iOS 7 and the Rejection Of The Unfamiliar

Dryland

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
Exactly! There's like 100's of different Android devices so of course it's easy for Android to smash in market share the markets so freaking saturated with low end devices I mean just look at how many freaking variants there are of the Galaxy Suck 4 alone.

It's like comparing apples to the whole produce section at the grocers. Personally, I never felt that it was Apple against android. There are too many variants of android. I say pick a particular android model and then compare sales/market share. If apple licensed iOS to manufacturers it would be fair to compare against all android devices, but this isn't the case. In my scenario, Apple wins hands down.

Dryland

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
Using iOS 6 on my iPad and using iOS 7 on my iPhone shows me instantly the difference. Using iOS 6 has started to feel so weird, old, wrong.

I've had this thought a few times since using iOS 7. I can't wait to get it on my iPad mini. My mini is jail broken but I'm willing to lose that for the simplicity of iOS 7.

Saying its simpler is also a bit of an lie. iOS 7 has introduced many advanced features that probably won't be used by 75% of iPhone users. But for "pro" users it feels right. I truly could care less about the icons, half of them are hidden in folders anyways. For me, the new design makes it feel like a new phone.

I wonder how many complaints regarding the new design are coming from people who have actually used iOS 7. I haven't heard many at all.

bunjy

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
You would be incorrect. I was speaking of cash profit from sales of their devices. Show me the money. Apple may want an iPhone in every pocket, but they continue to be focused on their margins, as well. Market share is good, but you can?t spend it if there?s no (or not much) profit in it.

Android may sell more units world wide (and even domestically), but they are lower end, $99 units (or free with contract)... many of which aren?t on the current level of OS. The fragmentation is a major factor in Android's effort to conquer the world. WIth multiple manufacturers building multiple models, you have so many phones competing for that share of the Android profit.

As they say in the negotiation game, "money talks, BS walks"...

Fausty82 is correct when it comes to profits. I just finished my MBA this year, and interestingly, we did a Harvard business case on Apple in 2012. I even wrote a paper about what I thought Apple should do from a strategic perspective going forward. Anyway, our professor shared some analysis that showed how much more profitable Apple is compared to the rest of the industry. Of course, Samsung is catching up. Apple's margins took a small hit with the iPad mini, but they are still the envy of the industry. Technically, Android has a higher market share of device sales, but profits win out no matter what. This is another reason why Apple has been hesitant this far to release a "cheaper" iPhone. They don't want to weaken their strong margins.

pappy53

Banned
Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Fausty82 is correct when it comes to profits. I just finished my MBA this year, and interestingly, we did a Harvard business case on Apple in 2012. I even wrote a paper about what I thought Apple should do from a strategic perspective going forward. Anyway, our professor shared some analysis that showed how much more profitable Apple is compared to the rest of the industry. Of course, Samsung is catching up. Apple's margins took a small hit with the iPad mini, but they are still the envy of the industry. Technically, Android has a higher market share of device sales, but profits win out no matter what. This is another reason why Apple has been hesitant this far to release a "cheaper" iPhone. They don't want to weaken their strong margins.

No, profits do not win out, no matter what. There is a thing called "fanboy bragging rights". Now, an Android fanboy can say "we sell the most phones by far", while the Apple fanboys say "yeah, but Apple made more profit off of me". I'm just kidding, of course. At this time, since Jelly Bean has been released, the playing field has leveled at least, or probably Android is the better OS now for features. If you want simplicity, then iOS is probably best for you. But, if you want customization, ability to handle attachments, a file manager system, text wrap, and a larger screen with great resolution, then Android is for you. It's just a matter of what works best for each person. The age old argument of lag is pretty much gone with Jelly Bean, and the screens on phones such as S4, DNA, and HTC One are absolutely fantastic. Retina is a fine display, but not close to these. But I am sure that Apple will step it up.

BTW, congrats on the MBA!:)

iSeans

May 30, 2013
Visit site
I've had this thought a few times since using iOS 7. I can't wait to get it on my iPad mini. My mini is jail broken but I'm willing to lose that for the simplicity of iOS 7.

Saying its simpler is also a bit of an lie. iOS 7 has introduced many advanced features that probably won't be used by 75% of iPhone users. But for "pro" users it feels right. I truly could care less about the icons, half of them are hidden in folders anyways. For me, the new design makes it feel like a new phone.

I wonder how many complaints regarding the new design are coming from people who have actually used iOS 7. I haven't heard many at all.

I'm itching to get it on my iPad 3rd gen. My only issue is that my boy uses it all the time and he won't be happy if there is a chance his apps no longer work. haha

bunjy

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
No, profits do not win out, no matter what. There is a thing called "fanboy bragging rights". Now, an Android fanboy can say "we sell the most phones by far", while the Apple fanboys say "yeah, but Apple made more profit off of me". I'm just kidding, of course. At this time, since Jelly Bean has been released, the playing field has leveled at least, or probably Android is the better OS now for features. If you want simplicity, then iOS is probably best for you. But, if you want customization, ability to handle attachments, a file manager system, text wrap, and a larger screen with great resolution, then Android is for you. It's just a matter of what works best for each person. The age old argument of lag is pretty much gone with Jelly Bean, and the screens on phones such as S4, DNA, and HTC One are absolutely fantastic. Retina is a fine display, but not close to these. But I am sure that Apple will step it up.

Thanks. With a wife and three kids and a full-time job, I'm glad to be done with school.

Sure, if you're taking a "fanboy" perspective, you have a legitimate argument when it comes to market share only. However, that kind of thing means very little in the grand scheme of things. Just ask HTC what they think is more important. I promise you, they'd rather have a share of Apple's profits than a share of Android's "fanboy bragging rights".

Angelo_Campher

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site

Not close to these? You must be joking right...

From the DisplayMate tests the iPhone 5's screen is on par with those you mention despite it being 8 months older.

Display technology has come a long way and these tests are very scientific. The differences are not apparent to the naked eye...

So how do you arrive at the conclusion that Retina is not even close when you haven't done a study of your own? Or have you?

pappy53

Banned
Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Not close to these? You must be joking right...

From the DisplayMate tests the iPhone 5's screen is on par with those you mention despite it being 8 months older.

Display technology has come a long way and these tests are very scientific. The differences are not apparent to the naked eye...

So how do you arrive at the conclusion that Retina is not even close when you haven't done a study of your own? Or have you?

Yes, I have done a study, as I have owned an iPhone 5, S4, and DNA. The colors really pop on the Androids, as compared to the i5, and text is crisper on the Androids. Also, video playback is clearer. And with the superior camera of the S4, and even the other cameras, pictures look better on the Android screens.

Angelo_Campher

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I have done a study, as I have owned an iPhone 5, S4, and DNA. The colors really pop on the Androids, as compared to the i5, and text is crisper on the Androids. Also, video playback is clearer. And with the superior camera of the S4, and even the other cameras, pictures look better on the Android screens.

Colours popping out is not the same as accurate colour reproduction. Just because it looks cool doesn't mean it's better.

The S4 especially is over saturated due to it's LED display although not as bad as the S3...

There are very few displays as accurate as the iPhone 5's when it comes to colour reproduction. I think the only display better in that regard is the Retina iPad.

Angelo_Campher

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
The S4 is not oversaturated. Have you owned one?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I may not own one and quite frankly I refuse to buy Samsung products but I've played around with dozens of them. Darker colours, especially purple, looks oversaturated... (It does look nice, but it's not accurate).

The colour calibration on the iPhone 5 is second none, despite what you say, as evidenced by display tests conducted.

I'm still waiting for you to produce some sort of evidence apart from your naked eye test that the 8 month old Retina display is no where close to the S4 and DNA. Lets have it man.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Opinion ≠ Truth...no matter how many points you back it up with. The simple fact is, there are some that love it and some that hate it, and neither is "correct" because there is no "correct", there is only opinion.

redbeard

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
There is almost no point to responding to what you have said. According to you "fanboys" will try to explain iOS 7 shortcomings away.

Well uh, from someone who isn't a tech nerd, who didn't even know anything about fanboys, I sure have learned why people use the term, and I get it now, the way some people give Apple a God-like status just boggles the mind. That's everyones right, but so are dissenting opinions, and time and time again, when a large company has screwed a popular product up, it was consumer outcry that made them see their mistake and fix it. I'm pretty sure Apple is aware of the reaction to iOS 7, those in the know have said it's a work in progress and nowhere near finished, which would mean it isn't "good" yet. I hope they're right.

The problem is no one is explaining anything away. They are stating their opinion, the problem is you state your opinion as fact.

And so does everyone else.

The fact that you think it's a pre-school non-design means anyone that doesn't agree is just "explaining it away".

It's pretty telling when such a huge swath of people have the same exact reaction to it, everyone I've shown screenshots of iOS 7 to has said the same thing, go figure. I don't see how stick figure design is an improvement, why even have a retina screen?

I had no problem saying that I hated the design of the iPhone 4 at first but again you say you didn't as if you are the meter stick of good design.

And you are??? Who is exactly? Seems like every professional designer out there also thinks iOS 7 has a un-finished, kiddy look to it, sorry if I put more weight into their opinions than the average Joe.

Everyone is welcome to their opinion and my opinion is that many people will love iOS 7. My opinion is that iOS 7 is great and besides a few ugly icons I love the new features it brings to the table. I love not having to check for updates, love the way swipes in applications look, love the way the interface looks with the white or black elements. Sure there are other things that are still missing that I want but maybe they will come in time.

Clearly any opinion that doesn't just lavish praise on Apple is frowned upon here by many, it's like if you don't like it then you should just shut up and leave, if we are going to discuss it then everything has to be on the table, the good and the bad. The new features are great, the design isn't though, it extends far beyond a few icons, the entire OS looks like somebody painted a car white with a spray gun, and sprayed the windows, wheels and tires white too. It's just a big glob of white, with hard to read and decipher ultra thin font, there's no contrast, buttons, textures, realism that attracted so many to iOS in the past. The post I quoted said it best, the beautiful classy design is gone systemwide, it looks like someone made a bad all white Windows 8 theme, hopefully the rumors are correct that say that this a just a sketch that has a long long long way to go before public release. I just cannot see many of the people that love the iPhone like the older crowd, who do not have great eyesight and tech skills, finding this anything but a confusing mess. It's the "new Coke".

Dryland

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
Well uh, from someone who isn't a tech nerd....

And for that reason your opinion comes across as ******** and moaning. A tech "enthusiast" understands the transition Apple is making. To say this shows they are doomed as a company is plain ridiculous. No one is saying there aren't issues with iOS 7's design. Is it a step in the right direction? Almost everyone believes so, enthusiast and professionals alike. It just needs to be done right.

This is the new Apple. Change is here. Accept it or move on.

There will always be iOS 6 themes in the jailbreak community if you miss it so much. :sarcasm:

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
People talking about cash flow and market share, I mean , these are all good topics for a bussines class or someone who enjoys this stuff, but in reality who choses to use a phone just because the company makes more money than the other?? This is just silly..

pappy53

Banned
Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
"I just cannot see many of the people that love the iPhone like the older crowd, who do not have great eyesight and tech skills, finding this anything but a confusing mess. It's the "new Coke"."

Surely, Apple will make it readable to us with less than perfect eyesight. And, of course, a larger screen would be nice.:)

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Apple already caters to those with special needs in their Accessability features. They're available in the Settings app. They really don't need to do more than that... and my aging eyes handle the size of the iPhone5 quite well...

pappy53

Banned
Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Apple already caters to those with special needs in their Accessability features. They're available in the Settings app. They really don't need to do more than that... and my aging eyes handle the size of the iPhone5 quite well...

Yes, they do need to do more than that. That is a condescending comment. I'm not speaking of people that are nearly blind, but people that may have vision of 20/30 or 20/40. The accessibility features on the iPhone suck, with their so-called high-contrast setting. All that I'm saying is that hopefully Apple will not make everything so light that everyone can't read it. I'm glad that you're happy with the screen size, as are others, but if Apple ever does come out with an "S4" size screen, I think that you will see by sales figures just how many new customers they will have. There is a very, very huge market for larger screens, and people that would like to have an iPhone are having to go Android or WP8 because Apple will not fulfill their needs. I don't see the problem with having 2 different screen sizes, like the 4" and maybe a little wider 4.7".

Dryland

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
Yes, they do need to do more than that. That is a condescending comment. I'm not speaking of people that are nearly blind, but people that may have vision of 20/30 or 20/40. The accessibility features on the iPhone suck, with their so-called high-contrast setting. All that I'm saying is that hopefully Apple will not make everything so light that everyone can't read it. I'm glad that you're happy with the screen size, as are others, but if Apple ever does come out with an "S4" size screen, I think that you will see by sales figures just how many new customers they will have. There is a very, very huge market for larger screens, and people that would like to have an iPhone are having to go Android or WP8 because Apple will not fulfill their needs. I don't see the problem with having 2 different screen sizes, like the 4" and maybe a little wider 4.7".

I have 20/40 vision and can see everything in iOS 7 just fine. I was showing it off to my 63 year old mother who has poor vision and she never complained about it. I have the dynamic text set to the smallest setting possible to fit more information on a page and this still isn't an issue.

The lightweight font feels fresh and new.

Seriously tho, if its that hard for you to read with your glasses you may need new lenses.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh