Official 6.1 Jailbreaking Tool Announced, Will Be Called Evasi0n

lomenciad

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
So what's the point of jail breaking, I still don't understand. From what I see from other posts, it seems like this is why they jail break, this is just my opinion.

The point of jail breaking, is to be able to make tweaks to the phone that Apple doesn't allow you to do while stock. That list is too long to go into. Just Google it. Getting paid apps for free after a developer has spent so much time on them is a bit inconsiderate.

Laelipoo

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
So what's the point of jail breaking, I still don't understand. From what I see from other posts, it seems like this is why they jail break, this is just my opinion.

I jailbreak because I like to customize my devices. I add themes, functionality, experimental ideas, helpful tweaks that make my daily tasks easier. Not to pirate apps, that is not ok.

iPhone 5 ✲ iPad 3 WiFi ✲ Macbook Pro running Lion 10.8.2 ✲ Xbox 360 ✲ Nintendo 3DS ✲ PS3

Beamed from a galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk!

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
The point of jail breaking, is to be able to make tweaks to the phone that Apple doesn't allow you to do while stock. That list is too long to go into. Just Google it. Getting paid apps for free after a developer has spent so much time on them is a bit inconsiderate.

It's an interesting topic. I've never had a jailbroken phone before but after having a 'rooted' Android phone, I can see the appeal, hence me tearing my hair out in the other thread on here, getting my iPhone 5 ready to be jailbroken when Evasi0n arrives.

I was always told, and this goes back to the dawn of the iPhone i'll admit, that being jailbroken opens the phone up to malicious external hacking due to a root password that is usually locked down now becoming open for an external third party to exploit. Now of course, I haven't got a clue if this is truth or just complete rubbish but security is definitely the number one reason I have held off jailbreaking so far.

I was also told (again probably by a source that had no real knowledge himself) that as the apps exclusively available to a jailbroken iPhone were not stringently tested by Apple to make sure there were no exploits, hacks or other dodgy code that would exploit any weaknesses in the phone, that you would be taking pot luck when you installed a third-party app to a jailbroken phone.

I'm unbothered about the argument regarding getting paid for apps for free by being jailbroken as I have no qualms about paying for an app I want.

On an Android phone, it is recommended that you install a virus checker and firewall, especially to a 'rooted' phone. Is that the case for an iPhone too please?

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
i was just thinking how iPhone 5 users might not want to get too excited yet due to the fact that jailbreak devs will still need to optimize their apps/tweaks correctly. if true it could be a little while longer to get your favorite tweak on your jailbroken iPhone 5

am i wrong??

talkin73

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
i was just thinking how iPhone 5 users might not want to get too excited yet due to the fact that jailbreak devs will still need to optimize their apps/tweaks correctly. if true it could be a little while longer to get your favorite tweak on your jailbroken iPhone 5

am i wrong??

In addition to that issue is that I can't recall an initial jailbreak tool that did not have issues. Generally several iterations of release candidate x, y and z before the final and stable tool is established. I definitely won't be using v1 of whatever is releases. Just don't want to spend the time redoing it after they discover and iron out the kinks.

iDonev

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site

am i wrong??

"Am I wrong?" Kinda :D

No offense! it really comes to the devs and their dedication. As far as I know jailbreak devs already have the untethered jailbreak and are (should be) testing their apps to make sure they're compatible. In the mean time evad3rs are working on a tool usable by humans (i.e. us).

I was always told, and this goes back to the dawn of the iPhone i'll admit, that being jailbroken opens the phone up to malicious external hacking due to a root password that is usually locked down now becoming open for an external third party to exploit. Now of course, I haven't got a clue if this is truth or just complete rubbish but security is definitely the number one reason I have held off jailbreaking so far.

Once jailbroken the phone is exactly as secure as it was before. After that it all depends on what you decide to install that could lower your security. That's why we highly recommend you research your apps before installing them (and if you can't find any good info ask here :) ).

As far as root passwords go, that will only affect you if you have the tweak OpenSSH on your device which allows remote viewing of the file system of the device. Note that this tweak doesn't come "out of the box" with a jailbreak. Once installed you automatically get "root" for name and "alpine" for password. A security hole to be sure, but a simple command in Mobile Terminal will allow you to change the password to anything you like.

I was also told (again probably by a source that had no real knowledge himself) that as the apps exclusively available to a jailbroken iPhone were not stringently tested by Apple to make sure there were no exploits, hacks or other dodgy code that would exploit any weaknesses in the phone, that you would be taking pot luck when you installed a third-party app to a jailbroken phone.

Here you're correct. None of the jailbreak tweaks are tested by Apple. If fact jailbreaking has no real connection to Apple apart from being run on their devices (and arguably Apple choosing the best tweaks and implementing them in the next iOS iteration).
As far as vulnerabilities go, there are different servers (repositories) that carry tweaks. There's a thread in the stickies on this forum that lists the most reputable repositories. But don't worry - once you jailbreak, the most used repo's will be automatically added, so you'll be good to go!

On an Android phone, it is recommended that you install a virus checker and firewall, especially to a 'rooted' phone. Is that the case for an iPhone too please?

That's Android. On iOS we don't do these things. :)

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Great stuff, thanks iDonev. So basically, as long as I don't install OpenSSH, which I have no plans to doing as I don't intend on using my phone for telnet/FTP etc, then security is not an issue. I've been looking through the Repositories on here and paying particular interest to the 'favourite JB apps' thread as I reckon the most favoured apps are the ones that are least likely to be exploited as someone would have found the hack before now (providing I get the apps from recommended repositories naturally).

I'm perhaps one of those people that does maybe a little too much research and evaluation before delving into anything, hence asking all the damn fool questions over the last few months. My greatest strength and my biggest flaw all rolled in one.

iDonev

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Great stuff, thanks iDonev. So basically, as long as I don't install OpenSSH, which I have no plans to doing as I don't intend on using my phone for telnet/FTP etc, then security is not an issue. I've been looking through the Repositories on here and paying particular interest to the 'favourite JB apps' thread as I reckon the most favoured apps are the ones that are least likely to be exploited as someone would have found the hack before now (providing I get the apps from recommended repositories naturally).

I'm perhaps one of those people that does maybe a little too much research and evaluation before delving into anything, hence asking all the damn fool questions over the last few months. My greatest strength and my biggest flaw all rolled in one.

You know what they say: better safe than sorry :)

In any case those aren't foolish questions - we've all asked them at one point or another.
As far as repositories/popular apps go you've got it right. In fact the majority of trusted repositories test each and every tweak themselves, so you can be sure that new tweak won't set your phone on fire :D

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Yes I've used my sisters USA account but I tried using my bank account from here. It's inconvenient to use her credit card information and make her pay for it. My point is, will jail breaking help me able download apps from USA store even though I'm overseas. Isn't jail breaking , getting free apps the whole point of it?

you don't need a creditcard get a $10 itunes card and make an account. As to the reason to JB search there are tons of threads devoted to the reasons to JB.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
i highly doubt every JB dev out there is beta testing evasi0n. plus last i read the JB was still in the works of getting bugs resolved. bottom line there WILL be a wait on more than a few re: the updating of OS alone. especially for the Devs that have no incentive to do so

for example, on of my favorite tweaks of all time is RemindMeLater. that particular dev decided (last i checked) to not even update to work on 5.x.x. i even had conversations with him about it and he said it wasn't worth his time anymore. sad
i just have a funny feeling that it's not going to be this glorious day once the JB is released when there will be work to be done out if our control. hopefully i am wrong.

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
i highly doubt every JB dev out there is beta testing evasi0n. plus last i read the JB was still in the works of getting bugs resolved. bottom line there WILL be a wait on more than a few re: the updating of OS alone. especially for the Devs that have no incentive to do so

for example, on of my favorite tweaks of all time is RemindMeLater. that particular dev decided (last i checked) to not even update to work on 5.x.x. i even had conversations with him about it and he said it wasn't worth his time anymore. sad
i just have a funny feeling that it's not going to be this glorious day once the JB is released when there will be work to be done out if our control. hopefully i am wrong.

I think you've hit the nail on the head there. Dev cycles usually have lag in them when it comes to third party take up anyway. Pretty much everything I have been involved with has suffered in exactly this way and I don't see this forthcoming JB to be any different.

Whilst it's true that some devs may already have a beta of the JB in order to get their apps up and running in readiness for the launch, by no means will all of them.

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
As far as vulnerabilities go, there are different servers (repositories) that carry tweaks. There's a thread in the stickies on this forum that lists the most reputable repositories. But don't worry - once you jailbreak, the most used repo's will be automatically added, so you'll be good to go!

Windows is the most used desktop OS, and is therefor the most hacked. My point being, the question was about security, not popularity of the repositories. Do the various repository admins do any checking to at least attempt to ensure that the JB apps/tweaks distributed through them are safe? Most of what I've looked at via Cydia is at BigBoss.

iDonev

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Windows is the most used desktop OS, and is therefor the most hacked. My point being, the question was about security, not popularity of the repositories. Do the various repository admins do any checking to at least attempt to ensure that the JB apps/tweaks distributed through them are safe? Most of what I've looked at via Cydia is at BigBoss.

I can't claim any concise knowledge of these matters as I've never gone through an approval process with BigBoss. But considering that they offer plenty of paid tweaks, one expects them to be held to the highest standard. At least in my experience never have I encountered a malicious tweak on their repo, or one that's paid and doesn't deliver.

Laelipoo

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I think that in order to be approved, the tweaks are verified and tested.

By the way we're now at 75% on the jailbreak.

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
I can't claim any concise knowledge of these matters as I've never gone through an approval process with BigBoss. But considering that they offer plenty of paid tweaks, one expects them to be held to the highest standard. At least in my experience never have I encountered a malicious tweak on their repo, or one that's paid and doesn't deliver.

Me neither, and all of the items I've downloaded from Cydia have come recommended by users here on iMore. I just wanted to try to make sure that if/when I do download something without advice from others, that I'm at least reasonably safe doing so.

iDonev

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Me neither, and all of the items I've downloaded from Cydia have come recommended by users here on iMore. I just wanted to try to make sure that if/when I do download something without advice from others, that I'm at least reasonably safe doing so.

As long as you stick to reputable repos you have little to worry about. One month I was bored out of my mind and started going through the different categories and tried tweaks that caught my interest. Sure, by the end my phone became somewhat unstable due to old hardware, tweak incompatibilities and several with sloppy coding, but I didn't experience anything really scary, dangerous or unexpected. Bottom line is: none of BigBoss' tweaks will harm your phone.

iDonev

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Jailbreak service announcement:

I know when the hour hits many people would go to evad3rs' site to download the tool without reading through the whole thing. So I thought I'd bring something to everyone's attention:
image.jpg

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Once jailbroken the phone is exactly as secure as it was before. After that it all depends on what you decide to install that could lower your security. That's why we highly recommend you research your apps before installing them (and if you can't find any good info ask here :) ).

That's not ENTIRELY true. Jail breaking does remove some security measures. If it didn't, you wouldn't be able to install the jailbreak apps.

But, it shouldn't be a concern. In the past, the jailbreak community has offered patches to security holes in iOS before apple pushed an update.