Auto-Brightness bug in iOS 6.1.3

mglivesey

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
Since updating my iPhone 4S to 6.1.3 my Auto-Brightness no longer works properly.

I normally set it by going into a dark room (or putting my finger over the ambient light sensor), adjusting the brightness, then turning it on. Usually it adjusts to my environment perfectly, but since updating it no longer does.

I can hold the phone with the sensor directly under a very bright light, & the brightness bar doesn't move across like it normally does. If I'm outside, I can manually increase the brightness but if I lock the phone & put it in my pocket, when I take it out it's back down to the darkest setting & doesn't re-adjust automatically.

This issue, plus my battery life disappearing before my very eyes has me really hoping that Apple releases 6.1.4 with a bug fix VERY soon.

Has anyone else had this problem?

KaterinaM

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
I have not heard about this problem as an "official" one, the problem that lots of people are facing. May be there is an issue with your software. Have you tried to restore the settings and reupdate it?

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I read something about this on iMore. However, I haven't had this problem. Did you try a reset and re-adjust the brightness setting?

Chase Isley

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I haven't seen much on this issue yet. Give Apple a call and see if they have any fix for it yet. I'll keep my eyes open as well.

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Auto brightness doesn't work for me. Battery is terrible, also. Worst update ice ever installed. My phone is drained by 1 or 2 in the afternoon. Was lasting till 6 or 7 at night on .1

Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5

mglivesey

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
Update: So I did a hard reset which has fixed the Auto-Brightness problem, but my battery life is as bad as ever.

I also tried turning off my mail & iCloud settings, hard resetting, then turning them all back on as someone suggested in Apple Support Communities but that hasn't fixed the problem at all :(

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
No brightness issue but battery def got worse

Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !

abaggy

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
I also have the brightness problem on my 4S. By hard reset do you folks mean resetting my phone back to factory settings then restoring from iCloud?

mglivesey

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
I also have the brightness problem on my 4S. By hard reset do you folks mean resetting my phone back to factory settings then restoring from iCloud?

A hard reset is when you clear all apps from the multitasking bar, then press & hold the power & home buttons simultaneously until the Apple logo appears, & the device switches off.

mglivesey

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
This is my usage this morning (checked Facebook, Flipboard & iMore Forums), after charging from dead flat to 100% over night!!!
ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1364425044.527810.jpg

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I've never been so mad after updating until 6.1.3 came out! My battery life is horrid I can only usually get 2-3 hours usage.

I recommend that you connect your device to your computer, initiate its iTunes app and restore your device as new. Do not restore from a backup.