iOS 7's Calendar App needs some drastic improvements

grujaz10

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I still can't get over the removal of all the "month view" functionality. That was my most used view in iOS 6... you get to see the entire month, you know when you have events, and when you press a particular day, the list view of that day's event shows on the bottom in a great list. I've tried almost every 3rd party calendar app, and I kept going back to the stock app even thought it wasn't the most attractive.

Now, Apple has decided to neuter the "month view" and the "week view" requires you to scroll through the entire day (24 hour day) even if you only have one event that day! WTF. At least provide an option to preview the week view with a list function instead of a full day function. Very disappointing.

Although I like the look of the new calendar app, the usability and functionality are terrible compared to older stock app.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I still can't get over the removal of all the "month view" functionality. That was my most used view in iOS 6... you get to see the entire month, you know when you have events, and when you press a particular day, the list view of that day's event shows on the bottom in a great list. I've tried almost every 3rd party calendar app, and I kept going back to the stock app even thought it wasn't the most attractive.

Now, Apple has decided to neuter the "month view" and the "week view" requires you to scroll through the entire day (24 hour day) even if you only have one event that day! WTF. At least provide an option to preview the week view with a list function instead of a full day function. Very disappointing.

Although I like the look of the new calendar app, the usability and functionality are terrible compared to older stock app.

In iOS 7 b3, when I tap on a date in month view, the calendar switches to day view for that day, and lists all events scheduled for that day. To go back to month view, just tap the name of the month at the top of the screen. Not sure it’s an issue... but then, I rarely use the built-in iOS calendar app... I use Fantastical...

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
Are you saying the events don't display on the month view on your iPad?
If that's the case I would really be disappointed.
TIA

grujaz10

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Are you saying the events don't display on the month view on your iPad?
If that's the case I would really be disappointed.
TIA

No, the iPad calendar's month view seems to work as it should. The iPhone on the other hand has lost functionality in the month view. If you look at the month view in iOS 6, you'll see that when you click on a day, the events for that day appear below the month grid (in the blank space below) so that you can scroll through them very easily. This allows for great multi-tasking and provides a good amount of information. Now with iOS 7... when you click on a day in the month view, it's takes you to the week view. You no longer can simply click through different days in the month view and see all of your events below.

Also, when you do get to week view, the events are listed in a full 24h day view below. Not a simple list view of only when you have appointments. I really don't understand this. I don't need the calendar to show me my free time, I know that if I have an appointment scheduled from 1pm - 2pm and the next appointment is at 5pm, then I have 3 hours of free time. Why do I have to scroll through 3 hours of blank space just to see that I have some free time??? And what makes it worst is that it's a full 24h day. As if I have appointments scheduled at 2am!

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
No, the iPad calendar's month view seems to work as it should. The iPhone on the other hand has lost functionality in the month view. If you look at the month view in iOS 6, you'll see that when you click on a day, the events for that day appear below the month grid (in the blank space below) so that you can scroll through them very easily. This allows for great multi-tasking and provides a good amount of information. Now with iOS 7... when you click on a day in the month view, it's takes you to the week view. You no longer can simply click through different days in the month view and see all of your events below.

Also, when you do get to week view, the events are listed in a full 24h day view below. Not a simple list view of only when you have appointments. I really don't understand this. I don't need the calendar to show me my free time, I know that if I have an appointment scheduled from 1pm - 2pm and the next appointment is at 5pm, then I have 3 hours of free time. Why do I have to scroll through 3 hours of blank space just to see that I have some free time??? And what makes it worst is that it's a full 24h day. As if I have appointments scheduled at 2am!

OK now I understand you concerns grunaz10.
As do you, I like the way the month view currently displays the events in iOS6. Gonna have to get use to the Week view.
And hopefully, the final release will give you the option to not display the free time in the day view.

Last edited:

Junior33178

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
Hello everyone, I've searching and it seems no so much people are affected with this. But I use stock calendar app a lot and have scheduled specific events trough every day and a lot of all day events such as birthdays.

Question is, in iOS 7 all day events don't show up in notification center's "today" view and in "tomorrow" view it says "there's xx events programmed for tomorrow, fist one starts at 9 am" but tomorrow there's an all day event too and it is ignored.

Are you experiencing this? Is there an option or setting am I missing?
I've have same settings used in iOS 6 and of course they worked fine.

Pals I'm aware it's beta, I'm just sharing my experience to find out if it is a known bug or if there's a workaround (there's nothing about this in Beta 3 release notes).

quamdar

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Wow, this would be absolutely horrible if they removed the events area at the bottom of the month view and instead made you change views to see what you had scheduled.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Wow, this would be absolutely horrible if they removed the events area at the bottom of the month view and instead made you change views to see what you had scheduled.

Yes I miss that also it makes it hard to see what you had scheduled

Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !

stilldrey

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
when you press a particular day, the list view of that day's event shows on the bottom in a great list. I

Now, Apple has decided to neuter the "month view" and the "week view" requires you to scroll through the entire day (24 hour day) even if you only have one event that day! WTF.

TOTALLY AGREE!!!
I hope they'll change that soon..

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site

I miss the List View.

Good Luck

I’m really liking Fantastical as a replacement... it has a month view that is similar to the old Apple calendar month view... and the list view, too...

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
one can get a list view of calendar events via simply pulling down the notification center if they set up calendar to be in the notification center...

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
one can get a list view of calendar events via simply pulling down the notification center if they set up calendar to be in the notification center...
Mine shows Tomorrow "There are 2 all-day events scheduled"
But it doesn't list the events & nothing appears for the following days.
Guess I'll have to adjust or get a 3rd party app.
Tks Keith

rdubmu

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
This is sad, probably one of the best features of the calendar. :( Makes me rethink my switching back. At the same time, with the Apple ecosystem, I can probably find a great app to replace it :)

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site

You can also get something close to a list view in the iOS 7 calender simply by clicking on the magnifying glass icon within the calendar app. It’s not perfect, but it’s pretty darn close.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro