iOS 7 and updating of apps in the background

bnob99

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Aren't apps supposed to intelligently update in the background in iOS 7? Will each app have to be updated by their developers to support this? I've noticed with a lot of my apps, when I switch back to them after being in another app for a brief time, the app has to reload completely. Just curious if something has changed or if we are just waiting on developers to update their apps to hook into this new feature?

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Aren't apps supposed to intelligently update in the background in iOS 7? Will each app have to be updated by their developers to support this? I've noticed with a lot of my apps, when I switch back to them after being in another app for a brief time, the app has to reload completely. Just curious if something has changed or if we are just waiting on developers to update their apps to hook into this new feature?

The app developers will have to update their apps to take advantage of this option. And within the iOS, it’s configurable. You can turn it off for everything, or turn selective apps off individually.

Grabber5.0

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
I'm confused about this post. When I see 'updating of apps in the background' I think of the app store keeping your apps up to date for you. Is this about the new multitasking system?

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
There are two updates in the background features: 1) the standard app updates you can do in the AppStore app. To turn this on, go to Settings, AppStore, and there will be a toggle for it. App developers don't need tondo anything for this feature. 2) for apps like RSS readers and others that need to ping a server to get more content but the code is not changing, Apple has a new background API which will allow the app to get this new data as some interval. This is what requires the app developer to implement if they want to use it.

Good catch. I discounted the App update from the App Store thing, but you are correct - for that, nothing need be done by anyone but the iPhone user - simply make sure the setting is such that it allows auto updating of the apps installed on their phone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro