Apple trying to make Siri better the right way

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the article Brandon...;)...Having said that, my gripe is this: If we're going to be advocates of privacy then let's be advocates of privacy and stop giving companies a pass to mine our alleged "private data" under the guise of improving their products and services. The article states that Apple "associates a random number, which it associates with your voice files..." and then goes on to state that after a certain period of time or after you've turned off Siri, "Apple will disentangle the number from your Siri files, severing all ties with you." Being random and yet having a direct link to customer files are contradicting, in my opinion. Maybe I'm over-analyzing, huh?...:D

phonejunky

Jan 24, 2010
Visit site
Well me. I'm a big Google fan and don't really have any issues with privacy being a Google Advocate. But from a persons standpoint who would want total or some privacy I see exactly where you're coming from. It is a bit of a hey we're keeping your data along with who it is tied to but not as long as the competition. They also don't seem to be using the data for anything else besides improving siri which is also a plus compared to their major competitor Google. I get your gripes though, it's a bit contradicting. They're just the lesser or the two evils.

tgp

Trusted Member
Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
My personal view is that "you can't have your cake and eat it too." Part of the reason Google is the best at search and targeted ads is because of their data mining. Yes, it can be called an invasion of privacy (and rightly so), but Google could not have become as accurate and precise as they are without it. There is a reason "Google" has become a verb, but "Bing" and "Yahoo" and "Ask" have not. I personally have no problem with the data retention and use, but I certainly understand if someone does. To me, it's worth it to have the convenience of Google's services. To others, it isn't. Pick your poison.

I agree with CrackberryBrandon that Apple has the right idea with using the data but disassociating it with the user. It might be a compromise that will give consumers the feeling that their privacy is considered.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Well me. I'm a big Google fan and don't really have any issues with privacy being a Google Advocate. But from a persons standpoint who would want total or some privacy I see exactly where you're coming from. It is a bit of a hey we're keeping your data along with who it is tied to but not as long as the competition. They also don't seem to be using the data for anything else besides improving siri which is also a plus compared to their major competitor Google. I get your gripes though, it's a bit contradicting. They're just the lesser or the two evils.

My personal view is that "you can't have your cake and eat it too." Part of the reason Google is the best at search and targeted ads is because of their data mining. Yes, it can be called an invasion of privacy (and rightly so), but Google could not have become as accurate and precise as they are without it. There is a reason "Google" has become a verb, but "Bing" and "Yahoo" and "Ask" have not. I personally have no problem with the data retention and use, but I certainly understand if someone does. To me, it's worth it to have the convenience of Google's services. To others, it isn't. Pick your poison.

I agree with CrackberryBrandon that Apple has the right idea with using the data but disassociating it with the user. It might be a compromise that will give consumers the feeling that their privacy is considered.

I have no problem with the stance that the both of you have taken in regard to the article and neither do I have a problem with your stance in regard to companies mining data. My thought process was on our seemingly inherit desire to maintain privacy. As a nation, we stress the importance of privacy but then we willingly give up that privacy especially when something is presented to us a being 'free'. Either we advocate privacy or we don't. That is what I was trying to convey. Now in regard to what Apple is doing to improve our interaction with Siri, it isn't doing anything that other companies aren't doing in regard to data mining our information.

Last edited:

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
seriously there's no way around privacy in the tech world in my opinion if your honest in life you worry less

I don't believe any of my data is completely hidden from prying eyes

tgp

Trusted Member
Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
As a nation, we stress the importance of privacy but then we willingly give up that privacy especially when something is presented to us a being 'free'.

For me, the reason I willing give up my privacy isn't so much because the product is free, although that plays into it. It's more because the product is very convenient and helpful.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
For me, the reason I willing give up my privacy isn't so much because the product is free, although that plays into it. It's more because the product is very convenient and helpful.

Whatever works for you, my friend...:)...Take care and thanks for the feedback. :D

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73