If I jailbreak an iPhone 4S running iOS 6.1, can I update it to iOS 6.1.2?

androidluvr2

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
The title of the thread says it all, but to repeat:

Is there any way to go from 6.1 (10B141) to 6.1.2 (10B146) on an iPhone 4S without going to 6.1.3? Or can you only go from 6.1 directly to 6.1.3?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: Is there any way to go from 6.1 (10B141) to 6.1.2 (10B146) on an iPhone 4S without going to 6.1.

If your device is NOT jailbroken, you will upgrade to the latest iOS version -- 6.1.3.

androidluvr2

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
Re: Is there any way to go from 6.1 (10B141) to 6.1.2 (10B146) on an iPhone 4S without going to 6.1.

If your device is NOT jailbroken, you will upgrade to the latest iOS version -- 6.1.3.
What if it is jailbroken, can you do it then (go from 6.1 to 6.1.2)?

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

What if it is jailbroken, can you do it then (go from 6.1 to 6.1.2)?

I'm not jailbroken so I can only 'assume' it is possible. If the device is jailbroken, let me know so I can rename & move this thread to the jailbreak section for a better chance at getting answered.

androidluvr2

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site

I'm not jailbroken so I can only 'assume' it is possible. If the device is jailbroken, let me know so I can rename & move this thread to the jailbreak section for a better chance at getting answered.
No, the device is not jailbroken. I am just trying to understand what the options are for this device because I want to sell it. I noticed that when people list their devices for sale they make a point of saying what iOS a phone is on because that determines whether it is jailbreakable or not.

It is probably a good idea to move it to the jailbreak section, though, since that appears to be the only option if there even is an option.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

No, the device is not jailbroken. I am just trying to understand what the options are for this device because I want to sell it. I noticed that when people list their devices for sale they make a point of saying what iOS a phone is on because that determines whether it is jailbreakable or not.

It is probably a good idea to move it to the jailbreak section, though, since that appears to be the only option if there even is an option.

I understand, but I would simply list it for sale and indicate that it contains iOS 6.1 and that you refrained from updating it to the latest versions for jailbreaking purposes or something to that effect. Anyway, whatever you decide to do, be sure to follow the guidelines listed HERE.

androidluvr2

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site

I understand, but I would simply list it for sale and indicate that it contains iOS 6.1 and that you refrained from updating it to the latest versions for jailbreaking purposes or something to that effect.
Thanks I went ahead and posted the question in a different form in the jailbreaking section because I would like to know the answer just to be informed about jailbreaking. I don't know much about jailbreaking and I want to know more, but I think it is the same as unlocking the bootloader and rooting an android, which I have done with my android phone and would like to do to my mom's iPhone 5 at some point.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

Thanks I went ahead and posted the question in a different form in the jailbreaking section because I would like to know the answer just to be informed about jailbreaking. I don't know much about jailbreaking and I want to know more, but I think it is the same as unlocking the bootloader and rooting an android, which I have done with my android phone and would like to do to my mom's iPhone 5 at some point.

I deleted that thread and moved this one over instead.

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site

No. It's not possible.

You would have needed to save your shsh blobs while apple was signing 6.1.2. Even then, you'd have been waiting for someone to find a hack that worked on the 4s

androidluvr2

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site

You would have needed to save your shsh blobs while apple was signing 6.1.2. Even then, you'd have been waiting for someone to find a hack that worked on the 4s
I have no idea what any of that means, lol!

Recipe7

May 17, 2012
Visit site

You can't update to iOS versions which apple is no longer supporting. Since they are on 6.1.3, they are no longer supporting 6.1.2. Regardless of being jailbroken or not.

The only way to update to 6.1.2 is if you jailbroke your phone at 6.1 while 6.1.2 is supported by apple, then save your 'shsh blob' (basically saving 6.1.2 to your phone) through cydia. However, I don't know of anyone who has updated from anything below 6.1.2 on their 4s and successfully got 6.1.2 on their iphone.

Either way, you can't. Gotta wait for the next JB.

Just enjoy a JB on 6.1, it's all the same jailbreak.

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site

I have no idea what any of that means, lol!

Apple requires a signed verification for each install of iOS. When you install the newest version, you'll see the bar at the top of iTunes connecting to the Apple servers after you've downloaded the iOS and start the installation. At this point, it's verifying you're installing the newest version.

If you're installing an older iOS, you need to trick it into working. The way you do this is with the SHSH blobs. They're a copy of the verification for your specific device for that specific iOS. Ie, my blobs won't work for you. Your blobs for 6.1.3 won't work for 6.1.2, etc.

The iPhone 4s and 5 are hacked using a group of exploits. The older phones have a more powerful exploit that works regardless of iOS. As a result, the older phones typically are jailbroken much quicker and it's easier for developers to find a way to downgrade their iOS to a version that matches the blobs. With the 4s and 5, more work is required. That work hasn't been completed yet. As such, the SHSH blobs aren't enough. You'd need both the blobs AND for someone to take the time to find a way to use them in a hack. Right now, you're missing both pieces, unfortunately.

Does that explain it a little better or do you have any questions that I can help clarify?

androidluvr2

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site

Does that explain it a little better or do you have any questions that I can help clarify?
thanks, I understand it better now. So is the best thing to do if you want a jailbroken version of the latest iOS, when a new update comes out, download it to your phone, but don't install it. Then wait for someone to jailbreak it, install it and then jailbreak it?

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site

If you download it, it will start the install from what I understand.

The best thing to do if you want a jailbroken iOS is to simply not upgrade. Don't download the upgrades. Just don't do it.

When jailbreaking tools come out, they are for the current iOS. You can take the "current" evasi0n tool as an example. They found exploits to jailbreak 6.0.x. They held onto those as they knew 6.1 was releasing soon. That way, it'd be more unlikely Apple would patch those exploits. When 6.1 came out, they released the tool that worked on both 6.0.x and 6.1. As the first two updates to 6.1 came out, they updated the tool to work on those as well.

In the time leading to the release, they gave information on twitter and their site letting potential jailbreakers know which versions of iOS would work with their tool. That provided you with a "window" to upgrade to the newer iOS or remain with the one you were on. Had Apple patched the exploits in 6.1, the jailbreak would have been released to work with 6.0.x. In that case, downloading the upgrade wasn't useful until evad3rs let everyone know 6.1 would also work.

Also, you bring up "download it to your phone" which suggests you're looking at the OTA update option. If you want to jailbreak, get out of that habit now. You'll want to update iOS via iTunes and a computer rather than OTA. Things tend to work better for jailbreakers that way. The OTA update will allow jailbreaking, but you'll lose some other functionality. As an example, downgrading in the past hasn't be available to OTA updated phones in some cases.

If you're currently on 6.1, there's no real need to go to 6.1.3. 6.1 will jailbreak with the tool found at evasi0n iOS 6.x Jailbreak - official website of the evad3rs while 6.1.3 will not.

androidluvr2

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site

Also, you bring up "download it to your phone" which suggests you're looking at the OTA update option. If you want to jailbreak, get out of that habit now. You'll want to update iOS via iTunes and a computer rather than OTA. Things tend to work better for jailbreakers that way. The OTA update will allow jailbreaking, but you'll lose some other functionality. As an example, downgrading in the past hasn't be available to OTA updated phones in some cases.
Thanks! That is good to know!

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site

You can't get 6.1.2. Without the blobs, which we've already established you don't have, you'll never be able to get 6.1.2.

It's pointless for you to worry about what 6.1.2 offers. Instead, focus on the two options you currently have: 6.1 and 6.1.3.

The biggest updates I'm aware of between the two related to enterprise options for the iPhone. If you don't know what this is, you're not using it.

Your best bet to find out what happened in those updates is to go ask the iPhone 4s forums or search for the "6.1.1" and "6.1.2" released threads here.

Marc-Oliver Schulz

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Sorry for my stupid question. But please try once more to explain me, what to do.

I have a A1332 GSM iphone4 and I'm working with iOS 6.1, jailbreaked. I will go to iOS 6.1.2 because of the exchange server probs - I know, I'm very late ... In tinyUmbrella I have SHSH 6.1.2 (10B146)
Can I upgrade - and how to do it? I can't find a step by step...

Thanks for your help!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2