Jailbroken Iphone 5 Water Damage

crvntscndy

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Last week as I was getting ready to go to the doctors I was getting ready in the restroom & my iPhone fell from my back pocket onto the toilet. The water was clean as I had not gone to the restroom. But it was fully submerged and I took it out right away but the screen turned white with flickering lights and I couldn't power it off so I held the power button and home screen button. I immediately put it in a bowl of rice and took out the sim card and protective plastics. But I'm afraid since the screen started flickering and turned white right away all this waiting is being useless. I've read around but no one mentions not being able to turn it off and having a flickering screen or anything, so have any of you gone through this? Or have any tips?

Well tonight after 5 days I believe, it didn't turn on. Not even vibrate. Not even an apple. Or a black or white screen.

So I'm guessing it got fried?

The thing is I had it jailbroken. Yup a problem.

Would any of you by any chance happen to know if they could still turn it on and see its been jailbroken?

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Last week as I was getting ready to go to the doctors I was getting ready in the restroom & my iPhone fell from my back pocket onto the toilet. The water was clean as I had not gone to the restroom. But it was fully submerged and I took it out right away but the screen turned white with flickering lights and I couldn't power it off so I held the power button and home screen button. I immediately put it in a bowl of rice and took out the sim card and protective plastics. But I'm afraid since the screen started flickering and turned white right away all this waiting is being useless. I've read around but no one mentions not being able to turn it off and having a flickering screen or anything, so have any of you gone through this? Or have any tips?

Well tonight after 5 days I believe, it didn't turn on. Not even vibrate. Not even an apple. Or a black or white screen.

So I'm guessing it got fried?

The thing is I had it jailbroken. Yup a problem.

Would any of you by any chance happen to know if they could still turn it on and see its been jailbroken?
Are you covered by insurance or AppleCare? I'm assuming so as you're asking is question.

If its not turning on, I'd doubt they would take the effort to find a way to enable the HD to look for cydia. If they can get it going, they'd decline you for the jailbreak. Then you go home, restore, and return to discuss the water damage and you'll be fine.

crvntscndy

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Are you covered by insurance or AppleCare? I'm assuming so as you're asking is question.

If its not turning on, I'd doubt they would take the effort to find a way to enable the HD to look for cydia. If they can get it going, they'd decline you for the jailbreak. Then you go home, restore, and return to discuss the water damage and you'll be fine.

Yes I have applecare+ :)

Also since i couldn't turn it on I couldn't clear it up...does this also mean no one will have access to my information, lets say if they ever used that phone as a refurbished replacement?

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Yes I have applecare+ :)

Also since i couldn't turn it on I couldn't clear it up...does this also mean no one will have access to my information, lets say if they ever used that phone as a refurbished replacement?

If it won't turn on at all, and they go to refurb it... it will likely be disassembled, and any viable parts will be cleared of any previous stored info before being used in other devices...

androidluvr2

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
Last week as I was getting ready to go to the doctors I was getting ready in the restroom & my iPhone fell from my back pocket onto the toilet. The water was clean as I had not gone to the restroom.
Call apple. I know with Asurion, if a phone falls into an unflushed toilet, they consider it a biohazard (which they should). In that case, they ship you a new phone and do not have you send the old phone back. They blacklist the IMEI of the phone that fell into the toilet so it is not like you can ever use it again.

I suspect that if you just say toilet, they won't take the phone back because they will not assume that even though you did not use the toilet, that it was sanitary. Not all toilets flush all the way, ya know? Gross, I know, but even grosser to be someone who has to handle the device.

Call Apple and explain the situation. See how they want to handle it. They probably won't even want the device back since it has the potential to be a biohazard.