Battery not charging to 100% sometimes

davidliu

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Hi people,
I noticed its been twice that my iphone 4s didn't charge to full 100%. It only charged to 98%.
Bad news ehh...
Has anyone ever got this problem before?
I am jailbroken OS6.1 by the way. Any directions to point me to?
Thank you!

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Hi people,
I noticed its been twice that my iphone 4s didn't charge to full 100%. It only charged to 98%.
Bad news ehh...
Has anyone ever got this problem before?
I am jailbroken OS6.1 by the way. Any directions to point me to?
Thank you!

How long was it on the charger?

There seems to be some anecdotal evidence that the phone charges to 100%, and then the charging process shuts off... this allows (causes) the phone to lose charge for a while, and then when it hits the "trigger" point of about 95-96%, charging resumes... and the process repeats... this could be what’s happening to your phone... others report that it could simply be a battery calibration issue - which you could solve by charging fully, then draining all the way to 0% once every month or two.

davidliu

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
How long was it on the charger?

There seems to be some anecdotal evidence that the phone charges to 100%, and then the charging process shuts off... this allows (causes) the phone to lose charge for a while, and then when it hits the "trigger" point of about 95-96%, charging resumes... and the process repeats... this could be what?s happening to your phone... others report that it could simply be a battery calibration issue - which you could solve by charging fully, then draining all the way to 0% once every month or two.

Well in both instances, i left it charging all night cos i fell asleep. I don't normally do that though.
However i realize these 2 incidents (recently) just started occuring, it has never happened before in the past.
Never thought about the charging process shutting off, which actually is kinda cool too if it actually does do that.
Thank you for sharing your knowledge on this issue. I hope it wont happen again.
Cheers!

Paradocks

May 5, 2012
Visit site
I believe the lithium-ion battery in today's smartphones requires that the charging process be stopped when it reached 100% to prevent damage to the battery. My Android phone does the same thing...charges to 100%, stops charging, then starts charging again when the battery drops to a certain percentage. I have a battery app that actually made a graph of this process. I'll see if I can post a screen shot of the graph.

Sent from somewhere

Paradocks

May 5, 2012
Visit site
Here you go. See the spikes in charging in the middle of the night? Hits 100%, stops, then starts charging again:

uploadfromtaptalk1370364217781.jpg

Sent from somewhere

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Well in both instances, i left it charging all night cos i fell asleep. I don't normally do that though.
However i realize these 2 incidents (recently) just started occuring, it has never happened before in the past.
Never thought about the charging process shutting off, which actually is kinda cool too if it actually does do that.
Thank you for sharing your knowledge on this issue. I hope it wont happen again.
Cheers!

Happy to help, and good luck...

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Also, try letting your battery completely drain and then attempt to charge it uninterrupted to 100%.

Paradocks

May 5, 2012
Visit site
Also, try letting your battery completely drain and then attempt to charge it uninterrupted to 100%.

Be careful about completely discharging a lithium ion battery. From Wikipedia, lithium ion batteries "last longer if not deeply discharged (depleted) before recharging. The smaller the depth of discharge, the longer the battery will last."

Sent from somewhere

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I used to have this problem before and in my case it had nothing to do with the charging system. When you take it off the charger and it says 98% do a reboot and I bet it will say 100%. What happened to me was there was some corrupted data on my phone that was messing things up. I got it to stop when I un-synced my music, ringtones, apps off the phone reboot, killed all the processes in the app switcher. Then I plugged in my phone and powered it off and let it charge for like 3 hours. When I put all my stuff back on the problem just went away. It worked in my case and it was easier than restoring fresh.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
my girls iphone 4 has this same problem only seems to get to 96% and she has a habit of charging it when it gets in the 30% range

I told her today to wait till she sees the 10% warning to charge it

my 5 holds at 100% for close to 15 minutes before it starts to drop off in the morning with light use

davidliu

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for sharing your observations here everyone!
It hasn't happen to my phone again but i did make sure to unplug at 100%. Also try to not charge until battery is down to at least 20%.
Have a nice day!

ridiculocity

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Are you using a third party or not original charger (eBay)? I had the same problem with my iPhone 4 using an official charger and cable sorted it.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2