Need advice about jailbreaking an iPhone4s from Japan

burstroc

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Hi everyone,

Just recently moved back to the U.S. from Japan, and want to unlock an iPhone 4s I purchased through Japanese carrier AU KDDI so I can use it here. I was completely paid up with AU when I left Japan and asked them if they could unlock it, but they told me they don't offer that service and I could do it myself as all the necessary information is on the internet. I have tried searching but the services which seem reputable all specialize in unlocking US-locked phones and the only ones I have been able to turn up which say they can unlock KDDI phones look sketchy or have turned out to have reputations as scammers upon further investigation. Anybody have any good advice on a service that can unlock this phone for me? Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Mis-typed the thread heading in my haste: I do NOT want to jailbreak the phone if I can avoid doing so - would prefer a legitimate unlock.

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Bring it to apple.
The Japanese carrier people lied to you, as they have the tools being the service provider.
What service provider are you planning on getting stateside? Because you are going to need a new contract presumably, so you could just sell your 4s on eBay and use the funds to facilitate your new subsidized phone...

iRy757

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Actually your IPhone 4S is considered customer provided equipment, meaning it would go on the same exact rate plan as contract service however instead of a 2 year contract you will be on month to month. Granted you will not get a shiny new phone at discounted price or 20 month upgrades.

burstroc

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
My mother has a Verizon family plan so I'm planning to join that.

As for the Japanese carrier, I'm sure they *can* unlock the phone, but they won't do it. Seems to be standard operating procedure for cell companies there not to do it.

I will try contacting Apple. Thanks for the help.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Is AU KDDI a GSM provider? If so - The 4S model phone you have would not be able to be put on Verizon's service as Verizon will only activate phones that were OEM manufactured for Verizon network use as Verizon's network for the iPhone4S is CDMA.

burstroc

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
AU KDDI uses CDMA. But I have heard conflicting things about the possibility of unlocking a CDMA phone. According to Apple Verizon should be able to do it.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
AU KDDI uses CDMA. But I have heard conflicting things about the possibility of unlocking a CDMA phone. According to Apple Verizon should be able to do it.

On iPhone4S CDMA phones, the sim slot is not used... Verizon will not activate a CDMA model phone that was not OEM delivered to them for use on Verizon's network. There's nothing to "unlock".

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
On iPhone4S CDMA phones, the sim slot is not used... Verizon will not activate a CDMA model phone that was not OEM delivered to them for use on Verizon's network. There's nothing to "unlock".

I thought this was a "U.S. only" restriction.
Either way, op should sell phone, and get new Verizon phone. A 4s still goes for 3-4 hundred right?
Or ask Verizon first to unlock...

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I thought this was a "U.S. only" restriction.
Either way, op should sell phone, and get new Verizon phone. A 4s still goes for 3-4 hundred right?
Or ask Verizon first to unlock...

The Verizon iPhone4S can be unlocked for use on international GSM providers... the OP has a CDMA iPhone on a Japanese provider. Verizon will not make that phone work on their network - the status of the phone's sim slot - locked or not - isn't really relevant, unless the Japanese carrier will unlock the GSM sim, which would theoretically make the phone useable on a US-based GSM provider (as in not Verizon)...

If the OP is military - they might be able to find someone in the military that has a Verizon iPhone4S who is about to PCS to Japan and maybe swap phones with them, or sell the Japanese one and get a Verizon phone.

burstroc

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the help. I called Verizon today and the operator there said that an unlocked phone could theoretically be used with a Verizon sim card, but that they can't do it and can't tell me how to do it.

If the OP is military - they might be able to find someone in the military that has a Verizon iPhone4S who is about to PCS to Japan and maybe swap phones with them, or sell the Japanese one and get a Verizon phone.

I like this idea. I may just buy a new iPhone and put this one up on eBay; it's 32 GB and still in good shape so presumably somebody going to Japan could use it.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the help. I called Verizon today and the operator there said that an unlocked phone could theoretically be used with a Verizon sim card, but that they can't do it and can't tell me how to do it.
The only good that would be is it would allow that Japanese iPhone to be used overseas on GSM systems that would see the Verizon sim as a roaming device... (aka not worth doing...)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2