The Non-Dev iOS 7 beta thread [no whining allowed]

Status
Not open for further replies.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
it's no mystery people are loading iOS 7 (beta) onto their devices and have no clue what a developers day involves. that being said::

rule #1 Do Not complain about it - you're just along for the ride. let the Devs and beta testers do all of the reporting so we can have a great and stable OS later on.

anyways, i have found the less apps installed the smoother it runs, and i'm fine with that

also, for some reason, after my 3rd time loading it (restored as new) the battery drain seems a little more stable than the previous two times before, weird. oh well

Superjudge

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Let people whine. Developers are doing it too. I'd say rule #1 should be ignore invalid complaints by not responding to them.

applefanboi

May 31, 2011
Visit site
I'm amazed at the amount of people installing it who seem to have no or very limited knowledge about tech, software, and/or betas in general.

piranhadonna

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
Also on my third time loading and the battery life seems better as well. I have also noticed that when receiving a call when phone is locked, after hanging up screen stays lit on lock screen and doesn't time out. Not complaining mind you, just wondering if anyone experienced this.

ninjamattic

Oct 25, 2009
Visit site
This thread is a great idea. Was it created by non-dev users, or angry devs trying to get them out? Lol. There is a surprising number of people who have no idea what they're doing going ahead and doing it. That's a fact. I think there's probably a good number of non-devs that know what they're doing, and we're just not hearing them griping about it.

lornaevo

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
I'm not a dev, but I won't say I have no idea about what I'm doing. After all I did get the beta loaded 3 of my devices. I've been using the beta since Monday night and I haven't complained about it yet. In fact I find it to be very stable on my iPhone 5. It's a bit laggy on the 4S. I really like this version of iOS. It's actually a joy to use this. Most of the reasons I jail broke in the past have been resolved with this build. I can't wait for the final product to be released.

Thanks

hochy

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
The non-devs who know noting about betas are going to be in for a treat if they don't downgrade before beta 1 expires ;)

ninjamattic

Oct 25, 2009
Visit site
Another thing I've noticed, not sure if this is for anyone else, when editing the text message list to delete messages, you must tap both the selection icon and delete twice. Interesting.

I'm a registered dev, but I haven't registered my UDID yet. New phone, and haven't really been in a rush.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
This thread is a great idea. Was it created by non-dev users, or angry devs trying to get them out? Lol. There is a surprising number of people who have no idea what they're doing going ahead and doing it. That's a fact. I think there's probably a good number of non-devs that know what they're doing, and we're just not hearing them griping about it.

Does it matter?

lornaevo

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Is your UDID at least registered?
If you we're asking me, then no I have not registered my udid, because I don't personally know any devs.

If you're suggesting I pay a dev on eBay or something, how is that any less wrong that what I did to get ios7 beta?

Agpe17

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
Like this thread a lot -- I've already gotten heat from some devs for having the beta even though I'm not a developer...

My opinion is iOS 7 has been great. I'm on Verizon, with an iPhone 5, and I've had it for a complete day. I'm wondering, re: battery life, if it will get better as it's conditioned? Is it almost like when you get a new phone?

I drained very quickly today, but I was also playing around a lot -- I love the direction iOS 7 is headed.

lornaevo

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Like this thread a lot -- I've already gotten heat from some devs for having the beta even though I'm not a developer...

My opinion is iOS 7 has been great. I'm on Verizon, with an iPhone 5, and I've had it for a complete day. I'm wondering, re: battery life, if it will get better as it's conditioned? Is it almost like when you get a new phone?

I drained very quickly today, but I was also playing around a lot -- I love the direction iOS 7 is headed.

From my experience, turning off auto brightness saves alot of battery.

Agpe17

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
From my experience, turning off auto brightness saves alot of battery.

I never have it on. No location on, brightness is about 50%. I also have a Mophie, which has been great for me today - and I'm sure, will continue to be with iOS 7, b1!

Daniel Smith4

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
This is the first time I've installed a Beta version on my phone before, I'm quite techie, understand it's Beta etc.. and know how to downgrade if I need to.

I probably will downgrade when my Apple charger arrives, IOS7 is great but it's too laggy for my liking (as to be expected), can't upgrade now because my non-apple charger will not work with my laptop after the update.

I do have a question though, what happens when Beta 1 expires? Some people say the phone becomes bricked, others say its usable but more as an IPod than a phone, anyone have an actual definitive answer?

Second question, I don't have a registered UDID number, will I get the update OTA despite this? Will I have to download Beta 2 from a torrent?

ninjamattic

Oct 25, 2009
Visit site
This is the first time I've installed a Beta version on my phone before, I'm quite techie, understand it's Beta etc.. and know how to downgrade if I need to.

I probably will downgrade when my Apple charger arrives, IOS7 is great but it's too laggy for my liking (as to be expected), can't upgrade now because my non-apple charger will not work with my laptop after the update.

I do have a question though, what happens when Beta 1 expires? Some people say the phone becomes bricked, others say its usable but more as an IPod than a phone, anyone have an actual definitive answer?

Second question, I don't have a registered UDID number, will I get the update OTA despite this? Will I have to download Beta 2 from a torrent?

It becomes unactivated, and you have to downgrade to the old firmware for your phone to be usable again. It's really not that big of a deal. You can set yourself a reminder to downgrade a few days before expiration (July 24th in this case), and be safe from any service interruption. No, without a registered UDID you won't get any updates. You'll have to repeat the process for beta 2 you ran for beta 1.

Personally, I'm downgrading for the second time today, as the phone app is completely unusable for me. No biggie though, I'll just try again on the next revision :). There's an awful lot of dev on non-dev hate in this forum for my taste. Glad there's a thread that endeavors to avoid it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods