Emulating iOS 7

johndhynes

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
I usually get a new iPhone and iOS every year when they first come out, then wait for a jailbreak, but this year I'm too hooked, so I think I'll wait. In the meantime, I can still get some of the features of iOS 7 while still using iOS 6 jailbroken. The first iOS 7 tweaks were in Cydia within a few hours of the announcement, and after a few days there's now a lot to choose from, and more coming all the time. If you saw my iPhone 5 right now, you would think it was running the beta!

I decided to list here the tweaks I am using right now. There are some others which do the same thing, which I don't include. I am naming the authors because some of the tweaks have similar names in Cydia, and they deserve credit, anyway. Mind you that I haven't actually seen iOS 7 in person, so it's hard to judge how faithful some of these tweaks are to the original. And I'm not entirely sure which ones do what, since some overlap each other. Most of these require Winterboard or other tweaks, and some may cost a couple of bucks. Some of them are actually existing ones I was using even before this week.

iOS 7 Theme by pw5a29
This is pretty complete now and getting more so daily, and is already at version 3.3.3. [now 5.x] This might be enough for you. It's already replaced some of the other tweaks I first tried.

[Update: There are actually several iOS 7 themes, some of which are competing in pushing out new updates. You may prefer one or another, are you can even mix and match features of different ones in Winterboard. Here are some others you might try:
iOS 7 User Interface Theme by ViNiT at first concentrated on the app interfaces that pw5a29's theme lacked, but now they're both covering most of the same things.
iOS 7 theme complete by Bichko is coming along, although does not seem as complete as it claims to be. It has a cool animated iOS 7 wallpaper effect built in.
iOS 7 Theme by AR7 hasn't been updated since it's initial release.
There are also a number of themes which are limited to specific features, such as the status bar or lockscreen.]

iOS 7 Font by Fontme
It just doesn't look right without Helvetica Neue Ultra Light. Install with BytaFont. [Update: Now included with iOS 7 Theme.]

LiveClock by Ryan Petrich
An old tweak, that's now part of iOS. Shows the actual current time on the clock icon with moving hands.
[An updated "flat" version is now included with pw5a29's theme.]

FolderEnhancer by Lance Fetters lets you add more icons to folders, pages folders horizontally and allows nesting folders in folders, like iOS 7.

3DBoard by Apocolipse
DeepEnd by Ryan Petrich
Both of these are similar to the new parallax 3D wallpaper effect.

Update:
if you are going to use one of these, you might want to also use CopyDock by vmanot. The themed dock moves around with the wallpaper, so if you have 3D wallpaper, this tweak keeps the dock in place. Then you can leave the iOS 7 dock theme disabled in Winterboard.

LivePapers by Porkhoit Labs
vWallpaper 2 by skrew
I love these! Both of these let you animate your wallpaper. The default LivePapers wallpaper actually looks like the that comes with the iOS 7 beta. But you can't use the animation and 3D parallax effects at the same time, which apparently iOS 7 does.

BlurriedNCBackground by Philippe Lalancette-Caron
Replaces linen with a translucent notification center.

iOS 7 Calculator Theme by Feras Younis Qr
This one is a work in progress. Currently, the buttons are still in the old arrangement, and say things like "x^2" instead of using superscripts like "x[SUP]2[/SUP]", and the display has a white background instead of black.
[Update: pw5a29 and some of the other themes now include this.]

LockBar Settings by bushe
Like NCSettings, but pulls up from the bottom of the lock screen, like the new control center.

Move2Unlock by Kieth Scheiw
Let's you unlock by swiping anywhere on the lock screen.

Bulletin by Ma Jun
Let's you pull down notification center on the lock screen.

CardSwitcher by iKy1e
Similar to the new app switcher.

Auxo by A3Tweaks is another app switcher replacement which also has a settings menu that is modified by iOS Theme. You can use Activator to pull it up from the bottom of the screen, like iOS 7's control center.

Color Keyboard by Yoo Seung Kim
You have to install his for the new keyboard theme to work.

Yahoo! Weather
Currently an app store app, this is apparently going to be the new stock weather app. pw5a29's iOS 7 Theme uses the new icon for this app, so you can go ahead and replace it.

Update:
I forgot to mention Safari UniBar by Fr0zen Sun. This combines the address bar and search bar in Safari, just like iOS 7 and most modern browsers. Nice, although I can't seem to search in page with it, and the extra address bar buttons ([.] [/] [.com]) are missing, although there is now a space bar button.

There is also a tweak called SwipeBack by Ryan Petrich lets you navigate back through menus by swiping. I think that Apple should pay Ryan for sherlocking his tweaks!

ChargingBackgound by MPow fixes the problem of the lockscreen wallpaper disappearing while charging.

