IPad Air safari crash

shief24

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
Hey everyone,

I got the Air on launch day and so far I am happy with it. But almost every time I use safari, the browser crashes and loses the page I was previously on. I took it to the store and they exchanged it for another unit but it still persists. I'm going to just use chrome browser for now but this never happened on the mini or ipad 4 that I had. So am I alone here ? Did this happen to your air ? Really annoying but otherwise I love this and it's been with me everywhere I went.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
When you got your iPad Air, did you restore a backup from a previous iOS device? If so, set it up as new and then see if the browser still crashes.

Bigchris

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
I've experienced some crashes too, not sure if it's the site or not, I'm still testing some settings. Did you restore your Air from a previous iPad?

shief24

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
Yup they were restores from my iPad 4. Maybe that is the culprit. I'll Do a restore tonight. Is it a bug? Or just the browser having issues ?

Bigchris

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
Yup they were restores from my iPad 4. Maybe that is the culprit. I'll Do a restore tonight. Is it a bug? Or just the browser having issues ?

I don't know if it's a bug or not per say, something could have just gotten corrupted.

Sorry, didn't realize I was late in posting above..

BenitoC

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
I too get the occasional crash on Safari. I am assuming that Apple will fix this with the iOS 7.1 update when it is eventually released. The crashes are rare.

shief24

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
Yup I googled the issue and saw people having issues with iTunes crashing the same. I can confirm it is happening in chrome browser as well

Xterror

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
My wife has been on iPad 1 since launch and the last update it got, prob a year or more ago, is when she started getting a lot of Safari crashes everyday. Always when she goes to oldnavy.com site. I got get a iPad Air and it just showed up to the house. She was very excited, she did a restore and just texted me that the first site she went to was oldnavy.com to test it and safari crashed. I had read that the restore could cause that, read it when I was having issues with her iPad 1 and did a reset to start from scratch. but it didn't fix it. I'll try to restore her new iPad Air tonight and not do a restore and cross my fingers it helps. She keeps thinking it's out wifi, because her mom's iPad does the same thing when she's at our house, but none of my devices do this(MBP, iMac, Android tablet and phone.) If wifi can cause this, what should I be looking for? Thanks iMore community :)

this happens on chrome too on her iPad 1. Don't know if she's tried chrome on her iPad Air

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Safari on my iPad Air and iPad 3 crash like crazy. Especially on sites with comments (disqus) or anything with intense JavaScript. I.e. NFL BGR and other popular tech sites for example. My iPad Air was setup as NEW no restores from my other gear. I wanted to start fresh. So yes it's iOS7

Chris Parsons

Oct 30, 2007
Visit site
Although this might sound rather simple, have you tried clearing your cookies and cache to see if that fixes the issue? You can find it under Settings, Safari, "Clear History" and "Clear Cookies and Data."

Bigchris

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
Although this might sound rather simple, have you tried clearing your cookies and cache to see if that fixes the issue? You can find it under Settings, Safari, "Clear History" and "Clear Cookies and Data."

I actually did try what you mentioned and It still crashes on me a few times throughout the day.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Could the issue be related to the new 64 bit architecture? Anyways I suspect a fix is in the works. I too have the occasional browser crash on my new Air. :)

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Could the issue be related to the new 64 bit architecture? Anyways I suspect a fix is in the works. I too have the occasional browser crash on my new Air. :)

I agree with this, my iPad 4 crashes iTunes a lit since ios7. I find a hold the home and power button reset seems to clear it for a while then it comes back

Ios7 and new 64 bit tech = a period of instability

shief24

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
I agree with this, my iPad 4 crashes iTunes a lit since ios7. I find a hold the home and power button reset seems to clear it for a while then it comes back

Ios7 and new 64 bit tech = a period of instability

Yeah would be the case but there's a guy up there that said it happened to his iPad 3.

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Yeah would be the case but there's a guy up there that said it happened to his iPad 3.

Agreed

But remember all software is being written now to sit on both 32bit and 64bit, I think until all the software and glitches due to these changes are sorted we will all see varying degrees of crashing.

It's a shame because Apple could start to lose their "It just works" title

Still love their products though

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I moved this thread to the iOS 7 forum for further discussion as that is what the crashing is related to. That said, I too am having an issue with Safari crashing occasionally on my iPhone 5S and iPad Air.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro