Just about to purchase Apple TV?

1982ollie

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
Am I right in thinking that you can mirror what ever is on your iDevice to the Apple TV. It's not just certain apps is it? For example if I wanted to see my home screen and springboard layout through the Apple TV, will that work?

The reason I ask is because I have XBMC in both my iDevices. XBMC being some of the Apple TV jailbreak software. Then rather than spending 200 pounds on an Apple TV 2, I can just purchase an Apple TV 3 for 80 pounds new and then mirror.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
I don't think the ATV3 can be jailbroken yet if that's what you want. Either way, mirroring doesn't usually show your springboard; it's more for photos, videos, games, etc. once you stop playing media the mirroring will stop.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Display mirroring is exactly that... whatever you do on your iPhone or iPad shows up on the TV when you activate it with a double-tap of the home button, and swiping over to the volume control that also contains the AirPlay button...select that, then select the AppleTV, and mirror - you'll then see everything you do on the iPad or iPhone on the TV...

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Display mirroring is exactly that... whatever you do on your iPhone or iPad shows up on the TV when you activate it with a double-tap of the home button, and swiping over to the volume control that also contains the AirPlay button...select that, then select the AppleTV, and mirror - you'll then see everything you do on the iPad or iPhone on the TV...

Is that true? I haven't played around it with it much, but I thought AirPlay and mirroring were two similar but different things--for example when I connect with my Mac I see basically everything I'm doing onscreen mirrored to my TV. But if I'm using my iPhone to AirPlay photos from my Camera Roll, I think it only displays the photos--for example, if I go back into my Camera Roll to pick a different photo to show, the ATV doesn't show me going into Camera Roll on the TV screen. I'd have to mess around with it more to double check but I believe that's how it is.

EDIT: I see now that Mirroring is an option instead of a separate process: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5209

HT5209_03---en.png

Last edited:

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, it's true... Doing it right now... my iPad is mirrored to my AppleTV with iHeartRadio playing because iHeart doesn't support airplay on its own... and using display mirror - my iPad's photo slideshow is running over top of iHeart.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
It's actually nice that Mirroring is optional—I can AirPlay photos without showing everyone my Camera Roll...not that I have anything to hide or anything.

OR DO I??
(Namely, my screenshot habit.)

image.jpg

1982ollie

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
Thanks guys for all the posts. I get from this that I can do what I'm trying to achieve.

Also I'm perfectly aware you can't jailbreak the ATV 3. Would be nice if the jailbreak team would turn some attention to it. I'm sure they will in time. :)

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Also I'm perfectly aware you can't jailbreak the ATV 3. Would be nice if the jailbreak team would turn some attention to it. I'm sure they will in time. :)
Not likely as the AppleTV got an iOS update today too... fixing something about running unsigned code...

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner