* Is Passbook a complete waste of time? I don't even use the thing!

thatotherdude24

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Unless I'm mistaken, only Apple has a "gift card" that works with Passbook. Anyway, gift cards, reward cards, coupons, boarding passes, etc., that is Passbook supported gets scanned by the retailer or Airlines, etc., with a laser scanner so yes, the store scans your phone, so to speak. Yes, the scanner they use are Passbook compliant and no, it will not cause damage to your device.

I don't completely get the last part....they have to be Passbook compliant or the scanners they already use are able to handle Passbook?

Bekrah

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
I still don't understand how to make store/reward cards with Passbook.
KeyRing Is so much easier but I like the coordinate feature associate with PassBook that KeyRing lacks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

MrMars

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
I find no use for passbook. I've put a couple things in there but it's been so long since I opened the app I don't even remember which ones lol!

Bekrah

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
This past weekend I used PassBook about 3 times. I am getting used to it.. Less I have to carry.. :)

Are you using it for store/reward cards? How did you figure out how to create cards that actually work with store scanners?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

xybadog

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
You can view a list of Passbook supported apps HERE.

I clicked on the link and it showed me exactly the same 6 retailers that I get in the UK. So either there are only 6 in the US too or I can only see 6 because of my regional App Store settings so I'm still not sure if we're getting short changed yet again here in the UK.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I clicked on the link and it showed me exactly the same 6 retailers that I get in the UK. So either there are only 6 in the US too or I can only see 6 because of my regional App Store settings so I'm still not sure if we're getting short changed yet again here in the UK.

When I click on the link, it shows 29 apps available for use with PassBook. I can only assume that the link automatically adjusts to display the available apps according to your location.

xybadog

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
When I click on the link, it shows 29 apps available for use with PassBook. I can only assume that the link automatically adjusts to display the available apps according to your location.

That's what I assumed. Thanks for that.

Vast difference between 29 and 6. The only ones we have in the UK are Starbucks, united airlines, American Airlines, Lufthansa, a hotel booking service and one that is only available in London.

So, as you can see, in the UK we only have Starbucks that is of any use on a regular basis. I don't know if I could handle the caffeine high that regularly to make it of any use.

It's unfortunate because the concept is brilliant.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
How many of you use Passbook? I tried to use it and it doesn't seem to add ANY kind of functuality in my daily life at all. Was this just a novelty? How many of you use it and for what purpose??

I tried it once at starbucks and it took like 5 scans for it to work. It's trying to solve a problem that I don't really have. So passbook lives in my junk app folder.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I tried it once at starbucks and it took like 5 scans for it to work. It's trying to solve a problem that I don't really have. So passbook lives in my junk app folder.

Really? Starbucks, at least in my experience, scans quickly and without a problem. Was your screen smudgy?

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Really? Starbucks, at least in my experience, scans quickly and without a problem. Was your screen smudgy?

No, I'm not sure why it was so difficult. My wipe my screen off almost every time I use my phone on my pants or shirt. I had high hopes it would work better than the RFID in my debit card (works about 17% of the time) or NFC (worked about 40% of the time on my GNexus) being that it was just scanning a bar code.

sau124

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
I fly a lot for work and love using the United mobile boarding passes on Passbook in addition to Starbucks... getting United MBP is another story, but I like the gate updates right on the home screen...

Gus2259

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Dryland
I found the site Passoupons yesterday and thought I'd check it out at iMore to see if anyone here had comments on it. I found where you had made a post in 2013. Have you had any issues using the Passoupons site? I can add coupons to Passbook from their site easily but was more concerned about security. Anything you can share would be appreciated.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Dryland
I found the site Passoupons yesterday and thought I'd check it out at iMore to see if anyone here had comments on it. I found where you had made a post in 2013. Have you had any issues using the Passoupons site? I can add coupons to Passbook from their site easily but was more concerned about security. Anything you can share would be appreciated.

They're website state the following: "Passoupons are regularly updated on your device automatically..." I don't know if I like that. I understand Starbucks, Various Airlines and stuff like that updating Passbook based on transactions, but to have coupons auto-updated via what I'm guessing to be a third-party website makes me a little leery.