solved the battery drain issue

yaynative

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Most of us were complaining about battery drain after updating to iOS 7. After a ton of trial and error the past few days I have solved, at least for me, the issue. The stock weather app continues to use your location in the background regardless if you have it enabled for background or not. It will also cause location services to be used when you open notification center even if you disable everything disabled in Today View in notification center. I disabled location services for the stock weather app and literally my battery drained a lot slower.

You can test it out by opening your notification center. You will see location services being used if you have location enabled for the weather app. Disable it and then try again. No location icon when you open notification center.

I'm using the yahoo weather app for now, but I will also submit it ti apple. Hopefully it gets fixed soon.

anon(4767237)

Aug 19, 2012
Visit site
I don't think it's a solution. The point is to use your phone how you like it and if i have to disable most things to get a better battery life then what's the point of having a smartphone? And please don't get me wrong, thanks for the tip!

+ i don't see location icon when i'm in today view.

bybyqaqa.jpg

ana9e4y8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 4s, iOS 7.0

elvisx77

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the tip. Suffering a lot from the bat drain issue after iOS 7 update. Also noticed what you say when opening the notification centre. I live in a tropical country so the constant update of weather really doesn't matter. But I don't think the people live in places like Melbourne will like your idea.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using iMore Forums mobile app

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I don't think it's a solution. The point is to use your phone how you like it and if i have to disable most things to get a better battery life then what's the point of having a smartphone? And please don't get me wrong, thanks for the tip!

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/22/bybyqaqa.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/22/ana9e4y8.jpg

If weather has updated recently it won't be there. I opened my notification center and the location symbol came on and after it left I opened notification center a few more times and it didn't show up again.

Blazin' Tap Tap Tappity To You

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/22/bybyqaqa.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/22/ana9e4y8.jpg

took the words right out of my mouth

I have my weather setup to use my location every time i pull down my NC and my battery usage is consistently 6-8 hours usage with 18-24 hours standby. which is good enough for me. my theory is if i can go all day and into the night without charging i'm good. i'm not one of those battery freaks that NEEDS my battery to last 2 days without charging. i want to use my device the way it was intended

yaynative

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
I myself am not a battery freak. My phone consistently go me through the day with no worries until ios 7. I wasn't getting to 3pm until turning off location services for weather.

I agree with using the phone how you want, however, when an app constantly uses location services in the background even though you turned off background for it, it's a bug.

You'll also notice that if you turn location services for everything except weather, the icon will pop up a lot while using the phone.

yaynative

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Last thought, if you disable today summary in notification center you'll still see the icon come on. Today summary is where weather is located. It should use location services if the view is not enabled.

That's bug.

fridayxiii

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
I can't say I solved "the" battery drain issue but I've been able to improve mine.

I thought battery life for my i5 was markedly worse after installing iOS7, even after a full drain + recharge - I was easily killing it in a day. I charged it again but turned off the background app refresh, now the battery seems to be lasting as it did with iOS6. I also turn off Bluetooth, push email, the other standard practices for maximizing the batt.

Personally, I don't need apps refreshing/updating in the background. Open then update is fine by me. YMMV.

Hope this helps!

mlsmith

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for your post. This took care of the same problem I had with my iPhone 4. It's back to normal after three very frustrating days.

necigrad

Dec 5, 2009
Visit site
Was looking for something else and stumbled onto this, and I think I have a solution, but Apple would need to input it. Maybe iOS should (if turned on) update your location at an interval the user specifies. It can then tell all the other apps where you are. Certain apps (like navigation) that need constant access would pnly have that when they're actually using it. I don't know how that could be implemented, but I'm sure Apple could figure that out.

Perry_Orne

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
I'll let you all know how this works out, but thought I'd mention it as it may help someone.... I've found that AT&T Mobile Locate, even if not running, uses Location Services 100% of the time...at least it did for me. I'll let you know if turning it off helps battery life.

abazigal

May 9, 2013
Visit site
Calibrating the battery seemed to do it for me. My battery meter was really malfunctioning yesterday. It dropped 10% while I was checking my mail, and shut down my phone at 8%.

dictoresno

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
i noticed this way back in the betas. it always seems like the weather is updating in the background regardless if updating in the background is on or off.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73