator, etc
Ability to delete stock apps, download them from App Store if we want them back
User created gestures
Change system fonts, colors, theme, iMessage bubble colors
Guest Mode multiple user login for iOS devices
Blackberry balance like work and home modes

App Store

New App Store design. Easier to discover, and search for apps.
Remove useless "nearby" tab.

Spotlight+Siri

Integrated (launch Siri from Spotlight search box)
Allow developers to build into Spotlight to search their apps
Allow Siri to control third party apps (like Rdio)
Music Tagging (Shazam, Soundhound)
Search by photo (tineye)
Have WebOS like ?Just Type? Functionality (Just Type: The Best Feature No One?s Stolen (Yet) | Pocketnow )
Google Now like cards accessible from spotlight.
Move spotlight back to the left of the first home screen.

PassBook

Support for credit/debt cards, transit passes, etc.
Support for NFC hardware

Automater for iOS

Create workflows
Same basic functions as the OS X version.

FaceTime

Group FaceTime
Screen sharing
integrated into iMessage like Google Hangouts

Photostream

Add method of approving photos/comments to photo stream

Sharing Options

Allow devs to add their service to sharing menus when user grants them permission.
Users control which apps or services appear in the share menu.

iFiles

File system for iOS
Allow users to share, view, edit, create files on the device or iCloud.
Sync with iFiles on Mac (companion app)
Easy for developers to access, store, edit and create files on user?s behalf.

Maps

Buy TomTom
Allow users to control data layers
More data layers (transit, pollution, landforms, landmarks, etc)
Card-like interfaces for business (like new Google Maps)
Foursquare and Yelp integration for businesses

Apple Social Network

Anticipating iOS 7: Apple Gets Social
Web front (not iOS only)
Push notifications
Private messaging
Profile based network like Google+ or Facebook
Google+ like friends management
Pretty looking

Last edited:

ces_garc94

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
In terms of hardware, one thing we really do need is a bigger and longer lasting battery! I don't know about you guys but the battery will be a big deciding factor for me when my upgrade comes for the next gen iphone

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
In terms of hardware, one thing we really do need is a bigger and longer lasting battery! I don't know about you guys but the battery will be a big deciding factor for me when my upgrade comes for the next gen iphone

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

Interesting ..I have the Blackberry Z10, I had the Galaxy S3, and I can honestly say that I get BETTER battery life on my iPhone 5s. IMHO...this short battery life that the iPhone is accused of having, is NOT exactly true in MY world of smartphone usage. However, just like with the Z10 and SG3, I carry an extra battery (Mophie Air) for my iPhone 5s. All three devices are/was on the Verizon network and where I live, I have excellent signal and my phone is not always looking for a signal which can drain batteries.

Metro1088

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
The only thing I'm really looking forward to is iOS getting support for more languages. Bulgarian is still missing and for older people this is a deal-breaker.

mfm77

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Two musts for me: better notifications, and file attachments for emails. Everything else is icing on the cake.

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums mobile app

Richard Nieves

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
The next iOS needs to be optimized for the large iPad screens. There is a lot of screen real estate and now even more powerful processors, this could be put to even better use with the large screens.

I agree. I love my ipad but I really do wish it used its screen realist ate better. Better yet, I wish it was more of a mash up of Mac OS and ios. Not a full fledged os and was based mainly on ios, but had more features and a different home screen set up. Some Mac OS features I would like to see

- multitasking (side by side apps
- more intelligent 3 finger gesture. Can someone tell me what app I'm switching too? It would be nice to arrange your open apps. And then simply swipe through those. The current way cycles through in a way witch makes no sense to me. I love the three finger gestures to navigate just please make it more understandable.

- a more robots notifications tray. This can be similar to OS X with the ability to pull it open from the side. Due to larger status bar it would also be nice to have notification add on pop up here.

- for control center, just add it to the multitasking menu. I'd much rather swipe up to multitask anyway. I hate double tapping!

- maybe some widgets and an app drawer for apps?

- allow more content types and some simple file management as well as uploading and downloading from the web. WHY DOES IOS NOT ALLOW UPLOADING FILES TO THE WEB YET!!! It's essential! Especially for a tablet!

I think this about sums it up. For the iPad.

These are for ios in general
-For notifications I love the new today screen. PLEASE ALLOW THIRD PARTIES TO ADD CONTENT HERE! The today screen has the potential to be an awesome day planner, just needs third party support. Also remove the missing tab and condense the weather on the today screen to a widget similar to ios 6 (shows today's weather in icon and number form and tapping it changes to week form)
-Allow third party support for contacts, calendar, Siri and reminders. This will extremely add functionality and ability to the system.
- give Siri some new features similar if not better to google now.
- please bring back list view in calendar and allow reminder integration into calendar ie, reminders show up on the calendar if they are assigned a date.
- use more of the dark theme and maybe instead of plain white the background could be a whitened blur of the home screen.
- more design polish. It just doesn't seem as polished as ios 6. I like the general more modern look but some elements really bother me.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
When I think of a new iOS I want to see changes made to make things easier, faster and more efficient for the user. I like iOS 7 and the few things I didn't like about the interface I got used to. So I wouldn't change anything just smoothe out the rough edges to make things more consistent and work like butter. As for the things I'd like to see in iOS 8 quite a few are from my wants for iOS 7 because Apple probably either wont do them or they just haven't gotten around to an implimentation of the idea.

Local Siri for basic set of commands - It's silly when I ask Siri to call someone and it fails because there is no internet connection. The contacts are on the phone and dialing the number is a simple task. I feel this would make Siri seem more reliable and take some of the strain from the servers due to less requests. It would also allow faster response from Siri and go towards getting more users to use the feature.

Access to playlists from lock screen - It is silly for a user to need to unlock the device and launch the music player just to browse a playlist and play one song. There is a Jailbreak tweak which does just that already. It allows you access to the playlists from the control center. It results in less time with the screen on which translates into battery life savings. It might be only a few seconds but it does add up especially for people who listen to music constantly.

Up Next feature in the music app - They already have this in iTunes on the computer. Playlists and music libraries are enormous. Plus most people at times have a set of songs they want to listen to at times. Also sometimes you are listening to a song and you just want to hear a particular song afterwards. It would be easy to just look through your playlist find the song and tap a + to add it to the up next que.

App/folder icons anywhere on the home screen grid - I don't want the ability to put the icons anywhere. It will still adhere to the grid currently used for icons. I just want the ability to put the icons anywhere on the grid that I choose. If I want icons down the left and right edge of the screen, in a sqaure border, etc. It's cosmetic but it adds to the ability to distinguish devices. I understand that Apple wants to keep it simple for the majority of their users. When the app is installed have it go to the grid like usual. So the user can then tap and hold to move the app after that. The regular user will just accept the apps position once installed. Anyone that is advanced enough to know how to move an app can't be confused they know where they put the icon. I just don't see the downside.

Logical Siri - What I mean is that right now using Siri the device doesn't function logically, or maybe naturally is a better word, like you would expect. If you're listening to a song in a playlist and you ask Siri to play a particular song. The song will play and then silence when it ends. Naturally you would have expected the rest of the playlist to continue playing. The same thing if I use Siri to make a phone call in the middle of a podcast or playlist.

More powerful Siri I want to be able to say "Siri shuffle my playlist" and be asked which playlist and then it plays shuffled. Right now I can use Siri to play the playlist that is all. I have many Calendars and many Reminder lists. If I try to add and event or a task it's a nightmare so I don't even bother trying. I want Siri to see that a holiday is coming up and prompt me "Do you want to disable your 6AM alarm due to tommorow's holiday?". I want to use Siri as a real digital assistant, maybe I'm expecting too much but better to aim for the moon right?

TouchID for at the least Apple apps - I'd like to see TouchID used for more but I understand if it's not done just yet. However at least for Apple's own apps it seems silly that I can't use TouchID for those. The Apple Store app is an example so I'd like to see them at least extend it to cover all of their own stuff.

More DnD options - This one is simple many people don't have the same block of time every single day where they don't want to be disturbed. You might want to sleep in on the weekends, have a different schedule, etc. Like the alarms I want to be able to set different DnD ranges.

Customized Control Center(CC) buttons - The CC is easy to get to, it's available from the lock screen. Now I just want to be able to set at the very least the buttons inside. I like the ability to turn BT and Wifi on/off but DnD is of no use to me. So if I could change that to Data it would give me an easy way to turn my Data on and off.

Kashan Osama

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
When I think of a new iOS I want to see changes made to make things easier, faster and more efficient for the user. I like iOS 7 and the few things I didn't like about the interface I got used to. So I wouldn't change anything just smoothe out the rough edges to make things more consistent and work like butter. As for the things I'd like to see in iOS 8 quite a few are from my wants for iOS 7 because Apple probably either wont do them or they just haven't gotten around to an implementation of the idea.

Local Siri for basic set of commands - It's silly when I ask Siri to call someone and it fails because there is no internet connection. The contacts are on the phone and dialing the number is a simple task. I feel this would make Siri seem more reliable and take some of the strain from the servers due to less requests. It would also allow faster response from Siri and go towards getting more users to use the feature.

Access to playlists from lock screen - It is silly for a user to need to unlock the device and launch the music player just to browse a playlist and play one song. There is a Jailbreak tweak which does just that already. It allows you access to the playlists from the control center. It results in less time with the screen on which translates into battery life savings. It might be only a few seconds but it does add up especially for people who listen to music constantly.

Up Next feature in the music app - They already have this in iTunes on the computer. Playlists and music libraries are enormous. Plus most people at times have a set of songs they want to listen to at times. Also sometimes you are listening to a song and you just want to hear a particular song afterwards. It would be easy to just look through your playlist find the song and tap a + to add it to the up next que.

App/folder icons anywhere on the home screen grid - I don't want the ability to put the icons anywhere. It will still adhere to the grid currently used for icons. I just want the ability to put the icons anywhere on the grid that I choose. If I want icons down the left and right edge of the screen, in a sqaure border, etc. It's cosmetic but it adds to the ability to distinguish devices. I understand that Apple wants to keep it simple for the majority of their users. When the app is installed have it go to the grid like usual. So the user can then tap and hold to move the app after that. The regular user will just accept the apps position once installed. Anyone that is advanced enough to know how to move an app can't be confused they know where they put the icon. I just don't see the downside.

Logical Siri - What I mean is that right now using Siri the device doesn't function logically, or maybe naturally is a better word, like you would expect. If you're listening to a song in a playlist and you ask Siri to play a particular song. The song will play and then silence when it ends. Naturally you would have expected the rest of the playlist to continue playing. The same thing if I use Siri to make a phone call in the middle of a podcast or playlist.

More powerful Siri I want to be able to say "Siri shuffle my playlist" and be asked which playlist and then it plays shuffled. Right now I can use Siri to play the playlist that is all. I have many Calendars and many Reminder lists. If I try to add and event or a task it's a nightmare so I don't even bother trying. I want Siri to see that a holiday is coming up and prompt me "Do you want to disable your 6AM alarm due to tommorow's holiday?". I want to use Siri as a real digital assistant, maybe I'm expecting too much but better to aim for the moon right?

TouchID for at the least Apple apps - I'd like to see TouchID used for more but I understand if it's not done just yet. However at least for Apple's own apps it seems silly that I can't use TouchID for those. The Apple Store app is an example so I'd like to see them at least extend it to cover all of their own stuff.

More DnD options - This one is simple many people don't have the same block of time every single day where they don't want to be disturbed. You might want to sleep in on the weekends, have a different schedule, etc. Like the alarms I want to be able to set different DnD ranges.

Customized Control Center(CC) buttons - The CC is easy to get to, it's available from the lock screen. Now I just want to be able to set at the very least the buttons inside. I like the ability to turn BT and Wifi on/off but DnD is of no use to me. So if I could change that to Data it would give me an easy way to turn my Data on and off.

I second this,Well iOS is based on a completely different concept: on giving users a simple,easy and friendly user-experience,in addition to that,they might consider these things aswell...

1. Making touch ID available to devs for their apps

2. Following from above,option to set password on apps or use touch id for apps

3. To have place your quick notes on NC in order to view that easily

4. The reminders are always shown up in NC and NOT just only when the reminder time comes close

5.Homebutton touch alternative: NOT as some awkward accessibility option but as a useful and sound alternative,to effieciently switch b/w the apps,it is really a bother to press homebutton every time when you are on touch...

6. Have some improvements with design choices of iOS keyboard "keys design" (it has gone old and boring and bit unintuitive aswell) and ability to have swipe (which can be turned off of course),and a fifth row of numerals/symbols

7. To have the ability to modify the order of apps in which notifications display,like if we want to keep reminder app notification on top,we can adjust it,and it won't go down in the list no matter how much,say messages/mails we receive
7. To give apps some sort of freedom to integrate a bit into the OS while this,I consider is highly likely to happen,but still It would be extremely good (keyboard apps,other apps I can't seem to remember BUT they are essentials if they can integrate into OS it would be good)

8. A common file-manager that at least covers files/data of basic iOS apps (MAIL,reminders,notes,ibooks etc) and have the option to send the data b/w apps open them..

9. Make iWork an already integrated app

10. have siri the ability to close the apps and with it,possibly a switch impose restrictions on Siri...

11. Other small enhancements in mail app (more options to do stuff)

12. AND THIS: Appswitcher/NC/swipe from bottom left to mid right (well that sounds silly sorry) gesture, to open a quick launcher to quickly launch apps from there,THIS IS THE most freakin annoyance,hindering productivity of phone,we have to go the homescreen and then swipe/tap the app button,quick launch can have apps such as "phone,mail,messages" etc upto 4-6 apps...

OR

maybe some alternative that provide quick moving from app to app...

OR

have the ability to spotlight search from anywhere

13. and this aswell :D -> Quick Reply for "Mail and messages",may be quick compose aswell,the bitesms integration of quick compose is exceptionally freakingly awesome...

14. Other little improvements in "NEW" safari (bring back some useful options of ios 6 safari)

Mail (have more customizability,ability to have a folder to save attachments,this is only viable if we
would have a built-in file manager)

Messages app NEED much needed features:
  • It must have an option to delay send like bitesms or cancel a text while sending (delay-sending is preferable as cancelling sometimes doesn't actually cancel the message,part of which is received on the recipient's phone)

• and this,the feature which Only I,myself had advocated in the whole cruel world (LOL) Ability to copy a part of the text from the text bubble

• copy multiple bubbles at once in messages app

• to have a private folder where all hidden messages go (much like screened messages on feature phones)

15. Remainders: Lockscreen have Remainders set on NC displayed

16. Notes:

• Lockscreen can have notes displayed
  • ability to categorize notes,in notes app

OR

14. Snippets on Home Screen :-,now this will require widgets, Apple won't do it ever but still xD it would be extremely productive if Apple introduce Widgets on Homescreen and change the look of first home screen (which will show widgets,the look factor is for the fact that the first homescreen looks more oriented towards widgets rather than icons) and the icons are just a swipe away

Now what does these snippets do,these snippets acts like pinned notices on notice boards/or even maybe they can be tiles,always keep us reminded of information,any useful thing,or any other info,relating to studies,Bank account code etc etc etc.these snippets are directly integrate with notes app,so these would be extremely helpful? how is the idea folks do tell me?

17. Ability to modify Control Center,adding more switches,more options,change options etc etc

And here is my personal idea...

OK customizability is not Apple's cup of tea,but they can still provide some sort of "internal settings option" along with a switch in options -> system -> turn internal settings on/off

So that those who want to use the device as it is don't even bother for it and those who want to tweak their device a little can turn the option on....It would be extremely productive to me...

This is my longest post here,really really looking forward to the ambassadors and the mods and seniors members to have a look at it and have their say/comments/criticisms...Why am I saying this? because I spend a whole lot of time in it with enthusiasm and sort of from the heart :) It is difficult to explain but,I have started to love apple...

Last edited:

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I also want less interuptions in iOS 8. An example is when calls come in they take over the whole phone. The screen is used by the phone interface and once you have answered the call you must then return to the home screen and relaunch whatever app you were using at the time. It is frustrating at times and it requires more work from the user. Instead I would prefer the call controls to overlay on top of the frozen app allowing you to interact with your call. It works well with the new iOS 7 transparency theme because the call screen would show the app beneatch just as the NC shows the home screen beneath. The top taskbar would turn green even when the call controls are on screen. So once you've answered, added a call, switched a call etc. you tap the taskbar and the call controls disappear and the app you were in is on screen as before and resumes from the frozen state. This is less interruption for the user and takes away some of the effort to then get back into the flow you were in before the call.

Call comes in, the app is frozen and remains on screen, the top taskbar turns green to minimize and maximize call controls
Call.jpg

After call is answered, user input etc. tap the taskbar and the call controls go away putting you back into the app
In Call.jpg

Tommy-boy

Mar 11, 2014
Visit site
I'd like for iOS8 to reverse course on the flat cartoonish look of the UI. iOS 7 looks like an aging program from the mid-80s with a UI designed by Nickelodeon.

-Tom

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I honestly think that based on what I have seen in the medical apps now...IOS 8 is going to take the medical field to a new level of treatment where you won't even have to see your doctor except over the phone and depending can give a diagnosis and treatment right over the phone.

Amamba

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
There's a ton of things they could do, but the top ones in my opinion are

• Better multitasking
  • A semblance of file management
  • Customizable "Today" pulldown - the current one is a joke
  • Show reminders and events in one calendar view.
  • Open up FaceTime to other platforms, unless you want it to be that obscure thing people used before Hangouts.
  • Themes would be nice... if only icon themes. Widgets would be better, but it's very un-Apple.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2