Votes: 14 35.9%
  • Who cares? who looks at icons for more than a few seconds anyway

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

anon(2254645)

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I love all of the new features of iOS7 but along with most of you am super bummed about the new look of the icons and text messaging screen/bubbles. It was so beautiful in iOS6.

I'm hoping that there is an option to choose whether you want the new icons and new messaging vs. old.

Do any of the people here who installed the developer version see an option for this?

Also, if people wind up disliking the look to much is there an option to stay with iOS6?

Thanks much! :)

If you're referring to staying with iOS 6 as your operating system, I don't think Apple will force you to upgrade. You can choose to ignore the update. But if you mean upgrading to iOS 7 functionality but keeping the iOS 6 icons, etc., probably not.

RealNeal

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
I like a lot of the new design changes and enhancements, but the issue with the icons does bother me. As someone who has had some design experience, the rub is the inconsistancy between them - there isn't something that unifies them and says - 'hey! I'm a native iOs7 app!'. In iOS6, you at least had the button 'shine and hightlight' to make things partially cohesive. Now that is totally gone, and you have icons with gradient backgrounds, and icons without. You have icons with dark to light gradients, and icons with light to dark gradients. You have icons that are totally 'flat', and icons that have 3d shiny bubbles on them (Game Center). You have icons that are dark and almost 'Goth', and icons that are bright and technicolor. There is literally nothing that unifies them, and that is what bothers people. And some of them are just plain ugly. I haven't heard a single person say they liked the Safari icon. Everyone hates it. Or the new Settings icon. Or Newsstand. Why this matters is that the expectation of something coming from Apple was that we would see AMAZING design esthetics! That's what they're known for. Tim Cook bragged and bragged that Johhny Ive has the best taste in the WORLD! But I think that level of 'amazing' is missing in places - and tragically - on the screen you'll probably see the most often. I have already seen 4 or 5 alternative iOS7 icon sets posted on the web, and sadly, ALL of them look better than what Apple has done. You would think icons would be fairly straight forward to get right. There may be limits to Johhny Ives taste after all...

Richard Nieves

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
for me it's not damned if they do and damned if they don't I love the new OS it's just the F'in icons mostly but I think the folders are definitely a step back if it ends up making it out to the public in the form it is in now. Folders used to hold 12 icons I believe now it is down to 9, so what if there are more pages that just leads to more swiping. None of this means I wont use it I sure as hell will because the other changes outweigh these little minor gripes.

You can hold more than nine icons in the new folders. Do you Just not want to swipe through folder pages? There wouldn't be another way to allow more folder pages without swiping. I mean they could have done 12 or 16 a page. I don't think it will be a huge big deal though but I think it would be welcome if it changed :)

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
You can hold more than nine icons in the new folders. Do you Just not want to swipe through folder pages? There wouldn't be another way to allow more folder pages without swiping. I mean they could have done 12 or 16 a page. I don't think it will be a huge big deal though but I think it would be welcome if it changed :)

I know there are more pages but while previously a folder held 12 icons now each page only holds 9. It's not a big difference but people who will be combining 3 or 4 folders into one with 48-60 apps now have to scroll and scroll and scroll. Some people will just use two pages and continue to make multiple folders so the new feature that is just provided has not really done much. I'm not saying any of my gripes will end the world. It certainly wont stop me from using iOS 7 as it hasn't stopped me from using the beta but they are still gripes.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I know there are more pages but while previously a folder held 12 icons now each page only holds 9. It's not a big difference but people who will be combining 3 or 4 folders into one with 48-60 apps now have to scroll and scroll and scroll. Some people will just use two pages and continue to make multiple folders so the new feature that is just provided has not really done much. I'm not saying any of my gripes will end the world. It certainly wont stop me from using iOS 7 as it hasn't stopped me from using the beta but they are still gripes.

And if ANY icon in the folder gets a badge, the folder is badged... then you have to go hunting for the app that was badged... it’s more of an inconvenience than a real problem... but why not eliminate the annoyance to begin with?

Richard Nieves

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
Are there gonna be shadows behind the icons...

ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1371259969.462285.jpg

Or not...

ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1371260127.522881.jpg

shadows behind the icons make them look better against the background as well as help make text more readable.

zerilos

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
I'm really kind of neutral on the appearance of the stock iOS apps; however I do think they look worse against the pastel background they used when introducing iOS 7. Good news is, I believe you can toss any app you don't like into a folder and never look at it unless you plan to use it. Let's face it, most of the apps you will have on your phone will be not be the stock iOS apps and the 3rd party developers get to design what they'll look like.

Cleveland

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
The only app icons really driving my nuts is the settings app icon and safari ... Especially settings .. It looks like sh*t.. And the phone and messages icon look too much alike in terms of much alike ... I know they were the same colors in iOS 1 - 6 ... Maybe just a little darker green would make them better ... Those are the only ones I have issues with - other than that I like the look and feel of iOS 7 as a whole ... Just those drive me nuts haha

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I am really liking the look of iOS 7. I’d prefer to see a little less saturation in some of the icons - specifically, the iTunes Store, Music, Phone and Messages icons seem to almost glow because of the high saturation

Attachments

• after.png
    after.png
    118.3 KB · Views: 81
  • before.png
    before.png
    115.9 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I think iOS 7 look is a refreshing change. I had no problem with the look of iOS 6. I thought the detail in the old icons were cool but the new look has a light airy look to it. The iOS 6 look really set it apart from the others.

anthony81586

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm a huge fan. I think it's an awesome and refreshing update. That "paralaxing" (sp?) feature with the icons overlaying your wallpaper is absolutely stunning in my opinion. Also, with my previous iPhones I never had a wallpaper on my home screens (just luck screen) because you couldn't really see it, so now with the slight transparency thought out the system... Needless to say I bought into the whole idea your wallpaper setting the "mood" of your phone.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

mynameis

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Maybe I'm the only one, but I really like what Apple has done with iOS 7. I don't really like the FaceTime icon. It's way to green. But the new notification center, how transparent everything is, the way messaging is, I just like it. I really do. I feel like nobody likes it because they are used to how iOS has looked since the beginning. Because there really has been no change in it throughout its existence. Obviously there is things that have changed, but the overall look hasn't much. I just don't think people like change. I understand that iOS has "just worked", but just because it looks different doesn't mean it won't anymore.

I think it looks good. I like it. Bring on iOS 7.

EggoEspada

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
I was extremely skeptical at first, but it's growing on me. It's very refreshing. My only issues at this point is some of the icons like Safari and Settings look downright horrible. And a lot of the icons look so saturated. Then there's the way the Notification Center is organized. It makes it seem so cluttered and it's an extra click to get to what I really care for (the all tab). It's not entirely convenient for my needs. I see what they were trying to do there, but it needs a little mote rethinking.

Passed all that, the 5S/6 may be my next phone if this overhaul progs to make my experiencene stellar. I look forward to seeing how iOS7 will behave on the iPad as well.

Sent from my HTC One

Richard Nieves

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
I was extremely skeptical at first, but it's growing on me. It's very refreshing. My only issues at this point is some of the icons like Safari and Settings look downright horrible. And a lot of the icons look so saturated. Then there's the way the Notification Center is organized. It makes it seem so cluttered and it's an extra click to get to what I really care for (the all tab). It's not entirely convenient for my needs. I see what they were trying to do there, but it needs a little mote rethinking.

Passed all that, the 5S/6 may be my next phone if this overhaul progs to make my experiencene stellar. I look forward to seeing how iOS7 will behave on the iPad as well.

Sent from my HTC One

I totally get what you mean about notification center, but maybe there is a default tab wont ion so you can have the all tab be the main one. I personally get the tabs idea as well, but, like you said, it could prove to be annoying to switch between menus. Time will tell how well this will work. I think the new way has potential but may need some tweaks.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
I hated the old Safari icon. I hate the new one. A compass just doesn't tell me I'm looking for a browser, so even after years on iOS, I constantly look right past Safari.

Are the Phone, iMessage, and Facetime icons a little too green? Maybe so. Then again, those should be the apps used most frequently on a phone, and this is, after all, a phone. So these items stand out so that you can find them.

MrMars

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
I can't wait. Personally, I grow tired of looking at the same thing all the time. Looking forward to the new UI.

iCeborg

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
to answer the question in one word, incomplete.
Picture this:
Ive working hard on his Dell...er..Mac Book Pro working on the icons. Cook barges in, "Ive we've got 5 minutes until WWDC begins. Are you done yet?" Ive (looking completely haggard): "Just.....give me a moment will you? Applying gradient on the App Store icon..." Cook: "And it's done?" Ive: "No? I still have to design the control centre, the Games Centre icon...the clock, the camera...the..." Cook (obviously angry): "Ok Stop...Just get whatever you have got."

*Curtains*

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I like it. It's refreshing, professional looking, trendy and is what the tech heads claimed they wanted. I'm looking forward to the fall when it is released to the general public.

I second that emotion! So long as iOS 7 "works" I'll be golden!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2