Assigned text/ring-tones not working

idontlikeonions

Jul 29, 2008
Visit site
I have a new 5s, I purchased some ringtones and texttones from itunes and assigned them to different contacts and my default tones are still coming through. Is there any fix for this? Frustrating!!!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Go back through your contacts and verify the "Ringtones" are indeed listed. If they are, reboot your device and then have one of the people give you a test call to make sure the ringtone you set for that particular person is what is being played when that person calls.

idontlikeonions

Jul 29, 2008
Visit site
Go back through your contacts and verify the "Ringtones" are indeed listed. If they are, reboot your device and then have one of the people give you a test call to make sure the ringtone you set for that particular person is what is being played when that person calls.

I've already done all that without any luck.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Anyone else have any further input?

Other than doing a restore or reset all settings, I don't know what else to tell you. I have purchased ringtones that are assigned to specific contacts, and those ringtones do sound when those specific contacts call me. I don't have an iPhone 5S, but I do have an iPhone 5 running iOS 7.0.2.

Grabber5.0

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Was this all done on the same phone?

I've never purchased a ringtone, so I don't know that my solution is relevant, but it might be related, and could help someone else.

I had created some ringtones on my computer, added them to my iTunes library, and synced them to my phone. I selected one of them as either a contact ringtone or the default ringtone, I forget which. All was fine at this point. A few days later I reorganized my iTunes library a bit (moved some folders, including the one this ringtone was in). I then had to re-add the new location to my iTunes library and re-sync. Since the tone was in the new folder and synced to my phone, everything appeared correct, but the ringtone wouldn't play when the phone rang. I could preview it in the ringtone settings, but it would not play when the phone rang (I believe no ringtone played at all if I recall correctly). I fixed it by un-assigning the ringtone in the phone, saved the settings, then re-selected it. What I believe happened was that since I had removed the ringtone from my library and re-added it, it had a new internal identifier, so the phone couldn't find it. Re-selecting it changed the identifier to the correct one and fixed the problem.

Smck1320

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
I had a couple of contacts listed in my phone more than once so I made sure I changed the ringtone on all of them or deleted the extra ones. As soon as you have done that the assigned ringtone should take over the default ringtone.