Iphone Jailbreak Question Data?

zroy13

May 31, 2013
Visit site
I was wondering if there is a cydia app out there that would allow me to trick my phone to think it's always on wifi. I know that there is some apps out there, but they say you will just be able to use facetime and everything. Before buying these apps i want to know if these apps allow me to basically trick my phone to think im always on wifi. Meaning if i'm streaming pandora, spotify, using youtube will that still go towards my data plan?

So really if i get these apps will i have unlimited data?

Laelipoo

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Yes. They do trick the phone to THINK its on wifi, like you said, but that is because certain features are blocked over 3G (downloading apps over 50MB, FaceTime in certain places, hd YouTube, etc). But you're not actually on wifi, you're using your data plan, so it will eat up your data.

AmpedPotato

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Data used on your mobile network will still count against your cap. The data is measured by the cell company, not the phone itself. As previously stated, there are apps that circumvent some of Apple's artificial limitations but that will not stop the data from counting against your cap.

I've been using My3G so that I can fully utilize my unlimited T-Mobile data plan. Apple can take their artificial limits and put them where the Sun don't shine.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Data used on your mobile network will still count against your cap. The data is measured by the cell company, not the phone itself. As previously stated, there are apps that circumvent some of Apple's artificial limitations but that will not stop the data from counting against your cap.

I've been using My3G so that I can fully utilize my unlimited T-Mobile data plan. Apple can take their artificial limits and put them where the Sun don't shine.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

You should take a moment to look at things before ranting.

These features are allowed on some carriers and not on others. While some of it is hardware limitations, like talking and surfing not working on CDMA, the software limitations aren't equal across all carriers. If the limitations are unequal across carriers, wouldn't the logical point of blame be carriers? Obviously Apple is willing to enable the features if some carriers have it. Who else would be in that discussion?

AmpedPotato

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
You should take a moment to look at things before ranting.

These features are allowed on some carriers and not on others. While some of it is hardware limitations, like talking and surfing not working on CDMA, the software limitations aren't equal across all carriers. If the limitations are unequal across carriers, wouldn't the logical point of blame be carriers? Obviously Apple is willing to enable the features if some carriers have it. Who else would be in that discussion?

Actually my factory unlocked iPhone on T-Mobile was artificially limited by Apple by default, long before T-Mobile finally released a carrier profile a month ago. I haven't tested it since I got the carrier update, but my point still stands, Apple places these limits by default.

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Actually my factory unlocked iPhone on T-Mobile was artificially limited by Apple by default, long before T-Mobile finally released a carrier profile a month ago. I haven't tested it since I got the carrier update, but my point still stands, Apple places these limits by default.
I'm sorry you missed the point.

Let's try this again.

T-mobile says "please don't enable that feature."
Apple says "ok"

You place full blame on Apple. "Actually" a big share of the blame is your carrier. Placing sole blame on either party is an act of willful ignorance.

AmpedPotato

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm sorry you missed the point.

Let's try this again.

T-mobile says "please don't enable that feature."
Apple says "ok"

You place full blame on Apple. "Actually" a big share of the blame is your carrier. Placing sole blame on either party is an act of willful ignorance.

Funny you say I missed the point when in fact it was you. T-Mobile wasn't even supported by Apple until a month ago, therefore I was on a generic default GSM carrier profile for almost a year. On that carrier profile, 3G restrictions were already in place. T-Mobile might very well have asked Apple to limit it anyway since they are now supported, however, once again, my point still stands, Apple enables the restrictions by default.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods