Possible to change the default notification sound for 3rd party apps?

worknman

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
I've been doing some searching and it appears that you can't change the notification sound for individual 3rd party apps without a jailbreak. So I just want to change the default one that all 3rd party apps use, and don't see an option for it in Settings. Just wondering if this is possible? I don't like that my iPhone plays the same sound as every other iPhone on the planet. It's funny to be in a room full of iPhone users, hear that tone, and see everybody in the room pulling out their phones :p

Also, how do you guys deal with this limitation? I can understand Apple not wanting to allow things like 3rd party keyboards, but having Google Plus and Google Voice using the same tone really sucks :(

djstarion

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
Why not make your own short under 40 sec. tones that only you can have for yourself that you can make in iTunes.

iTunes 11: How To Create Free Ringtone and Text Tone | The iPhone and iPad Blog
I think what's he's asking is that if a 3rd party app doesn't have its own notification tone (like Words With Friends, Google Hangouts, Tweetbot, etc) do, then it uses the default Tri-Tone. He's asking if there's a way to change it, which there isn't. Unless, like kch said, the developer added in their own notification or the code for you to change it in the app.

worknman

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
I think what's he's asking is that if a 3rd party app doesn't have its own notification tone (like Words With Friends, Google Hangouts, Tweetbot, etc) do, then it uses the default Tri-Tone.

Tri-Tone... is that what it's called ? I didn't know it had a name :) I already knew it wasn't possible to change the notification sounds in these apps. I was actually asking if it's possible to change the Tri-Tone sound itself. If all apps are going to use the same sound, I'd rather my iPhone be different than everybody else's. Not to express my individuality, but just to eliminate confusion :p

aptessmann

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
Did you ever get an acceptable response to this?

I'm trying to do the same thing because the Tri-Tone sound terrifies my dog and she will go hide under my bed or piddle on the carpet, unless I leave the sound off for the whole phone. Is there really no way for me to choose 1 sound for all notifications that isn't quite so obnoxious?

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73