Click on the screenshot to see a GIF showing parallax and LiveClock.
iOS 7 Theme.gif
Also note the new icons, including FaceTime, and on status bar, the new signal strength circles and battery charge symbol. The Apple carrier logo is because I'm on Apple's private cell network here in Silicon Valley. JK, it's a Zeppelin logo I added by editing the carrier bundle before the iOS 6 jailbreak was out; you don't need to know my carrier. :)

Last edited:

johndhynes

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
New FaceTime icon

I've noticed that there is a FaceTime icon on iOS 7. I wasn't sure if this was something new, or just an update for iPod and iPad, which already have a FaceTime icon because they don't have a phone icon, but I just watched a video which showed the FaceTime icon on the iPhone. I don't know a jailbreak tweak for editing icons offhand, although there probably are some, and you can do it manually, but I used an app store app called Touch Icon. I found the FaceTime icon using a Google image search and then used Touch Icon. This app makes home screen shortcuts for the phone, SMS, email, Safari and FaceTime, but you have to set it to a specific contact (or URL), so I created a new icon for a friend I frequently use FaceTime with, selected the image I downloaded from the camera roll, set the name to "FaceTime" and added it to my home screen. Now when I tap the FaceTime icon it actually makes a FaceTime call, although only to one person.

I updated the screenshot on the first post with the new icon.

Last edited:

johndhynes

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
Re: New FaceTime icon

I forgot to mention Safari UniBar by Fr0zen Sun. This combines the address bar and search bar in Safari, just like iOS 7 and most modern browsers. Nice, although I can't seem to search in page with it, and the extra address bar buttons ([.] [/] [.com]) are missing, although there is now a space bar button.

There is also a tweak called SwipeBack by Ryan Petrich lets you navigate back through menus by swiping. I think that Apple should pay Ryan for sherlocking his tweaks!

johndhynes

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
In pw5a29's iOS 7 Theme, the wallpaper disappears on the lockscreen during charging. He suggests using ChargingBackground or Springtomize to fix it. I tried ChargingBackgound by MPow and it worked like a charm!

prophecyc2

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
How would I go about changing an App icon to match the style better? I want to use the instagram icon from flaticons theme but can't remember for the life of me how to do so.

EDIT: I just coped the folders from other themes that applied icons into the ios7 folder and was able to update them that way.

Absolutely love this post. :)

Last edited:

johndhynes

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm not an expert. I don't know of anything in Cydia but I haven't looked. I think you can do it with iFile or SCP, but I've never tried. You might also be able to edit the app on your computer and transfer it in iTunes. Maybe you should ask in a new thread.

If you find an easy way to do it, let me know!

rdiddy_25

Sep 20, 2009
Visit site
How would I go about changing an App icon to match the style better? I want to use the instagram icon from flaticons theme but can't remember for the life of me how to do so.

EDIT: I just coped the folders from other themes that applied icons into the ios7 folder and was able to update them that way.

Absolutely love this post. :)

Photoshop

prophecyc2

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I didn't mean how to make my own icons, I just wanted to apply icons from other themes to this one. I was able to figure it out very easily if you see my edit of my post earlier.

Thanks for keeping this post updated.

rdiddy_25

Sep 20, 2009
Visit site
I didn't mean how to make my own icons, I just wanted to apply icons from other themes to this one. I was able to figure it out very easily if you see my edit of my post earlier.

Thanks for keeping this post updated.

Totally missed that part, nicely done

johndhynes

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
Re: Updated GIF

Because I screwed up! I meant to change the update reason field, I guess the change title field was next to it and I typed in the wrong one.

jburke82

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I have been using this theme for the past few days and love it.

I just noticed that with the update today, my mail notification badge seems to have lost the red circle and now is just a white number in the corner! Only on my mail icon, nothing else. No biggie for me, but just pointing it out.

LazyStarGazer

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
Just updated, and I have what is probably a dumb question.

One of the new theme options is iOS 7 auxo.
It doesn't seem to do anything, so I'm wondering if you need auxo installed?

Also an opinion.
I enabled iOS 7 UI.
Now the sliders in Settings are white buttons that you can't see.
For someone who's never used an iOS device before, making a button invisible seems anything but intuitive, because you have to know where to look.

This is not a knock against the theme.
If this is what the UI in iOS 7 is like, it doesn't make sense to me.

johndhynes

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
You don't need to use Auxo, it's just there in case you do.

I think that CardSwitcher is actually more like iOS 7, although I have not purchased it.

The only benefit of Auxo I think is that the settings toggles are accessible by scrolling all the way to the left. With the theme installed, you get the round buttons, although it otherwise is not similar to control center and you can't swipe it up from the bottom.

I think that iOS 7 may have a little more of a drop shadow on the slider button, I don't know. See what it looks like on this page.

johndhynes

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
There is a new theme in Cydia, iOS 7 User Interface Theme by ViNiT. Unlike pw5a29's theme, this one seems to deal mainly with apps' UIs, rather than their icons. These include Weather, Voice Memos (now back in beta 2), Siri, Safari, Noetes, Media Player, the Phone dialpad, Compass and Camera. It doesn't seem to try to change the icons. It makes a great compliment to pw5a29's theme.

Pw5a29 continues to work on his theme. He added a dock background, but unfortunately it does not work with DeepEnd, 3DBackground or LivePapers.

If you have any feedback for him, he's not registered here, but you can get him on Twitter.at @pw5a29.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2