iOS 7 Developer Beta info and Bug discussion

el_capitan10

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Re: Beta 1 thoughts

Its a different animation, drops in from the top still but its a black rectangle now that drops down & pulls up

Ok thanks. I was hoping that they didn't touch upon it at all because they wanted to show off a quick reply, but it wasn't ready. Unfortunately I don't think that's the case :(

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site

One more tip that I discovered... to close/quit apps, you have to slide the screen image up to quit an app in the app switcher. No more "wiggle" mode there. #trialanderror

Last edited:

ios4ever

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site

One more tip that I discovered... to close/quit apps, you have to slide the screen image up to quit an app in the app switcher. No more "wiggle" mode there. #trialanderror

I like this new look to quit apps.... Should make it better to not accidentally close apps

mjk5025

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site

The keyboard does change a bit. I checked email and texting (lighter grey) and Facebook (darker grey).

Keyboard looks right for me in all the stock apps, but in any downloaded app (facebook, twitter, etc), it still shows the old keyboard... anyone have thoughts on this?

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site

I was going to do a post about my thoughts after running beta one so far. So I guess I'll just put it here instead :) . I'm not going to bother going through what doesn't work, crashes, etc. that is all part of a beta and is to be pretty much expected. Instead I'm going to more go through my opinion on the new look and functionality of iOS 7 as an iOS user. I'm sure some will disagree and that's cool it's my opinion after all I'm not saying this is how it is I'm just saying this is how it is for me.
Now to me an update to an OS should make things easier to do and more beneficial for the user. In that regard this update is really good, there are some features that make things easier to do like control center which has toggles, notification center from the lock screen, organization in the photos app, etc. The transparency that has been applied is also great, the music app on the lock screen doesn't completely cover the lock screen image completely. However some things in iOS 7 I personally think it has gone a bit backward. The look of the icons is the first thing I noticed, they seem so juvenile now it's like something my little brother made in photoshop. A lot of people thought that eventually Apple would have to make changes to iOS and I agree that this is definitely a change but the OS is supposed to be upgraded. I have no problem with the flatness but I find the actual look of the icons, the images on the icons, in some of the native icons were much better before. This is a personal thing since I have friends who agree with me and others who like the current look. I just think that the icons added a bit of polish and elegance before that they didn't have to remove to go flat. Why couldn't they keep the same icons but just make them flat? The fact that notifications on the lockscreen make the image below distorted with the transparent effect but there is no way to dismiss the notifications so they just stay there ruining the lock screen image and building up is another thing that irks me. The folders now, while they have pages and can hold more apps, each page only has 9 apps. So the more apps there are the more scrolling it will require to find them. The folder should use the full screen so it would be like home screens in a folder but it would cut down on the scrolling while allowing more space for apps.
I mention these things becasue while other things like bugs, battery drain, keyboard shortcuts not working, etc. will be fixed. I don't think there will be any changes to the look of the icons, etc so I guess we'll see how other customers react to them when it's released.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site

Keyboard looks right for me in all the stock apps, but in any downloaded app (facebook, twitter, etc), it still shows the old keyboard... anyone have thoughts on this?

it's only day 1 of the beta I'm sure as devs update their apps it will all become streamlined.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site

The folders now, while they have pages and can hold more apps, each page only has 9 apps. So the more apps there are the more scrolling it will require to find them. The folder should use the full screen so it would be like home screens in a folder but it would cut down on the scrolling while allowing more space for apps.

I like your thoughts on the folder thing. Having the ability to put unlimited icons in a folder is great, but yeah, the excessive scrolling will get old quick.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site

I can't stop looking at my home screen. I love the way they've done the 3D effect. /gushing

I've only installed on my 4S test device, and so far all my apps are working fine including the iCloud restore function. So that's already a step up from last year's update to iOS 6 which instantly broke DataVault.

I can't stand the photo organization. Why couldn't they just do them alphabetically? That would make sense. The photos app has also crashed when trying to save to photostream, and it just doesn't "feel" like photostream integration is working right. That may change.

​Anyone else have the photo app crash?

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site

Just to update: The program I use on Windows to extract the DMG to IPSW
is called DMG Extractor and is published by Reincubate Ltd.

Johnbibbs

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site

Has anyone figured out how to download and store an entire playlist on the beta? I can only seem to do it one song at a time.

markhunsaker

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site

Thanks kilcher...I was afraid of that. It also seems to not go well with a black iPhone (and in fact, on Apple's site it's all just on a white iPhone, oddly). I did see some screenshots where the keyboard was a grey color with white lettering...I wonder if that does change color depending on what you're doing?

Yes, the keyboard has a layer effect and is semi transparent so the color really depends on what you have behind it in some cases. Messages it is the white light gray theme but you can see things ever so slightly behind it. I do hope for a darker theme. I like the clean white but at night it's like staring into the sun. So I just set up my triple click assess ability home click to invert the colors. I do hope Apple provides a dark theme option.

markhunsaker

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site

I believe the FB app for example, needs to implement the new APIs for the keyboards to show up.

Vapor86

Jun 23, 2012
Visit site

Anyone else having these issues and has anyone found a solution:

1.) My Podcasts app are totally messed up and wont work
2.) My bose headphones control doesnt work, the volume does but not start/stop/ff
3.) Cant seem to use the emoji keyboard

markhunsaker

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site

I do hope they will do a close all apps option at some point. Yes the card flicking is nice (reminds me a lot of AUXO and my old Palm Pre) but it isn't super fast to close several apps.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site

Anyone else having these issues and has anyone found a solution:

1.) My Podcasts app are totally messed up and wont work
2.) My bose headphones control doesnt work, the volume does but not start/stop/ff
3.) Cant seem to use the emoji keyboard

Please understand that this is a beta version and thing are expected to not work. Go ahead and submit your bug reports (minus the bose headphones issue) to Apple and work with the developer forums. I do have keyboard issues from time to time as well.

stoneland

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site

Yes, the keyboard has a layer effect and is semi transparent so the color really depends on what you have behind it in some cases. Messages it is the white light gray theme but you can see things ever so slightly behind it. I do hope for a darker theme. I like the clean white but at night it's like staring into the sun. So I just set up my triple click assess ability home click to invert the colors. I do hope Apple provides a dark theme option.

Thanks...I hope so too!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro