AT&T Unlock Personal Hotspot without jailbreak

Status
Not open for further replies.

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Does anybody have any idea how hard it is for me to keep my very loud mouth shut on this topic?

Why is tethering from your phone any different than splicing your cable inside your own house?

Also, the AT&T discussion is a moot point as it has been clearly demonstrated AT&T will financially penalize or throttle users using unauthorized tethering

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
This site does not condone any discussion of app stealing, the same should apply to carrier stealing, which the op clearly states. If the premise of the ops post was apps in the App Store, there would be locked threads and bans handed out. What makes this so different?

I've explained, in detail, what makes this different. If you'd like further explanation, I've given you a route to get it. My message box is still empty. Bringing this to another thread won't make things any less annoying to the public.

i7guy

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
If you want to continue this, create another thread in off topic forum, as some of us understand others don't.

wbkm85

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
hey lets fight online like we are 12!

anyone gotten this to work? this has gone way off topic for no reason at all.

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
hey lets fight online like we are 12!

anyone gotten this to work? this has gone way off topic for no reason at all.

no tethering from att without paying for it unless you jailbreak
even if you jailbreak att will catch you and charge / change your plan

make sense?

Hugoneus

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
Yes, that's what I have to add... I'm one of those odd people that believes one should pay for services rendered and not seek means of circumventing carrier restrictions in order to steal service... I'm a freak... This is exactly why there's no consensus on the issue... on one hand there's the want everything free crowd...and there's my point of view. You've made your point... I've made mine. Have a nice day.

People like you are the reason why companies like ATT can get away with charging us twice for the same service.

sinfool

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
no tethering from att without paying for it unless you jailbreak
even if you jailbreak att will catch you and charge / change your plan

make sense?

See post 27 above.

Sorry, this is incorrect.

I've had the AT&T unlimited data plan since its inception ...back when the iPhone 3G was released and unlimited data was actually "unlimited" like they promised. At that time, they didn't even offer a tethering plan. Subsequetly, I discovered jailbreaking & MyWi. I've been tethering ever since & have never been warned for tethering. Granted, usually I only tether to my iPad but a few times I've checked my email from my laptop.

The only warnings I ever received from AT&T was when they originally started their throttling BS ...I received a text about approaching the 3GB threshold & was throttled the last 3 days of that month. That only happened once and was unrelated to tethering.

So, while I obviously disagree that tethering is "stealing"...I also disagree that AT&T will necessarily "catch & charge" you. From my experience & what I've read... being caught depends on how much data you're consuming & what devices you're tethering to.

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site

I've had the AT&T unlimited data plan since its inception ...back when the iPhone 3G was released and unlimited data was actually "unlimited" like they promised. At that time, they didn't even offer a tethering plan. Subsequetly, I discovered jailbreaking & MyWi. I've been tethering ever since & have never been warned for tethering. Granted, usually I only tether to my iPad but a few times I've checked my email from my laptop.

The only warnings I ever received from AT&T was when they originally started their throttling BS ...I received a text about approaching the 3GB threshold & was throttled the last 3 days of that month. That only happened once and was unrelated to tethering.

So, while I obviously disagree that tethering is "stealing"...I also disagree that AT&T will necessarily "catch & charge" you. From my experience & what I've read... being caught depends on how much data you're consuming & what devices you're tethering to.

Says the dude who hasn't been caught? yet.
You will be caught, and you will lose your data plan

johnboysupergolf

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
My personal hotspot switch was greyed out until ios7 came around, then it appeared as if by magic. I use it because like a lot of other folk I pay for it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

sinfool

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
Says the dude who hasn't been caught… yet.
You will be caught, and you will lose your data plan

Says the dude who is ignorant to the facts... still.

Dude, It's been 6 years! What, do you think I'm new to this? ...pfff

Stop preaching non-sense.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
You can't escape the fact that when you sign up for cellular service from a provider you sign a contract that contains certain terms and conditions... enabling a wifi hotspot on devices that don't include that service as a part of their plan, or an added feature to their plan is contrary to the contract and terms & conditions.

sinfool

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
You can't escape the fact that when you sign up for cellular service from a provider you sign a contract that contains certain terms and conditions... enabling a wifi hotspot on devices that don't include that service as a part of their plan, or an added feature to their plan is contrary to the contract and terms & conditions.

Sure, but as I said, when Unlimited Data customers first signed up, the iPhone was exclusive to AT&T. Tethering wasn't an option & we were all told that the unlimited data would truly be unlimited "without" any restrictions (which it was). This policy was fine & dandy as it persuaded millions of its customers to upgrade/update their contracts... we were all told yes, you'll keep the exact "same" unlimited data when you update when in reality this was obviously a rouse and not the case.

The fact is, AT&T (& Apple for that matter) realized that as mobile technology started trending & customers started consuming much more data, subsequently their networks began taking a hit. A poor public perception of AT&T service would also project negatively on Apple as a whole. Their solutions, reduce your usage by limiting some apps from functioning on 3G and eventually by throttling. Do you not remember the outrage amongst unlimited data users when AT&T first started implementing the throttling?

Of course you can argue, well you agreed to the fine print but I will also argue that AT&T's practice of pushing customers to agree to new 2 year contracts by "reassuring" it's customers that their plans will be exactly the same is BS. AT&T & Apple's original exclusivity deal helped them both prosper immensely. Back then, if you wanted an iPhone, it was AT&T or nothing.

BTW, I'm not saying my opinion regarding tethering is "currently" justifiable but neither was AT&T's bait and switch contract upgrades. Everything isn't so cut & dry. I was just stating that the comment made earlier is NOT necessarily true... "AT&T will catch & change your plan".

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site

Thing is, you're not seeing the real cost of this. You may be getting it "Free" but there are people out there who have to inevitably pay more.

I used to mod my androids and get free tethering until I realized I'm basically just costing others more.

Like stealing a pack of gum, it isn't all that big right? However when gum starts costing $5 instead of $1 because everyone is stealing it...

?Sent from the colored one using Tapatalk?

sinfool

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
Thing is, you're not seeing the real cost of this. You may be getting it "Free" but there are people out there who have to inevitably pay more.

I used to mod my androids and get free tethering until I realized I'm basically just costing others more.

Like stealing a pack of gum, it isn't all that big right? However when gum starts costing $5 instead of $1 because everyone is stealing it...

•Sent from the colored one using Tapatalk•
If you read my last post, a tethering plan didn't even exist when I first agreed to my unlimited plan so how could I steal it?

...but granted, using your logic, that's exactly what AT&T did when they first imposed throttling. They themselves were "stealing"/ acting as their own in house Robin Hood, i.e. "stealing" data speeds from/at the expense of unlimited data users just to compensate for the increased traffic of NEW standard data plan users. Is this fair? Not IMO.

I'm not defending my opinion in terms of what's relevant with current contracts but....in general, I still feel that data use is data use no matter how you spin it. ...And ultimately, most carriers agree which is why they're now including tethering with most of these package plans. My whole point is throttling was "ONLY" implemented when they realized they couldn't sustain all the data traffic.

Last edited:

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm not against tethering and using "your data" (the data you pay for) however you want to.
I'm just saying, AT&T will catch you.

I tether, quite frequently since I got my 5s and my kids got iPods for Xmas. Now I turn on MyWi whenever we go on a long ride or kids are having a hard time shopping.
But, my post is true, and has been documented by many.
AT&T catches people who tether without authorization, and they punish them for it

sinfool

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
I'm not against tethering and using "your data" (the data you pay for) however you want to.
I'm just saying, AT&T will catch you.

I tether, quite frequently since I got my 5s and my kids got iPods for Xmas. Now I turn on MyWi whenever we go on a long ride or kids are having a hard time shopping.
But, my post is true, and has been documented by many.
AT&T catches people who tether without authorization, and they punish them for it
No, I hear you. I pay for (so called) unlimited data ...But yeah, as far as tethering goes, that's why I'm telling you it isn't necessarily true that they'll catch you. It depends on which devices & how much data you use. Standard iOS devices should be fine (i.e. iPods, iPads etc.). People who get caught are using high amounts of data & they're tethering to PC etc.

I'm not lying when I said I've been tethering for 6 years. I tether to my iPad from my iP5 nearly everyday. Believe me, just because I don't frequent this forum often, I'm still a well seasoned idevice user.

Status
Not open for further replies.