Restore from backup AFTER restoring as new??

teach1love

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I am on 4s running 6.1 with most recent JB. I have been having intermittent crashes and cant locate what the problem is. I was thinking of backing up, restoring as new and then restoring from back up. 1) will I be able to restore all of my data this way? 2) what will I lose by initially restoring as new? and 3) will this help resolve the problem of intermittent crashes? BTW, both times I restored, I did it in DFU mode... Any other suggestions are welcome! Thanks in advance...

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
I am on 4s running 6.1 with most recent JB. I have been having intermittent crashes and cant locate what the problem is. I was thinking of backing up, restoring as new and then restoring from back up. 1) will I be able to restore all of my data this way? 2) what will I lose by initially restoring as new? and 3) will this help resolve the problem of intermittent crashes? BTW, both times I restored, I did it in DFU mode... Any other suggestions are welcome! Thanks in advance...

If you think there's an issue there's no point in restoring from a backup--you'll just be putting it all back.

Rockdog97

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site

You can try and download a Cydia app called "Crash Reporter." It shows a log of crashes and perhaps in viewing the log you can find which app is causing the intermittent crashes.

ups925

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
some cydia tweaks arent compatible with ios6. I ran into more than a few issues with tweaks I use on my ipod. Math alarm, weather icon, gridlock, etc dont work on ios6 yet. Torch worked at first for me, but then the update made my phone boot in safe mode. If your installing tweaks one at a time, it makes it easier to find what is incompatible. In the description of your installed packages, it should show what its compatible for, and you may also check the changelog. If its from 2009, it may not be compatible :p

As for backup and restore, if you do it through icloud it will not backup cydia stuff. So by doing that, it will backup your official items and when you restore it should just go back to a stock iphone. I had to do that with my ipod touch when updating the firmware from os 4 jailbreakme.com to a os5 redsnow one. After my phone was restored, all my official apps and settings were still on there. What I lost was all my cydia stuff. You can just take screenshots of all your cydia tweaks-- remember to install and then try one at a time so you can locate ones with issues. I believe you can also log into cydia and have it save your downloaded items for exactly what your trying to do.

Rockdog97

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
some cydia tweaks arent compatible with ios6. I ran into more than a few issues with tweaks I use on my ipod. Math alarm, weather icon, gridlock, etc dont work on ios6 yet. Torch worked at first for me, but then the update made my phone boot in safe mode. If your installing tweaks one at a time, it makes it easier to find what is incompatible. In the description of your installed packages, it should show what its compatible for, and you may also check the changelog. If its from 2009, it may not be compatible :p

As for backup and restore, if you do it through icloud it will not backup cydia stuff. So by doing that, it will backup your official items and when you restore it should just go back to a stock iphone. I had to do that with my ipod touch when updating the firmware from os 4 jailbreakme.com to a os5 redsnow one. After my phone was restored, all my official apps and settings were still on there. What I lost was all my cydia stuff. You can just take screenshots of all your cydia tweaks-- remember to install and then try one at a time so you can locate ones with issues. I believe you can also log into cydia and have it save your downloaded items for exactly what your trying to do.

I believe Cydia only backs up 'paid' apps.. all else you have to manually load again. I did what you suggested as well and take screen shots of each of the Cydia packages.

teach1love

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I downloaded crash reporter and deleted one of the apps listed (camera awesome). So far so good. If I do a restore as new (as opposed to just a regular restore, wont that wipe out any JB code that may be creating a conflict? Is that the best way to determine if it is an App Store app as opposed to some JB thing? And yes, I have taken screen shots of all my JB stuff; great idea!