How do I put my own music on to iTunes?

budmonster

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
Just picked up an Air a few days ago, first time Apple user. I got a bunch of mp3s, etc. that aren't from iTunes. How do I throw them onto iTunes so I can simply play them on my iPad.

Thanks - DR

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Just picked up an Air a few days ago, first time Apple user. I got a bunch of mp3s, etc. that aren't from iTunes. How do I throw them onto iTunes so I can simply play them on my iPad.

Thanks - DR

On your computer, just navigate to where the songs are and drag them into iTunes... or alternatively, in iTunes, you can go to File / Add to Library and select your music.

budmonster

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
On your computer, just navigate to where the songs are and drag them into iTunes... or alternatively, in iTunes, you can go to File / Add to Library and select your music.

Thanks, that was simple :) I also bought an Apple TV and was playing music tonight, really easy. Another dumb question though, when I drag these mp3s from my PC into the iTunes PC application, where are the mp3s stored afterwards? Does Apple store them somewhere on a server like Google Play does? They allow you store some 20,000 songs for free. With Google Play I would just put my music in my the "Music" folder on my PC and Google Music Manager just automatically uploads them to it's website so I no longer need the mp3s on my PC/HDD and can just delete them. Can I now do the same here? I'm just confused on how iTunes stores my music that isn't downloaded from it's iTunes store?

Blue Shift

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, that was simple :) I also bought an Apple TV and was playing music tonight, really easy. Another dumb question though, when I drag these mp3s from my PC into the iTunes PC application, where are the mp3s stored afterwards? Does Apple store them somewhere on a server like Google Play does? They allow you store some 20,000 songs for free. With Google Play I would just put my music in my the "Music" folder on my PC and Google Music Manager just automatically uploads them to it's website so I no longer need the mp3s on my PC/HDD and can just delete them. Can I now do the same here? I'm just confused on how iTunes stores my music that isn't downloaded from it's iTunes store?

It depends on how you have iTunes configured. You can check under preferences on the advanced tab. They are stored locally though.

For iTunes and remote access, any purchases you make from the iTunes store are available to you on any machine you authorize once you log in to your iTunes account. For other music, you would need an iTunes match account. At which point all of your music would be available (With some exceptions.)

I had some problems earlier on with iTunes match, but it's running fine now.

budmonster

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
It depends on how you have iTunes configured. You can check under preferences on the advanced tab. They are stored locally though.

For iTunes and remote access, any purchases you make from the iTunes store are available to you on any machine you authorize once you log in to your iTunes account. For other music, you would need an iTunes match account. At which point all of your music would be available (With some exceptions.)

I had some problems earlier on with iTunes match, but it's running fine now.

Let me know if I'm understanding this correctly. If I where to purchase an album from iTunes, that album would be available to download whenever, no matter the location as long as my Apple Id is being used? When I put my own music into iTunes last night, it was transferred into the "C:\Users\*******\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\Music" folder. It basically just copied the album a second time.

So putting your own album on iTunes from your PC(drag and drop) or downloading an album from iTunes will use your hard drive for storage either way. The only difference is that when you purchase an album from iTunes, it is stored for you in case you need to download it again like an app or game. Am I getting it?

Blue Shift

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
Let me know if I'm understanding this correctly. If I where to purchase an album from iTunes, that album would be available to download whenever, no matter the location as long as my Apple Id is being used? When I put my own music into iTunes last night, it was transferred into the "C:\Users\*******\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\Music" folder. It basically just copied the album a second time.

So putting your own album on iTunes from your PC(drag and drop) or downloading an album from iTunes will use your hard drive for storage either way. The only difference is that when you purchase an album from iTunes, it is stored for you in case you need to download it again like an app or game. Am I getting it?

Exactly, though there are some exceptions.

You don't need to download purchases per se, at least in iTunes. They can be played from the cloud. However purchases are downloaded on the system you made the purchase from.

You also don't need to download with Home Sharing - you could play your entire library on you iDevice, over Wifi without having a local copy or syncing. This is only handy on the same network though.

With iTunes Match, you don't need local copies at all.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW