Help restoring jailbroken iPod touch 4g?

Evan Childs

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
Long story so get ready...

So quite a while ago I decided that I wanted to jailbreak my ipod touch. It was just recently updated to 5.1.1 at the time. I used absinth to do the deed. It told me to make a backup on my computer and then restore my ipod so that the jailbreak would go faster. Then I could restore the backup on my computer and have all my content and be jailbroken as well. Well stupid me decided that I would just use the icloud backup instead of the computer. So I jailbroke the ipod and then I realized that I had to restore the ipod to get the icloud backup. So instead of restoring it on the computer, I restored it from the ipod. I used the erase all content and settings option. Then I restored from the icloud backup. Well stupid me must have somehow screwed up the jailbreak because when all of my apps and data were back on my iPod from the backup, (Which took a whole week to download all of it) I tried to open cydia. When I tried to open cydia, It just opens a white screen and crashes immediately. So My iPod basically says that it is jailbroken, but it has no functionality of a jailbroken device and all the apps are really buggy and crash all the time. So I tried to restore it. It kept giving me errors and I got frustrated at the time. I threw it in a drawer and forgot about it until today. I dragged it back out today to try again. This time I used TinyUmbrella for the shsh server but I never saved my SHSH Blobs for iOs 5.1.1. When I try to restore now it just gives me the error (11) and puts my device into recovery mode.

So my question is this: If I just want to restore and update to the latest version of ios 6, do I need my SHSH blobs for ios 5.1.1? If so am I completely screwed? If not could anyone give me some advice on what I need to do to fix this stupid thing? Would it be possible just to update and keep all my data? Would that brick my ipod or would it get rid of the jailbreak and fix my problem?

Any help is very much appreciated.

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
What version of iOS is installed on your iPod right now?

Sent from my iPod touch (5th generation) using Tapatalk - now Free

Evan Childs

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
5.1.1 as I said at the top. I have not tried to update it through itunes or OTA because Im afraid it might brick the device. I don't care if I lose data on the ipod, I just want it unjailbroken and back to stock ios 6.1.3. Any thing you can think of?

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
5.1.1 as I said at the top. I have not tried to update it through itunes or OTA because Im afraid it might brick the device. I don't care if I lose data on the ipod, I just want it unjailbroken and back to stock ios 6.1.3. Any thing you can think of?

Put it into DFU mode.
Plug it into iTunes.
Follow on screen instructions to restore.

SHSH blobs are a way to trick the phone into loading an unsigned firmware version. Whatever you can get in iTunes would be signed and any other SHSH blobs are useless.

But holy hell, were there any steps you could have found a way to mess up and didn't during the original jailbreak?

Evan Childs

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
Put it into DFU mode.
Plug it into iTunes.
Follow on screen instructions to restore.

SHSH blobs are a way to trick the phone into loading an unsigned firmware version. Whatever you can get in iTunes would be signed and any other SHSH blobs are useless.

But holy hell, were there any steps you could have found a way to mess up and didn't during the original jailbreak?

Like I said, this was a long time ago. I'm more of an android guy and thought my rooting experience would get me through jail breaking. IOS is a whole different animal. Thanks I will try the dfu shortly.

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I've never ran a root, but from what I've read as far as tutorials, it seems to be a more complicated process.

It appears you've learned some of the jailbreak no-nos. That Reset all button is always nasty. It's generally best to avoid OTA installs with a device you want to jailbreak. While I believe iCould would have worked, it's also generally quicker to work with the computer as you need it to jailbreak anyway. Why deal with UL/DL speeds when you can just use the USB speed?

I haven't checked to see which devices are eligible for iOS7, but if your device is it'll choose that over the latest iOS6 build. I'm not sure if that's something that would bother you.

Evan Childs

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
natasftw said:
I've never ran a root, but from what I've read as far as tutorials, it seems to be a more complicated process.

It appears you've learned some of the jailbreak no-nos. That Reset all button is always nasty. It's generally best to avoid OTA installs with a device you want to jailbreak. While I believe iCould would have worked, it's also generally quicker to work with the computer as you need it to jailbreak anyway. Why deal with UL/DL speeds when you can just use the USB speed?

I haven't checked to see which devices are eligible for iOS7, but if your device is it'll choose that over the latest iOS6 build. I'm not sure if that's something that would bother you.

The DFU worked perfectly. I don't know why I never tried that Haha. Thank you very much.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro