Is it time to jailbreak?

salscott

Mar 4, 2009
Visit site
I've had an iphone for 3+ years, and despite liking the idea of jail breaking to customize....that isn't enough to make the jump.
What is driving me bat$&@% crazy are telemarketing calls. Rachel from card member services is my mortal enemy.
Question- is there an app/program for jailbreak that allows me to call block? Does it work for you if there is? If so, how should I jailbreak?
Ugh...

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
I've had an iphone for 3+ years, and despite liking the idea of jail breaking to customize....that isn't enough to make the jump.
What is driving me bat$&@% crazy are telemarketing calls. Rachel from card member services is my mortal enemy.
Question- is there an app/program for jailbreak that allows me to call block? Does it work for you if there is? If so, how should I jailbreak?
Ugh...

I can honestly say that in all the years I've owned an iphone I've not had a single telemarketing call. For some reason I always thought that cell numbers were off limits, but I guess not?

At any rate, not sure about a call-blocking app per se, but if you have a Google Voice number you might consider giving that out instead when companies require a number. Then you'll be able to deal with those calls however you'd like (block/voicemail, etc).

And if you're not on the Do Not Call list, sign up now: http://www.fcc.gov/encyclopedia/do-not-call-list

salscott

Mar 4, 2009
Visit site
I can honestly say that in all the years I've owned an iphone I've not had a single telemarketing call. For some reason I always thought that cell numbers were off limits, but I guess not?

At any rate, not sure about a call-blocking app per se, but if you have a Google Voice number you might consider giving that out instead when companies require a number. Then you'll be able to deal with those calls however you'd like (block/voicemail, etc).

And if you're not on the Do Not Call list, sign up now: http://www.fcc.gov/encyclopedia/do-not-call-list

I am on the Dnd list...you are lucky

rdiddy_25

Sep 20, 2009
Visit site
Just tell the caller they are calling ur cell phone and not to call again and they have to remove ur number. It's law! Otherwise, I agree with 3cit, iBlacklist works like a champ.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Does iBlacklist work well with big corporations as well as individuals? I always wondered if big 1-800 numbers had giant phone banks with different numbers they could use.

salscott

Mar 4, 2009
Visit site
Just tell the caller they are calling ur cell phone and not to call again and they have to remove ur number. It's law! Otherwise, I agree with 3cit, iBlacklist works like a champ.

I promise you I have threatened, cussed, befriended, scared, amused and talked about the law. No relief.

salscott

Mar 4, 2009
Visit site
do you owe money to rachel at card member services??
and who did you give your cell phone number too?

#justsayin

Hardly....it is a company that is trying to extend more credit to card owners who actually pay their bills.
#nationaldonotcalllistblows

salscott

Mar 4, 2009
Visit site
I get a dozen or so a week....largely card member services (you can google Rachel at card member services and see that this is widespread and I'm on some timeshare list). What a joke the dnc list is. Att is no help.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I used to jailbreak and the primary reason was iBlacklist... but in the interim when jailbreak was not an option on 5.x & then 6.x - I developed a work-around that works for me... I put an entry in my Contacts app named "Ima Dumbass" - and any number that calls me that is telemarketing in nature gets added under "Ima" - and in the Contacts app - I assigned "Ima" with her own ringtone... Silent. And no vibrate... so when "Ima" calls, there's no intrusion - just the screen lighting up... and the entry in 'recents', and maybe a voicemail to delete without listening to... Not a perfect solution, but it works for me.

Also available depending on your service provider... blocked call lists... Verizon lets you keep a list of five numbers that are blocked for 90 days at a time for free... I use that too... or I could pay for a feature to block up to 20 numbers permanently...

salscott

Mar 4, 2009
Visit site
I used to jailbreak and the primary reason was iBlacklist... but in the interim when jailbreak was not an option on 5.x & then 6.x - I developed a work-around that works for me... I put an entry in my Contacts app named "Ima Dumbass" - and any number that calls me that is telemarketing in nature gets added under "Ima" - and in the Contacts app - I assigned "Ima" with her own ringtone... Silent. And no vibrate... so when "Ima" calls, there's no intrusion - just the screen lighting up... and the entry in 'recents', and maybe a voicemail to delete without listening to... Not a perfect solution, but it works for me.

Also available depending on your service provider... blocked call lists... Verizon lets you keep a list of five numbers that are blocked for 90 days at a time for free... I use that too... or I could pay for a feature to block up to 20 numbers permanently...

I love it....and this one company (card member services) uses a bunch of different numbers. Att has a service, but in their wisdom you have to go to their website and add and you are limited to 20 or so numbers. Thanks

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I love it....and this one company (card member services) uses a bunch of different numbers. Att has a service, but in their wisdom you have to go to their website and add and you are limited to 20 or so numbers. Thanks

Well - 'Ima' in my contacts app has a lot of numbers... well over 100...

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro