iTunes - Firmware not compatible?

iRy757

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Hello all.

In attempts to option click update on my Mac and update to iOS 7, iTunes tells me the firmware is not compatible. No error number either. I am positive I have the proper firmware for my model. I also restored to iOS 6.1.4 as new before hand so I am assuming the error is within iTunes (which is on the latest version).

Any advice on how to fix this issue would be very appreciated. Thanks!

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Re: Firmware not compatible?

firmware is not compatible means that the ipsw you got is not the right one for your phone. What is your iPhone? if it's an iPhone 5 there are two models 428 and 429 I think. I know mine is the 428 model but if for instance you got the other ipsw you would get that error. If you give us some more info about your iPhone then we can help more.

iRy757

May 14, 2012
Visit site

firmware is not compatible means that the ipsw you got is not the right one for your phone. What is your iPhone? if it's an iPhone 5 there are two models 428 and 429 I think. I know mine is the 428 model but if for instance you got the other ipsw you would get that error. If you give us some more info about your iPhone then we can help more.

Thanks for the response. It is on Verizon, CDMA. I downloaded the 429 for CDMA. Then I thought, well since that doesn't work maybe I should try the GSM version (428) so I did that and got the same result. It's an iPhone 5.

iRy757

May 14, 2012
Visit site

Update: got it working simply by switching and trying another computer. But now I'm getting an "Error 3194". Know how to bypass that?

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site

I think this will be a lot easier if you tell us the steps you're doing to load the file? Also are you doing it on Windows or a Mac? maybe post up a screenshot. Also when was the last time you downloaded the ipsw? sometimes when the servers get slammed you can end up with corrupted downloads. So now that the mad rush has probably subsided you might even download the file again to make sure you have a good copy. I'll check back to see more of your info.

iRy757

May 14, 2012
Visit site

Alright. I was originally doing it on my Mac but abandoned that. Here's what I've done

1) restored my iPhone to updated 6.1.4 and started "as new iPhone" relinquishing my jailbreak and returning it back to stock.

2) downloaded .ipsw via [source] which was reliable, for CDMA iPhone 5.

3) plugged in iPhone and launched iTunes on a Windows PC rather than my Mac that wasn't doing it for some reason.

4) shift click update on PC and selected the iOS 7 .ipsw that I downloaded.

5) allow iTunes to extract software and perform the update as it would normally, which it extracts without flaw.

6) connecting to iTunes Store after extraction.. Success.

7) BAM! The dream crush after hours of waiting to get this far. Error 3194. Haunting me with its unwanted presence.

Saw a solution to delete some type of coding in system32> etc folder that holds "host" file. Going to do that now.

So, I believe the .ipsw is solid. Windows PC. iPhone 5. Will try to screenshot if it fails. Don't really know PC too well, but screenshot shouldn't be difficult one would assume.

P.S. THANK YOU! For taking the time to assist me with this, you are extremely helpful. Please keep me posted with possible solutions as I will do the same.

pulkitrh

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site

heyy
how did u bypass the not compatible firm ware thing. im using a windows laptop with ios 6.1.3 on my ipod touch 5 and im sure that i have the correct ipsw file for ios 7

iRy757

May 14, 2012
Visit site

Just followed directions. Downloaded the .ipsw - should have labels as to which device it works on. Updated and restored my iPhone to latest version which was 6.1.4 and set up as new. Shift/option click UPDATE not RESTORE and selected the downloaded .ipsw.

The not compatible thing I couldn't bypass for some reason on my Mac so I used my fianc?'s PC and it went through.

For the 3194 error you have to delete a command in c:/ windows / system 32/ drivers / etc / host with iTunes closed. Reopen and shift/option click update and select .ipsw again and it went through. With the help of my fingers being crossed of course.

Nicholas Lee1

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site

I have a similar problem. It says that my iphone is not compatible.
I am on rogers so I downloaded the correct gsm file.
(I have the iphone 4 16gb model)
please help!! im dying to try out ios7!!

AdityaMEHTA

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site

HELP !!!!! i have a iphone 5 a1428 model and i downloaded the right firmware of iOS 7 twice ! i restored to the latest 6.1.4 but still when i hit option+update it says "firmware not compatible " . i even tried with a a1429 firmware , but no luck.pleeeeeeeez help !!!!

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site

HELP !!!!! i have a iphone 5 a1428 model and i downloaded the right firmware of iOS 7 twice ! i restored to the latest 6.1.4 but still when i hit option+update it says "firmware not compatible " . i even tried with a a1429 firmware , but no luck.pleeeeeeeez help !!!!

I'm also dealing with the same issue -- says it's not compatible!

Check with your developer boss or contact Apple through the Dev Center for assistance. If you’re not a developer, put down the software, step away from the beta.

Agpe17

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site

Check with your developer boss or contact Apple through the Dev Center for assistance. If you’re not a developer, put down the software, step away from the beta.

Do those who are $99/year devs have to download anything? Or does iOS 7 just appear as a software update in iTunes?

Agpe17

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site

He sent me a screenshot of my name on the dev list! STILL will not work....what if you currently have 6.1.4? Do you still need to restore?

Agpe17

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site

If you don't know the answer to that and/or don't know how to install the beta, then maybe you aren't/shouldn't be in the dev program…

So by your logic, if you don't really know too much about something, no use in doing it?

I'm new to beta testing and UDID registration, so forgive me.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site

So by your logic, if you don't really know too much about something, no use in doing it?

I'm new to beta testing and UDID registration, so forgive me.

When it comes to beta software, yes. if you have no clue, then just don’t do it. If you want to learn how, go to the dude who hooked you up and ask him to show you how to help him (because that’s what you’re supposed to be doing with it). If you just got it to have it, then go pound sand.

Agpe17

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site

When it comes to beta software, yes. if you have no clue, then just don’t do it. If you want to learn how, go to the dude who hooked you up and ask him to show you how to help him (because that’s what you’re supposed to be doing with it). If you just got it to have it, then go pound sand.

You're making it seem as if I'm the only one who registered their UDID JUST to have the iOS 7 beta -- if that's what you're hinting at, you're definitely mistaken. There are TROVES of people who registered their UDID "just to have it(iOS 7)", and have nothing to do with app development or SDK's.

I just came looking for some guidance on the issue, I didn't expect such negative feedback. My apologies for any inconveniences I've caused you guys. Just looking for some help.