Verizon is SIM unlocking my iPhone 4S

WhiteSpir1t

May 26, 2013
Visit site
The SIM unlock on a 4S on Verizon is for international GSM only. US-based GSM providers are blocked elsewhere in the radio chipset.

Nope not in the chip. It's a plist file you need to remove from within the phone.

Of course the question then remains with 3 choices to make this CDMA unlock possible:

1. Jailbreak and use a sim imposer with removal of the CDMA radio file inside the filesystem.

Or

2. Buy a new phone

yashicat4

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
I recently got a used iphone 4s who's network carrier is sprint. it has a clean imei and i was wondering if there is any way at all to switch it to verizon. im getting conflicting reports as to whether one can get one cdma carrier to recognize a foreign imei. most of those forum posts are from 2012 and recently ive been seeing posts saying that can be switched using the r-sim iii or another sim card like that. so is it possible or can i only hope to switch it to a gsm carrier such as metro pcs, cricket etc. I'd appreciate anything that can finally answer what so many contradictory posts can not

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Verizon will not activate an iPhone4S that was not OEMed for them by Apple... there is no way to activate a Sprint iPhone on Verizon.

The GSM part may be unlocked by Sprint for use outside the US... or, use one of those Gevy or r-sim devices for use with US based GSM provider...

neeraj priyadarshi

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I got a 4S gift from one of my colleague who travels frequently in USA. however he was not sure if that's was Verizon and it would nt be unlocked . I am currently using Iphone 4s with Turbo sim or Gevey Sim. however i would be interested if i can do factory unlock and will able to update my IOS after that. I reside in India . Also i didnt know if that's a clean phone or not. Also i didn't have number to recognize might if i call to Verizon for the same. Is there any way out for it . Please help me or i need to continue using it in the same condition as I am using now.

Appreciate your input.

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Hi, I got a 4S gift from one of my colleague who travels frequently in USA. however he was not sure if that's was Verizon and it would nt be unlocked . I am currently using Iphone 4s with Turbo sim or Gevey Sim. however i would be interested if i can do factory unlock and will able to update my IOS after that. I reside in India . Also i didnt know if that's a clean phone or not. Also i didn't have number to recognize might if i call to Verizon for the same. Is there any way out for it . Please help me or i need to continue using it in the same condition as I am using now.

Appreciate your input.
Your safest bet is to remain in your current state. I'm sure at some point Gevey Sim will update to work with iOS7, but I haven't heard many good reviews as of yet.

anontemp123

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
An alternative to not having a gevey sim is to have Verizon unlock the iPhone 4S. Once unlocked, disable the CDMA antenna so it will only default to the GSM signals.

- Go to /System/Library/Carrier Bundle/iPhone delete folder Zeppelin_US.bundle and delete your sim card carrier

My VZW 4s is unlocked for international use. SIM cards for domestic (USA) GSM carriers don't work. According to WhiteSpir1t, I would only need to disable the CDMA antenna to effectively fully unlock the phone. Has anyone else successfully done this without a Gevey sim? I couldn't find a report confirming this solution.

Does "delete you SIM card carrier" instruct to delete the carrier of the SIM card that was already in there (VZW's intl roaming SIM card) or the carrier of the SIM card you are inserting? What if the carrier is something like SimpleMobile which doesn't have a bundle folder?

Lastly, I've read all sorts of posts on changing settings to make SMS, MMS, data, iMessage, FaceTime, etc work properly. Is that not necessary with this method?

WhiteSpir1t

May 26, 2013
Visit site
My VZW 4s is unlocked for international use. SIM cards for domestic (USA) GSM carriers don't work. According to WhiteSpir1t, I would only need to disable the CDMA antenna to effectively fully unlock the phone. Has anyone else successfully done this without a Gevey sim? I couldn't find a report confirming this solution.

Does "delete you SIM card carrier" instruct to delete the carrier of the SIM card that was already in there (VZW's intl roaming SIM card) or the carrier of the SIM card you are inserting? What if the carrier is something like SimpleMobile which doesn't have a bundle folder?

Lastly, I've read all sorts of posts on changing settings to make SMS, MMS, data, iMessage, FaceTime, etc work properly. Is that not necessary with this method?

Anontemp23 the answer to all your questions is yes. SimpleMobile, as T-Mobile's MVNO doesn't have a carrier setting bundle afaik. SimpleMobile would default to using the "Unknown.bundle" inside /System/Library/Carrier Bundles/iPhone/ folder.

I am aware this is in iOS 5.x . I cannot confirm this same folder structure exists in iOS 6 or 7, but it's gotta be there I'm sure.

Now, with all that said, modifying the above will not turn off the CDMA antenna. The plist file responsible for kick starting the CDMA signal lies in /var/wireless/ .

Look for something like: "carrier_310VZW_20404_12.0.plist"

That should be your target file for removal. Or better, move it out of that folder and reboot with or without your simple mobile sim card, trial and error which ever works.

Posted via BlackBerry Z10

Last edited:

anontemp123

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
SimpleMobile, as T-Mobile's MVNO doesn't have a carrier setting bundle afaik. SimpleMobile would default to using the "Unknown.bundle" inside /System/Library/Carrier Bundles/iPhone/ folder.

I am aware this is in iOS 5.x .

Thankfully, I never upgraded from iOS 5.x.

I'm assuming Zeppelin_US.bundle has to go regardless, but, for SimpleMobile, would I still need to delete/rename Unknown.bundle or leave it alone? In other words, would I delete just Zeppelin_US.bundle, or would I delete both Zeppelin_US.bundle and Unknown.bundle?

WhiteSpir1t

May 26, 2013
Visit site
Thankfully, I never upgraded from iOS 5.x.

I'm assuming Zeppelin_US.bundle has to go regardless, but, for SimpleMobile, would I still need to delete/rename Unknown.bundle or leave it alone? In other words, would I delete just Zeppelin_US.bundle, or would I delete both Zeppelin_US.bundle and Unknown.bundle?

Wherever you see Unknown.bumdle, leave It alone. That bundle should be left alone for all unsupported carriers.

Zeppelin_US.bundle is to be moved away to be backed up or deleted as Verizon is no longer needed. At anytime in the future should the phone be used on Verizon again, just simply move that zeppelin bundle back into its place where it should be again.

Posted via BlackBerry Z10 <-----like the last fart--the last desperate fart of a dying corpse

anontemp123

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
I've been unsuccessful so far, but I think I'm close..

(The Verizon iPhone 4s has already been unlocked by Verizon for international use. I confirmed this by inserting an international SIM and iTunes gave me a message that the phone was unlocked.)

First, there is no Sprint plist file under /var/wireless/Library. I have two files: carrier_310VZW_20404_12.0.plist and carrier_310VZA_20404_12.0.plist. If I delete these files, the carrier_310VZW_20404_12.0.plist file is automatically regenerated when I restart the phone. I can never disable the CDMA antenna. Every time I delete this file, turn off and on the phone, and it connects right back to Verizon again.

If I insert the SimpleMobile SIM, the phone will give be an "Activation is required" message and will fail to activate.

If I insert the international SIM, the phone will activate, then if I insert the SimpleMobile SIM again, I will see TMobile pop up in the upper left for a few seconds before it return to the "Activation is required" meessage. (And it will fail to activate.)

Oddly, I can't find which TMobile bundle is being used by the SimpleMobile SIM. I see a bundle for many countries but not US. Is there anyway to figure out which bundle is in use?

Say I am able to identify the TMobile bundle, delete that, and then get the phone to default to Unknown.bundle. Everything should work then as far as I understand. But would I also need to "import" the TMobile settings into Unknown.bundle for Facetime and iMessage to work correctly?

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site

You missed a key part of whitespirit's first post. "An alternative to not having a gevey sim is to have Verizon unlock the iPhone 4S. Once unlocked," That's not the same as unlocked for international use. It's still locked domestically.

anontemp123

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
natasftw, I've read everything many times and I'm fairly certain whitespir1t meant "unlocked for intl use". Otherwise, why would I have to do anything else at all? If it was fully unlocked, there wouldn't be any extra steps needed.

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
natasftw, I've read everything many times and I'm fairly certain whitespir1t meant "unlocked for intl use". Otherwise, why would I have to do anything else at all? If it was fully unlocked, there wouldn't be any extra steps needed.

It comes unlocked for international use. Why would you have to take those steps to get what's already there? It sounds like an odd process all around. Good luck with it =)

anontemp123

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
I've had some further progress, but ultimately unsuccessful in using my SimpleMobile SIM in my Verizon iPhone 4s.

Here's some background: This was a brand new shrinkwrapped iPhone 4s and came with iOS 5.1.1 already installed. It was never used prior to starting this adventure. I had to connect it to one of the phone numbers under my Verizon plan because otherwise Verizon wouldn't unlock it for international use. Once Verizon unlocked the 4s, I immediately took the 4s off my plan and all I have done on the 4s since then is try to "fully" unlock it for use with a SimpleMobile SIM. I really only need it for international use, so if I can't get it to work on SimpleMobile, it's not a big deal. Just a side project.

As stated, after Verizon told me they had unlocked the 4s, I took it off my Verizon account. (I'm restating this in case you need to have the phone active under a Verizon plan for all this to work. I don't see why, though.) I removed the Verizon factory SIM. I inserted an international SIM and connected the iPhone 4s to iTunes 10.5.3. I got a message stating the the phone was unlocked. I inserted a SimpleMobile SIM and the phone gave an "Activation required" message. I connected to iTunes again, but this time I got a message that "The SIM card that you currently have installed in this iPhone is from a carrier that is not supported under the activation policy that is currently assigned by the activation server." I reinserted Verizon's factory SIM.

(Whenever the iPhone 4s reads "Activation required", as soon as I open the SIM tray, the message will go away and I can use the phone again. Also, whenever I insert the international SIM, I never get an "Activation required" message and the phone will always read "No service" in the upper left corner.)

I proceeded to jailbreak and update Cydia. I also added RecoveryGuard through Cydia so I don't accidentally update from 5.1.1 to iOS 7.

Then I used iFunBox to make changes to the filesystem as described by WhiteSpir1t above. In my case, for a brand new Verizon iPhone 4s with iOS 5.1.1 pre-installed, I found a few details different. But first, if you are backing up carrier bundles and plist files and such, make sure you set iFunBox to disable binary plist (bplist) conversion from binary to ascii by navigating to the Help->Troubleshoot menu. Second, I define the CDMA antenna as disabled if a Verizon signal doesn't show on the upper left corner of the screen. If it's possible for the CDMA antenna to be disabled, but for the upper left corner to still shows bars and read "Verizon", then I don't know what I'm doing.

I found that deleting the plist files from /var/wireless/Library had no effect on the CDMA antenna. The only way I could disable the CDMA antenna would be to delete the Zeppelin_US.bundle folder under /System/Library/Carrier Bundles/iPhone. In fact, I could leave the plist files under /var/wireless/Library there, and as long as I had delete the Zeppelin_US.bundle folder, the CDMA antenna would remain disabled. Furthermore, the plist files under /var/wireless/Library would only regenerate if I had the Verizon factory SIM inserted. So, if I had deleted the plist files under /var/wireless/Library, left alone the Zeppelin_US.bundle folder, and the SIM tray was empty, I would get a Verizon signal without having the presence of any alleged CDMA antenna kickstarting /var/wireless/Library plist files. I confirmed all these permutations many times before posting here. Anyway, I deleted the plist files under /var/wireless/Library, deleted the Zeppelin_US.bundle folder, emptied the SIM tray, confirmed the CDMA antenna was disabled (by getting "No Service" in the upper left corner), and continued.

Now, I inserted the SimpleMobile SIM. I discovered through the /var/mobile/Library/Carrier Bundle.bundle symlink that SimpleMobile defaults to Unknown.bundle (under /System/Library/Carrier Bundles/iPhone). (Oddly, with the Zeppelin_US.bundle folder removed, the Verizon factory SIM defaults to Vodafone_nl.bundle.) There was one brief instance where, right after inserting the SimpleMobile SIM, I saw multiple signal bars and the word "T-Mobile" on the upper left corner before the phone locked down with an "Activation required" message, but it happened just once and I have never been able to to duplicate that again. Regardless, I now always get one bar without any service label (no "SimpleMobile" or "T-Mobile"), an "Activation required" message, and receive the same activation error via iTunes I wrote above. (If I activate over Wi-Fi, I receive the same error, too.) Also, oddly I don't see any US T-Mobile bundle under /System/Library/Carrier Bundles/iPhone, just a bunch of foreign T-Mobile bundles. And, the Unknown.bundle folder contains a whole bunch of T-Mobile files in there and the plist file under Unknown.bundle also contains multiple occurences of the string "T-Mobile".

I observed that the international SIM also defaults to the Unknown.bundle folder. At this point I am confused. If the SimpleMobile SIM defaults to Unknown.bundle the same as the international SIM, why do I have to disable the CDMA antenna at all? It seems to me iTunes is transmitting the ICC ID to Apple to decide whether or not to activate the SIM on this phone, so it wouldn't matter what bundle is in use. I know the Gevey SIM is reported to work on a Verizon 4s under iOS 5.1.1, so my logic must be faulty. I'm thinking either Unknown.bundle is somehow identifying my SimpleMobile SIM as a domestic SIM, or the international SIM doesn't really "work", I just have that illusion right now because that SIM gives "No Service", that somehow because the SimpleMobile SIM connects (although I just see one bar), the phone won't activate. I'm thinking the latter because when I insert the international SIM, the phone just reads "No service" and continues working. It doesn't ask me to activate via iTunes or anything.

More than anything, I hope this helps someone. Thanks everyone for your time, especially WhiteSpir1t.

Edit: Maybe I should also add that this phone has never been set-up, registered, backed up, or restored with iTunes. I have just used iTunes to "unlock" and try to activate SIMs.

WhiteSpir1t

May 26, 2013
Visit site
I've had some further progress, but ultimately unsuccessful in using my SimpleMobile SIM in my Verizon iPhone 4s.

Here's some background: This was a brand new shrinkwrapped iPhone 4s and came with iOS 5.1.1 already installed. It was never used prior to starting this adventure. I had to connect it to one of the phone numbers under my Verizon plan because otherwise Verizon wouldn't unlock it for international use. Once Verizon unlocked the 4s, I immediately took the 4s off my plan and all I have done on the 4s since then is try to "fully" unlock it for use with a SimpleMobile SIM. I really only need it for international use, so if I can't get it to work on SimpleMobile, it's not a big deal. Just a side project.

As stated, after Verizon told me they had unlocked the 4s, I took it off my Verizon account. (I'm restating this in case you need to have the phone active under a Verizon plan for all this to work. I don't see why, though.) I removed the Verizon factory SIM. I inserted an international SIM and connected the iPhone 4s to iTunes 10.5.3. I got a message stating the the phone was unlocked. I inserted a SimpleMobile SIM and the phone gave an "Activation required" message. I connected to iTunes again, but this time I got a message that "The SIM card that you currently have installed in this iPhone is from a carrier that is not supported under the activation policy that is currently assigned by the activation server." I reinserted Verizon's factory SIM.

(Whenever the iPhone 4s reads "Activation required", as soon as I open the SIM tray, the message will go away and I can use the phone again. Also, whenever I insert the international SIM, I never get an "Activation required" message and the phone will always read "No service" in the upper left corner.)

I proceeded to jailbreak and update Cydia. I also added RecoveryGuard through Cydia so I don't accidentally update from 5.1.1 to iOS 7.

Then I used iFunBox to make changes to the filesystem as described by WhiteSpir1t above. In my case, for a brand new Verizon iPhone 4s with iOS 5.1.1 pre-installed, I found a few details different. But first, if you are backing up carrier bundles and plist files and such, make sure you set iFunBox to disable binary plist (bplist) conversion from binary to ascii by navigating to the Help->Troubleshoot menu. Second, I define the CDMA antenna as disabled if a Verizon signal doesn't show on the upper left corner of the screen. If it's possible for the CDMA antenna to be disabled, but for the upper left corner to still shows bars and read "Verizon", then I don't know what I'm doing.

I found that deleting the plist files from /var/wireless/Library had no effect on the CDMA antenna. The only way I could disable the CDMA antenna would be to delete the Zeppelin_US.bundle folder under /System/Library/Carrier Bundles/iPhone. In fact, I could leave the plist files under /var/wireless/Library there, and as long as I had delete the Zeppelin_US.bundle folder, the CDMA antenna would remain disabled. Furthermore, the plist files under /var/wireless/Library would only regenerate if I had the Verizon factory SIM inserted. So, if I had deleted the plist files under /var/wireless/Library, left alone the Zeppelin_US.bundle folder, and the SIM tray was empty, I would get a Verizon signal without having the presence of any alleged CDMA antenna kickstarting /var/wireless/Library plist files. I confirmed all these permutations many times before posting here. Anyway, I deleted the plist files under /var/wireless/Library, deleted the Zeppelin_US.bundle folder, emptied the SIM tray, confirmed the CDMA antenna was disabled (by getting "No Service" in the upper left corner), and continued.

Now, I inserted the SimpleMobile SIM. I discovered through the /var/mobile/Library/Carrier Bundle.bundle symlink that SimpleMobile defaults to Unknown.bundle (under /System/Library/Carrier Bundles/iPhone). (Oddly, with the Zeppelin_US.bundle folder removed, the Verizon factory SIM defaults to Vodafone_nl.bundle.) There was one brief instance where, right after inserting the SimpleMobile SIM, I saw multiple signal bars and the word "T-Mobile" on the upper left corner before the phone locked down with an "Activation required" message, but it happened just once and I have never been able to to duplicate that again. Regardless, I now always get one bar without any service label (no "SimpleMobile" or "T-Mobile"), an "Activation required" message, and receive the same activation error via iTunes I wrote above. (If I activate over Wi-Fi, I receive the same error, too.) Also, oddly I don't see any US T-Mobile bundle under /System/Library/Carrier Bundles/iPhone, just a bunch of foreign T-Mobile bundles. And, the Unknown.bundle folder contains a whole bunch of T-Mobile files in there and the plist file under Unknown.bundle also contains multiple occurences of the string "T-Mobile".

I observed that the international SIM also defaults to the Unknown.bundle folder. At this point I am confused. If the SimpleMobile SIM defaults to Unknown.bundle the same as the international SIM, why do I have to disable the CDMA antenna at all? It seems to me iTunes is transmitting the ICC ID to Apple to decide whether or not to activate the SIM on this phone, so it wouldn't matter what bundle is in use. I know the Gevey SIM is reported to work on a Verizon 4s under iOS 5.1.1, so my logic must be faulty. I'm thinking either Unknown.bundle is somehow identifying my SimpleMobile SIM as a domestic SIM, or the international SIM doesn't really "work", I just have that illusion right now because that SIM gives "No Service", that somehow because the SimpleMobile SIM connects (although I just see one bar), the phone won't activate. I'm thinking the latter because when I insert the international SIM, the phone just reads "No service" and continues working. It doesn't ask me to activate via iTunes or anything.

More than anything, I hope this helps someone. Thanks everyone for your time, especially WhiteSpir1t.

Edit: Maybe I should also add that this phone has never been set-up, registered, backed up, or restored with iTunes. I have just used iTunes to "unlock" and try to activate SIMs.

anontemp123 you have read my post and performed everything as should be. There may be an MCC/MNC restriction somewhere in that phone.

As per the instructions I had followed a while back and posted here, it did also state that a Gevey sim imposer is not needed once the phone is unlocked by Verizon as long as those files were relocated.

Not sure if this will work for you, but I will look for my modified carrier setting bundles done for tmobile and send them if you want to try them. PM me your email.

Posted via BlackBerry Z10 <-----like the last fart--the last desperate fart of a dying corpse

WhiteSpir1t

May 26, 2013
Visit site
the 2G limitation is separate from this. In any case the lowest common denominator of all connection speeds is 3G. Some or if newer, but not all iPhone 5/5S are 4G LTE depending provider and phone. Due diligence!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal