Reminders don't update from iCloud - iPad

donawalt

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
I have iCloud control panel on a Windows laptop, iCloud, iPhone 5, iPad 3. With iOS 6, I could say delete a reminder on my Windows Laptop, it updates the iCloud, and both iOS devices change their badge number to reflect the deletion.

Now, on my iPad only, the iPad badge does not change, and I have to go into it to then immediately see the today's reminders update to the correct ones. I know it's working elsewhere as I can go in through a browser and see the update on iCloud, and it show correctly in the badge number on my iPhone 5.

I think I have found the problem, but don't know how to fix it. Background app refresh is on. But on my iPhone, there is additionally an entry on the "Background App Refresh" screen for "Reminders", and it is turned on. On my iPad, the Reminders entry does not even show up! I go into Reminders, see it update, and then go back to Settings/General Background App Refresh, and it's still not in the list (thinking maybe it only shows up in the list if it is active or something.). Note, through this whole time when it was not updating, it did show up in my multitasking list brought up with double tap of Home button.

How do I get to the Reminders to background refresh on my iPad? Thanks!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Try the following:

1. Turn off the iPad, wait 30 seconds, and then turn it back on. If that doesn't allow for the option to appear or refreshes automatically, go to step 2.

2. Log out of Deleted the iCloud account from your iPad, and then reconfigure it.

EJK1162

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
I'm also having problems with Reminders since downloading the new ios 7. It has my calendar dates within Reminders all messed up. For example, I have an appointment scheduled for tomorrow that shows up today. Multiple entries are shown on the wrong dates. I have tried powering down, syncing with the cloud on the computer (which is correct, by the way), and everything else everyone has suggested who's frustrated with the new "upgrade". I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thank you.

donawalt

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks so much for your help, #1 did it - the badge updates right away again. But why does it still not show up in the list of apps on the Background App Refresh screen, even though it does on the iPhone?

donawalt

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Actually, I stand corrected. This morning I cam to my laptop, updated one Reminder and changed the date tom tomorrow. Neither phone nor ipad reflect the change, even after going into the Reminders app. I verified that the update was on iCloud by going into a browser and checking icloud.com - it was.

iCloud reminder syncing is a lot worse than it used to be, I hope they can fix this. Maybe it's a server side issue. I tried JustMe's second choice a little modified, I turned off iCloud reminder syncing, let it delete all my reminders, verified they were gone, and then turned them back on and let it sync. I'll see in the next day if that makes a difference, if not I'll try the "delete iCloud account" suggested and see if that makes a difference.

donawalt

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
OK, I have played with this the lst two days, and it really does not work correctly with iOS 7. The problem seems to be mostly, in the morning getting started.

I tried deleting my iCloud account on my iPad and restoring it, that did not help either.

Today is a good example - I go to my Windows laptop, make a couple of updates to my Reminders. On both iPad and iPhone, no changes seen. I go into a browser and verify the changes were in fact updated to iCloud.com. I try stopping the Reminders app, no updates. I have the phone/iPad sit in the app, no updates. The only way I could get Reminders to sync up is with a power off/on.

I hope this is fixed in an iOS update. I bet it happens with other cloud sync apps as well.

MarkWeber

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
Hello,
greetings from germany. I have absolutely the same issues with icloud and my iOS Devices. New created and changed reminders on Mac will appear correctly on icloud.com but not on my iDevices, till I reboot them. Good to hear, that I?m not alone with this problem and so it will be fixed as soon as possible. The other apps like calender are working and syncing well with icloud.
Greetings,
Mark

impaler

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
All,
I'm having similar problems. icloud.com doesn't update, but my devices do, all on iOS 7.0.2.

Be sure to submit feedback to Apple: Apple - iCloud - Feedback

Also, do the support thing so they become more aware. I've done both and they said a fix should come in 2-3 days.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
OK, I have played with this the lst two days, and it really does not work correctly with iOS 7. The problem seems to be mostly, in the morning getting started.

I tried deleting my iCloud account on my iPad and restoring it, that did not help either.

Today is a good example - I go to my Windows laptop, make a couple of updates to my Reminders. On both iPad and iPhone, no changes seen. I go into a browser and verify the changes were in fact updated to iCloud.com. I try stopping the Reminders app, no updates. I have the phone/iPad sit in the app, no updates. The only way I could get Reminders to sync up is with a power off/on.

I hope this is fixed in an iOS update. I bet it happens with other cloud sync apps as well.

I'm sorry for just now seeing your last few replies. For those of you who are having issues with iOS 7, I wish I knew why, but I don't. My reminders sync on the fly no matter what device I use to create and/or edit them with. In your regard, I wonder if you need to reset your Network settings being that it works well for you whenever you reboot your device. If you updated to iOS 7 OTA, you may want to take some time to do a clean install via iTunes.

donawalt

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Are there side effects to resetting my network settings, ie any settings I have to re-enter or anything? I may try that first.

And for the second suggestion, to be clear are you saying backup, reset, clean install via iTunes, restore, or are you saying install as a new device then change settings etc. manually?

​Thanks!

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Are there side effects to resetting my network settings, ie any settings I have to re-enter or anything? I may try that first.

And for the second suggestion, to be clear are you saying backup, reset, clean install via iTunes, restore, or are you saying install as a new device then change settings etc. manually?

​Thanks!

You will have to re-enter your Wi-Fi passcode to access your Wi-Fi Network, as well as re-pair your Bluetooth devices.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site

​Thanks!

Basically deletes all your wifi settings. any wireless passwords would have to be re entered and won't automatically connect.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
(snipped)

​Thanks!

Yes, but initially set it up as a new device, and then setup iCloud and test the Reminders app to see if it updates & sync like it should. If so, then decide whether to continue setting the device up as new or restore from your most recent backup.

donawalt

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Here is the latest as of this morning.

After resetting the network on my iPad yesterday, this morning I opened iCloud client on my Win7 laptop, deleted a Reminder. I have 11 reminders for the day. Went to my laptop browser, iCloud.com shows 11 reminders. Both iPhone 5S and iPad 3 (both with iOS 7.0.2) show 2 Reminders, which were how many there were at the end of yesterday (10 new reminders came in at midnight today, I deleted 1, making 11).

I opened Reminders on both devices, and within about 5 seconds they updated to 11 reminders. So at least now the iPad works like the iPhone does, that it does update pretty quickly. But it doesn't do it on its own, like iOS 6 did.

Then I go the laptop, and make another change - delete another 7 reminders, making 4. Neither device updates! As soon as I open Reminders on each device though, it updates.

I check Settings/General/Background App Refresh, and oddly (I have noticed this before) Reminders shows up on the iPhone 5S, and is on; Reminders does not show up on the list on the iPad at all - never has. App refresh is also turned on of course.

I can also eliminate the iCloud client on my Win7 laptop, by going into Chrome on the laptop to iCloud.com, adding a Reminder, deleting a reminder - they do not get updated to either device without me going into the device.

I can add a reminder on either device, watch the browser screen update in iCloud.com with a new reminder, but the other device does not update until I go to it.

So it doesn't work very well - you have to go into the app to see an update. I have done a power off and on, and a reset on both devices, quite a few times.

I actually think now it may be an iCloud issue, like impaler notes above, and says Apple might fix this week. It almost seems like the device has to request updates, they are not being sent. It could be a problem on either end of course, I just think it might be iCloud.

donawalt

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
I am just continuing to chronicle what I see in case it helps sort out the problem in some way...today I came to my desk, the iPhone badge showed the correct number of reminders, iPad did not. I Made a change on iCloud, neither changed. I went into Reminders, neither changed. I stopped the app, re-entered, neither changed. I opened a reminder as if to modify on each, then tapped Done, and then they changed. But future iCloud changes were not reflected.

I restarted both devices, and now a change on iCloud updates. Maybe they updated iCloud (badge was correct on one device this morning, reflecting a new day), but the devices needed to be restarted? Maybe this is a temp fix, as before a restart causes it to work for awhile? The saga continues...

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner