How do i upgrade from ios4 to ios 5 if the gadget doesn't have software update option?

vvvvvvv10000000000

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Hi!
My friend's bought a jailbreak iPhone. Now it's ios 4. I tried to install Skype but Appstore asks ios5 for it. I can't get ios5. I just don't see the update button. In several minutes after my attempt I saw a pop up window. The window offered to install updates. Which updates- it didn't say. Just informed that there're updates available. I waited for 3 minutes but nothing happened. So, what do you offer?

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
You'd need to give us a bit more information.

Which device are you working with? In order to get to iOS 5, you'll need to be on a 3GS or newer. 3G and older will not work with iOS5. Additionally, the ability to upgrade directly from the phone was introduced in iOS5. You'll need to connect to a computer to upgrade beyond your current build.

When you do so, you'll lose the jailbreak. Is the jailbreak important to you? Is the phone unlocked? If so, you're running the risk of losing that unlock by updating firmware. I'm assuming you don't know anything about the SHSH blobs stored on the phone. You might be able to use those to restore to a version of iOS other than the most current. They will only help if you're on the 3GS or 4 and if they exist for your specific phone. If not, your only options are to remain where you are or upgrade to 6.1.3 and lose the jailbreak and potentially an unlock.

If you'd like to see what SHSH blobs you have available, go to: Dev-Team Blog Download the appropriate version of redsn0w.
Plug your phone into your computer.
Open redsn0w. Choose "Extras" then "SHSH blobs" -> Query -> Ok.

This will give you a list of blobs Cydia has stored for your device. If you can get this information, we can help direct you a bit easier.

mynameis

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
It sounds like he is just wanting Skype on his phone and seeing that its running iOS 4, he can't. If you have a 3GS or newer, connect it to the computer and update it. You will lose the jailbreak, but you can get it back.

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
It sounds like he is just wanting Skype on his phone and seeing that its running iOS 4, he can't. If you have a 3GS or newer, connect it to the computer and update it. You will lose the jailbreak, but you can get it back.
You're assuming the phone isn't an "unlocked" phone.
You're assuming the OP has a SIM card for the carrier if the phone is locked.

If either of your assumptions is incorrect, connecting and updating will bring in new problems.
The unlocked baseband will be lost.
Without the SIM, he won't be able to activate his phone.

Both of those possibilities are why I wanted more information before giving him any real direction. I prefer pass on potential consequences.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73