links inside email no longer work since ios 7 update installed

I

iMore Question

what's going on ? the links show up.. you can see the 'click' happen only once
but it doesn't go to safari like it use to.. it just stays in email
and then re-trying it does nothing at all.

What the heck did Apple do to mess that up?

There are so many emails from business related subscriptions that
one can go to see an update or a display easily by clicking the link
in the email but now it doesn't work at all...

Don't know why I don't see more people with this problem and an apple explanation.

There should be no requirement to reset every setting.. that would be terrible
but even more so I can't even find a setting that would stop this problem.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

Apple didn't do anything. When I tap on a link in my Mail app, I am immediately taken to the site via the Safari browser on my device.

Like I stated above, it works for me so you can try one of the following:

1. Turn off your device, wait 30 seconds and then turn it back on and then see if you're taken to your browser after tapping on the link(s)
2. backup your device via iCloud and/or iTunes and then connect it to iTunes, if you haven't already, and then select to restore it.

Don't know why I don't see more people with this problem and an apple explanation.
Others may not be having that problem.

There is no "requirement" to reset everything, but it is an available option that would more than likely fix your problem. Still, the choice is entirely up to you. You can either deal with the issue you are having or take the time to restore your device so that you won't have those problems. Still, try the reboot first. Hopefully, that will fix it for you.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
It's a long shot but do you have the "open links in the background" option under Safari in Settings? Have you actually opened Safari to see if your links have actually opened but Safari just didn't respond? Perhaps when you tap the links they are opening in Safari but because of the setting I mentioned Safari is not opening. I didn't think it worked that way but just a thought.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site

Apple didn't do anything. When I tap on a link in my Mail app, I am immediately taken to the site via the Safari browser on my device.

Like I stated above, it works for me so you can try one of the following:

1. Turn off your device, wait 30 seconds and then turn it back on and then see if you're taken to your browser after tapping on the link(s)
2. backup your device via iCloud and/or iTunes and then connect it to iTunes, if you haven't already, and then select to restore it.

Others may not be having that problem.

There is no "requirement" to reset everything, but it is an available option that would more than likely fix your problem. Still, the choice is entirely up to you. You can either deal with the issue you are having or take the time to restore your device so that you won't have those problems. Still, try the reboot first. Hopefully, that will fix it for you.
To the OP I am not by any means jumping on any bandwagon but my links are working perfectly fine and have yet to have issuew, When i click on a live link which is the key - Live , It takes me right to where it was meant to take me in Safari. Make sure these are indeed live links that whoever is sending them to you is sending you a 'Clickable' link. Good luck and thank you for thinking about coming to iMore for help.

I hope you decide to join and become a member.

Paula Burke

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
I have this same problem but the real problem is that Safari disappeared with the upgrade. Gone. Can't find it anywhere even by searching. Using Chrome now but it won't open when email links are clicked... So I ask... Do you still have safari on your phone? No clue how to get it back as it is not a downloadable app.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Having same issue and not help seen posted anywhere. Ios7 really screwed up the email links. Where is the outrage?

I highly doubt there will be outrage being that only a handful of people, in my opinion, are having this problem.

Eugene McDonald

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
My iPhone 5 with ios 7.03 is same. Can't click on link from email to go to the address.

Using standard email for ios7 and Safari ios7.
Not jail broken.
Reset but still does not work.

Help anyone, besides "mine is working :)

weathergeekee

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
You're not crazy, I had the same issue. Shutting the phone completely off and back on fixed the problem in my case. Press and hold the power button on the top of the iPhone for 5 seconds and then on the screen, slide the 'Slide to Power Off' indicator to off. Once the phone powers down and is off, press and hold the power button again until the iPhone comes back on and then release. The phone will then boot up and come back on. Then try your links from an email message. Hope this helps, a lot of people never turn off their iPhone and don't realize they are just in standby when the screen goes dark. Press and HOLD the power button to turn the power off just like on the old phones. Hope this works for you.

soder606

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
I am having a similar problem. The links that i try to insert in my emails to others no longer work. This is critical as I have a big event coming up and am unable to get the link to the invitations working.

Big_Jobe

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
You're not crazy, I had the same issue. Shutting the phone completely off and back on fixed the problem in my case. Press and hold the power button on the top of the iPhone for 5 seconds and then on the screen, slide the 'Slide to Power Off' indicator to off. Once the phone powers down and is off, press and hold the power button again until the iPhone comes back on and then release. The phone will then boot up and come back on. Then try your links from an email message. Hope this helps, a lot of people never turn off their iPhone and don't realize they are just in standby when the screen goes dark. Press and HOLD the power button to turn the power off just like on the old phones. Hope this works for you.

I was having the same issue with links in mail and the old turn it off and on again worked for me.

Sally Kirkpatrick

Apr 24, 2015
Visit site
If you are still having problems, I had the same issue all you need to do is add the link to your reading list by holding on the link until the option comes up then go to the safari browser and into the reading list (next to browser history) and it should be there.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh