Is EVERYONE an iOS dev?? ENVY.

Agpe17

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
So I'm a member of homescreen.me, a site where users can share their homescreens with the world.

It seems EVERYONE whose put a homescreen up HAS IOS7! It's KILLING me -- there are people who are YOUNG KIDS who have it.

What do you need to DO to be a developer? I know it's $99/year, but is there anything you need to DO? And do a lot of people do this just for early use of new releases?

Just curious about feedback!

Devinfowlkes15

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
So I'm a member of homescreen.me, a site where users can share their homescreens with the world.

It seems EVERYONE whose put a homescreen up HAS IOS7! It's KILLING me -- there are people who are YOUNG KIDS who have it.

What do you need to DO to be a developer? I know it's $99/year, but is there anything you need to DO? And do a lot of people do this just for early use of new releases?

Just curious about feedback!

Not everyone who have it pay 99 a year or a developer , many people know developer and got their UDID register online somewhere

Agpe17

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
Not everyone who have it pay 99 a year or a developer , many people know developer and got their UDID register online somewhere

Wow, I'm DYING to get iOS 7! I'm real envious of everyone who has it already - I thought everyone legitimately paid $99/year! Haha

anon(2254645)

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I'd love to have it right now too and show it off, but I'll wait until a more bug-free, fully-functional beta is released. The functionality of my iPhone 5 is more important to me.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Wow, I'm DYING to get iOS 7! I'm real envious of everyone who has it already - I thought everyone legitimately paid $99/year! Haha

And therein lies the rub. This is a developer preview release (as are all betas) - to allow the devs to begin testing their apps in the new iOS environment, and to allow them to tweak and update them to work with the new version. It?s not anywhere near ready for general consumption, and should NOT be installed on your primary/only device unless you?re willing to lose some (or a lot) of functionality and productivity. The iOS beta is not (supposed to be) a status symbol.

iRy757

May 14, 2012
Visit site
I have it on my primary device. Although I'm not a "certified" dev, I learn a lot from testing things. I've beta tested different OS' before as well as games, and other products alike. I'm a tech nut, as I've worked in the wireless field for years, and the developing tech interests me greatly. So while it might be frowned upon for someone who isn't an actual developer to beta test, I choose to anyways for the simple fact that I'm truly interested in seeing what the manufacturer has in store. I am aware that I'm prone to bugs and data corruption, but the experience is well worth it.

So don't feel discouraged. If you are aware of the risks and feel like its something you would enjoy taking part in for the learning experience, don't let anyone tell you you're not welcome to.

abazigal

May 9, 2013
Visit site
It's more likely that they simply downloaded a copy of the ios7 beta from the Web and installed it via iTunes. You don't even have to be registered as a device to do so.

Not exactly what apple intended, but entirely possible.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
I have it on my primary device. Although I'm not a "certified" dev, I learn a lot from testing things. I've beta tested different OS' before as well as games, and other products alike. I'm a tech nut, as I've worked in the wireless field for years, and the developing tech interests me greatly. So while it might be frowned upon for someone who isn't an actual developer to beta test, I choose to anyways for the simple fact that I'm truly interested in seeing what the manufacturer has in store. I am aware that I'm prone to bugs and data corruption, but the experience is well worth it.

So don't feel discouraged. If you are aware of the risks and feel like its something you would enjoy taking part in for the learning experience, don't let anyone tell you you're not welcome to.

But this means you are not beta testing it. You have no way of reporting bugs to Apple as a dev does, so there's no point. Beta testing doesn't mean playing with a beta copy of an os or app to see what you think of it or how you like it or how it works for you.

As for all the people posting screen shots - this is against Apple's TOS as well, and they shouldn't be doing it.

Dryland

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
And therein lies the rub. This is a developer preview release (as are all betas) - to allow the devs to begin testing their apps in the new iOS environment, and to allow them to tweak and update them to work with the new version. It’s not anywhere near ready for general consumption, and should NOT be installed on your primary/only device unless you’re willing to lose some (or a lot) of functionality and productivity. The iOS beta is not (supposed to be) a status symbol.

I don't develop iOS apps. However, I do support iOS devices in corporate in environments. I need to know whats happening with the new OS before its downloaded by any of my clients. And so far, iOS 7 is going to be a challenge for support when it's finally released. I see it being different enough for people asking more questions than the transition from iOS 5 to 6.

iRy757

May 14, 2012
Visit site
But this means you are not beta testing it. You have no way of reporting bugs to Apple as a dev does, so there's no point. Beta testing doesn't mean playing with a beta copy of an os or app to see what you think of it or how you like it or how it works for you.

Well I suppose you've got me there Alli. My point is that if it's out on the Internet, its anyone's business. You pay hard earned money for your products, so do with it what you will. If I paid $99 for the software to test it and then see that Joe Doe didn't pay a dime for it, it's not something I'm going to be bothered by on my end simply because its none of my concern. Then when something bad happens to Mr. Doe's iDevice you can have the quiet satisfaction of saying "I told you so." Or loud satisfaction, if rubbing it in someone's face is your forte.

At the end of it all, I completely see where you're coming from and I sincerely respect your opinion. But on the contrary, I have my opinions to defend as well.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I'm not a dev by any stretch of the imagination. I paid my $99 and install betas
as a regular user. I report bugs. Strictly on the OS and not how 3rd party apps
run with it. That's not what it's about. I install these things because I'm interested
and like doing my due diligence in reporting these things. Last year I reported more
bugs on beta 3 than I did on beta one. ghostface147 made the point in another
thread that letting the later betas come out tells you where their priorities stand
on the OS. There's nothing to be jealous of here. It's buggy and you probably
won't like it for your day-to-day use. Believe me.

Agpe17

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm not a dev by any stretch of the imagination. I paid my $99 and install betas
as a regular user. I report bugs. Strictly on the OS and not how 3rd party apps
run with it. That's not what it's about. I install these things because I'm interested
and like doing my due diligence in reporting these things. Last year I reported more
bugs on beta 3 than I did on beta one. ghostface147 made the point in another
thread that letting the later betas come out tells you where their priorities stand
on the OS. There's nothing to be jealous of here. It's buggy and you probably
won't like it for your day-to-day use. Believe me.

First off, fantastic avatar.

Secondly, I'm not a dev at all either, but I would also like to see the implications for use in my field/career. I've been seeing people say the contrary -- that it's running pretty damn smooth,and bugs, if ANY, are minimal.

AmazingGraceTx

May 7, 2013
Visit site
My son paid for a developer account. I have iOS 7 on my white iPhone 5 and he has it on his black. Interesting how different both our phones look with the same home screen. We're both looking for bugs and glitches to report to Apple. My thought is. I'm not officially a developer per se, but I am an avid Apple consumer. And if I can test this product and give some feedback that can maybe improve the performance, then it's all good. Being a Beta tester, in my opinion, makes me feel like I have something invested in how this iOS may perform later. It's like I'm making a difference in a company I love.

anon(52425)

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
I have been developing an app for the past 2 years (lol). I sort of gave of last year but hold on to the dev account for the betas. I am very happy with iOS 7 and surprised by the stability so far. Has a hiccup here and there but it's not that bad. I have seen worse.

abazigal

May 9, 2013
Visit site
It shouldn't be posted on any legit websites. Can you find it somewhere? Yes. Could be possibly be a fake, have viruses, etc? Yes. If you're uuid isn't registered in the dev program as a valid test device, is it possible that it won't work or will have problems when the beta expires? Yes. Should Jane/John Doe be installing the beta? No.

Tried it, played around with the beta for a day, restored back to 6.1.3 afterwards. Just do a quick google search.

The file seemed legit enough. Just that ios7 had its fair share of kinks on my 4s, and I simply wanted to satisfy my curiosity.