Restoring iOS7 Beta> iOS6 > iOS7 Beta again while keeping backed up data?

olivercorb

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
Hi, i'm having major issues with my proximity sensor in iOS7 since beta 3, thought i'd wait a while and see if any following seeds would fix it but no-can-do.

Basically i bought my iPhone 5 3 weeks ago with the full intention of installing the beta and just using it as a test device, and then using it as my full time phone when the official release came out, however the temptation was too great and it has been my daily driver since - meaning that i don't want to restore to iOS6 and keep it there, as data backed up in iOS7 would not be kept on that install, and i am also hesitant to go to iOS6 and then back up to iOS7 in case it still didn't work.

Can anyone please help me out if they've had any experience of restoring like this and keeping their data?

tigerinexile

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Can't you just download the DMG/ipsw for iOS 7 beta 5 and do a full out install of it from scratch, then restore from your iCloud or local backup? (Assuming you're a developer; sounds like you are.)

[Alternatively, downgrade to iOS 6 and see whether your sensor starts working again. If it doesn't, then get your phone replaced.]

olivercorb

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
I could do that, but i have a feeling that a call i made while in iOS6 didn't deactivate the screen... I think i'll go back to 6 and like you said, get it replaced if faulty. I'd still like to know how the iCloud backups work between beta versions like this, if anyone has had experience of this?

tigerinexile

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I can tell you that I successfully restored an iCloud backup for iOS 7 beta 2, after I dropped my previous iPhone 5 in water and got it replaced. (Installed beta 2 cleanly from an ipsw, then restored from iCloud.)

I can't think of a reason why you shouldn't be able to restore your beta 4 iCloud backup on a beta 5 device, if you get your current phone replaced. It's only a total downgrade -- like from iOS 7 to iOS 6 -- when you should have trouble restoring.

Lots of people here do a clean install then restore with each new beta release. Haven't heard of problems from them...

olivercorb

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, that's great. The only issue I could see would be from signing into my iOS6-restored device, which might have messed up the backups, but if you've gone through this I don't see why it won't work.

tigerinexile

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
That said, perhaps you should do an iTunes backup before deleting all (possibly on a computer you don't usually use for that), just to be safe.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox