Jailbroken IPhone 3GS help. Aka the bane of my life

12three45

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Hello!

I was wondering if any of you lovely people could help me...

I bought a second hand iPhone 3GS about 6 months ago and it was jail broken when I got it. The other day I went to update the software but my iPhone got stuck in reboot loop so I managed to put it in DFU to reset it. However...my phone wouldn't activate itself, even when it was connected to iTunes so I took it to an Apple man to fix it for me. He told me that he could fix it, but I wouldn't be able to update the software past 4.1. I just said it was fine because it didn't occur to me that this would mean I can't get any apps because they all need updated software versions.

So what I'm asking is...is there anyway I can get any apps (particularly whatsapp) without updating the software? I'm not that technologically advanced so I don't know if I'm asking the impossible... But any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance :)

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Hello!

I bought a second hand iPhone 3GS about 6 months ago and it was jail broken when I got it. The other day I went to update the software but my iPhone got stuck in reboot loop so I managed to put it in DFU to reset it. However...my phone wouldn't activate itself, even when it was connected to iTunes so I took it to an Apple man to fix it for me. He told me that he could fix it, but I wouldn't be able to update the software past 4.1. I just said it was fine because it didn't occur to me that this would mean I can't get any apps because they all need updated software versions.

So what I'm asking is...is there anyway I can get any apps (particularly whatsapp) without updating the software? I'm not that technologically advanced so I don't know if I'm asking the impossible... But any advice would be very much appreciated.

no
restore your phone as new and pay for a carrier unlock
that way you can have the best of everything, the newest os, all the apps, a jailbreak, and an unlock and never have to worry about the crazy details that cover software unlocks

ok so what i said wasnt true... you could try and open up ifile and find the plist that contains your system information and where it says software version 4.1.1 you can edit that to 6.1
all apps will think that your phone is running 6.1 and you wont have trouble downloading... however installation and use might become major issues.
also you might screw up your phone and have to restore. so .. ya know, weigh the risks, ask around. im sure that you will find that my original advice is pretty much universally accepted and recommended

iDonev

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Hello!

I'd go with an IMEI unlock as well. It could range anywhere from $5 to $150 depending on the original carrier. If the price in your case is too much, there is a way to update and get a software unlock, but the process is somewhat involved and time consuming. It's up to you.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods