6.1.3 crippling my battery

RevJar

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
So I did the OTA upgrade yesterday for my iPhone 5 to 6.1.3. Everything went good but by the time I went to bed with moderate use, my battery was at 5%. So far, it's been unplugged for 1 hr, 21 min and the battery is down to 77% with very minimal use. Suggestions on how to make this better? Reboot? Restore? At this point, I'll make it to lunch with 50% and not done anything.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
So I did the OTA upgrade yesterday for my iPhone 5 to 6.1.3. Everything went good but by the time I went to bed with moderate use, my battery was at 5%. So far, it's been unplugged for 1 hr, 21 min and the battery is down to 77% with very minimal use. Suggestions on how to make this better? Reboot? Restore? At this point, I'll make it to lunch with 50% and not done anything.

Restore as new via iTunes.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Restore as new via iTunes.

Now for some reason I have got great battery life. Oh! wait a minute I did not update because the 2 bug fixes as I posted in the Sticky does not phase me. No need for me to update until there is a real reason to and my battery life on 6.1.2 is just fine.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Now for some reason I have got great battery life. Oh! wait a minute I did not update because the 2 bug fixes as I posted in the Sticky does not phase me. No need for me to update until there is a real reason to and my battery life on 6.1.2 is just fine.

If there's an update to the operating system, I'm updating, but I'm one of the people who haven't had any issues with battery life.

Tanbam

Feb 11, 2012
Visit site

Anyone who does the OTA update is asking for trouble. Nothing is better for an OS than partial, diff updates, especially when the OS is set up like this one with lots of randomization.

If you want to upgrade your phone, do it the right way and use iTunes to perform a complete update. Even better if you set it up as new and don't restore any of your old OS's leftovers.

Of course, if keeping a history of all of your text messages is worth more than having a battery that lasts more than a couple of hours, then just keep doing what you're doing...

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
I was holding out on 6.1.1 because I had amazing battery life, better than any phone I had before. I finally made the update, and my battery has gone to crap. Been up and using for 2 hours, I'm at 82%. In the same situation before the upgrade, I'd be no less than 90%.

Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5

hydrogen3

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Anyone who does the OTA update is asking for trouble. Nothing is better for an OS than partial, diff updates, especially when the OS is set up like this one with lots of randomization.

If you want to upgrade your phone, do it the right way and use iTunes to perform a complete update. Even better if you set it up as new and don't restore any of your old OS's leftovers.

Of course, if keeping a history of all of your text messages is worth more than having a battery that lasts more than a couple of hours, then just keep doing what you're doing...

Why is a OTA update asking for trouble?

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Why is a OTA update asking for trouble?

Realistically, it's not. There are some here who believe any update should be a full and clean install. That's simply their opinion. OTA updates are safe, easy, and rarely cause issues.

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I'll be updating to iOS 6.1.3 later today. I always update OTA and have never had a problem. Battery life is good too.

john_v

Apr 20, 2010
www.vinniesphotos.blogspot.com
This might sound really dumb, but did anyone having faster battery drain think to check the screen brightness setting? I just updated this afternoon, and noticed that it set my screen brightness to max and turned the auto sensor off. I know for a fact I had it set to half brightness with the auto sensor on.

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
This might sound really dumb, but did anyone having faster battery drain think to check the screen brightness setting? I just updated this afternoon, and noticed that it set my screen brightness to max and turned the auto sensor off. I know for a fact I had it set to half brightness with the auto sensor on.

Nope. That's not it. Brightness is just as low as always. I really don't know what the issue is.

projectman

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site

I experienced the same thing. But for me, the first impression was unbelievable long-lasting battery life as I went for about 2 hrs with it at 100%. Kinda figured there was a problem on that one. But later it began to go down and then it went down really fast. I then took a look at my brightness settings and found them to be nearly pegged out. I have seen that happen on other updates as well. After resetting the brightness I think it is safe to say I am experiencing improved battery life. But that could be my imagination. Time will tell...or something like that.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
It's only been a few days yet so I don't want to say anything definitive about battery life, it takes at least a few days to a week for battery life to settle and it will suffer after updating the OS, but I am noticing lesser battery life as of now. I'll post a more accurate and true comment on it next week after the OS has really settled.

Blazin' tappity tap tap 2 you!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW