Wallpaper Zoom Fix App?

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Would anyone be interested in an app that allows you to choose or take a picture and it places it inside a prebuilt larger image so when it is set as wallpaper in iOS 7 it is effectively not zoomed in?

Would it be reasonable to charge .99 for the app? I'm indie and have to feed the kiddos. :) But if the cost blocked out too many people that would otherwise use it I would rather go free.

I just spent a few minutes prototyping it and I believe I could make it. Just judging interest before completing.

Cheers.
@Scatabrain

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Would anyone be interested in an app that allows you to choose or take a picture and it places it inside a prebuilt larger image so when it is set as wallpaper in iOS 7 it is effectively not zoomed in?

Would it be reasonable to charge .99 for the app? I'm indie and have to feed the kiddos. :) But if the cost blocked out too many people that would otherwise use it I would rather go free.

I just spent a few minutes prototyping it and I believe I could make it. Just judging interest before completing.

Cheers.
@Scatabrain

I would consider dropping a buck on it.

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
I did it!

9/26/2013 - Initial Test Build for Test Flight.

What the app does: The app puts your selected image into a larger background with the color of your choosing. Then when you select this image for your wallpaper, you can more easily scale it to fit the screen. Apple's looks at your images orientation and aspect ratio and forces you to go from top to bottom of the phone without the ability to scale your image to our liking. Since the image is contained in a much larger image, it fools Apple into letting you scale it to the size you actually want. The side benefit is that the color you choose for the background of the larger container image becomes what you see in all of the phone decoration - folder background color, lock screen code circle outlines, dock background and other decorations. With a little trial and error you can handle portrait and landscape images and color for different effects and styling.

Features:
- Take control of scaling and styling wallpaper and lock screen images in iOS7! How: Creates a version of an image in your camera roll or from your camera that allows for better adjustment when setting it as wallpaper.
- Allows you to customize the color under your dock icons, the lock screen decoration and your folder backgrounds! How: Select the color and the under your dock, your folder backgrounds and lock screen decorations take on that color.
- You decide how zoomed in or out you want your pictures.
- Choose a solid color to customize your phone in artistic style! Use the color picker and no photo. Set on the home screen and / or lock screen and viola! You've created your own style.
- Center your image on the desktop again!
- Zoom in and Out
- Rotate

Any suggestions for a name? I was thinking Wallpaper Fix.
Boring but direct enough for people searching for it.

Anyone technically inclined enough to want to test?
I would need your device UDID to make a test build.

To do - First Release:
- IMPLEMENT: Built in Image Sharing so you can go right to Set As Wallpaper from the app

Future To Do:
- ADD: Cropping tools
- ADD: Ability to Layer multiple images
- ADD: Sizing Modes: Center (there now), Crop (if also allowed zoom), Stretch

Would you use?
- Image Tints: Black and White, Sepia etc.
- Blur, Sharpen Filters
- Gradient Backgrounds

Cheers!
@Scatabrain

Last edited:

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Got it thanks! Will put into Test Flight and have link for you by Friday morning. I look forward to your thoughts on it. Thanks!

StaticFX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
just an fyi, after MANY tries, i have determined that (at least for the 4s) the proper parallax wallpaper size is 880x1200. So if you create the 880x1200 colored image and drop the photo right in the middle. It should be a perfect fit.

See Here

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
just an fyi, after MANY tries, i have determined that (at least for the 4s) the proper parallax wallpaper size is 880x1200. So if you create the 880x1200 colored image and drop the photo right in the middle. It should be a perfect fit.

See Here

Great tip. That's essentially what the app does for you plus allows you to choose background color.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for asking.
Very close to done. Testing it and making icons. Apple approval also take a couple of weeks.
If all goes well will be submitting by Monday.

Started just 2 days ago. I think the turnaround is pretty quick if I don't say so myself.
Hopefully everyone finds it as useful as I am.
It's a simple app but it does something that I really want - allow me to easily scale my wallpaper!
I have done that and a little more.
I am very excited for people to try it out.
Probably going to be free for the first few days at least.
So stay tuned!

Cheers,
@Scatabrain

dalby_qld

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
Good onya for working on the App. Wish i knew how to do one. I found a temporary fix for now which I would like to share. I simply dragged my photo in a Apple's Keynote document. I chose black background. I resized my photo so it was relatively small on Keynote and in the middle of the Keynote slide. Then simply went to File _Export _Image and then sent the exported image file to iPhone. Inserted it as wall paper and perfect. Took less than 90 seconds to do.

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
That is also a quick solution. The nice thing about Keynote is you can add multiple images and move them around. I am guessing that this seems more complicated to do to a lot of users then it actually is. My version of Keynote doesn't seem to have an export to camera roll. You can always take a screen shot easy enough if you know how. Another tip if you're doing it this way is you want to rotate your picture 90 degrees so you can get the picture parallel with the longer axis and then rotate the image in your camera roll. The problem with the built in set wallpaper (the whole problem) is that is constrains you to use the full height of any picture as the maximum (you can't scale images smaller then the initial height) - in other words you can zoom in but not out.

If you use the landscape canvas of Keynote you either have to zoom your picture way down (losing image quality) or do the rotate picture, rotate back image thing to get the full scale.

Another great tip! Thanks!

Aside: The reason I think Apple made this zoom out constraint is probably so the phone will always have a background picture that extends the full height of the phone. So hitting the home button twice always shows the wallpaper at full height nicely underneath the running apps. That should be my decision not theirs. But that's how it goes. Microsoft tells me how I want to do something and Apple tells me how I want something to look and how I want it to work.

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Here is the current state of the App:

9-29-2013 - I am testing will soon submit to Apple.
I plan to make it free at first (1-2 weeks most likely) as a thank you to the iMore community for this forum.
Stay tuned.

----------------

Build Notes:

What the app does: The app puts your selected image into a larger background with the color of your choosing. Then when you select this image for your wallpaper, you can more easily scale it to fit the screen. Apple's looks at your images orientation and aspect ratio and forces you to go from top to bottom of the phone without the ability to scale your image to our liking. Since the image is contained in a much larger image, it fools Apple into letting you scale it to the size you actually want. The side benefit is that the color you choose for the background of the larger container image becomes what you see in all of the phone decoration - folder background color, lock screen code circle outlines, dock background and other decorations. With a little trial and error you can handle portrait and landscape images and color for different effects and styling.

Features:
- Take control of scaling and styling wallpaper and lock screen images in iOS7! How: Creates a version of an image in your camera roll or from your camera that allows for better adjustment when setting it as wallpaper.
- Allows you to customize the color under your dock icons, the lock screen decoration and your folder backgrounds! How: Select the color and the under your dock, your folder backgrounds and lock screen decorations take on that color.
- You decide how zoomed in or out you want your pictures.
- Choose a solid color to customize your phone in artistic style! Use the color picker and no photo. Set on the home screen and / or lock screen and viola! You've created your own style.
- Center your image on the desktop again!
- Zoom in and Out
- Rotate

Requires: iOS 7. Currently iPhone only.
Currently tested on: iPhone 4, 5 and 5s.

Any suggestions for a name? I was thinking Wallpaper Fix.
Boring but direct enough for people searching for it.

Anyone technically inclined enough to want to test?
I would need your device UDID to make a test build.

To do - Future Release:
- ADD: Multiple Images
- ADD: Built in Image Sharing so you can go right to Set As Wallpaper from the app
- ADD: Cropping tools

Would you use?
- Image Tints: Black and White, Sepia etc.
- Blur, Sharpen Filters
- Gradient Backgrounds

Cheers!
@Scatabrain

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Sounds like your making a really useful app for us who like more customization. Looking forward to it.

It is a lot of fun to make. This is my first iOS app. It reminds me of GDI coding back on Windows 3 - in a really good way! I have to say it's actually super simple once you get the hang of the weird method syntax and learn how and when to read the sdk. I spend most of my weekend programming games but have squeezed in a little for this app.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73