Starbucks App, Passbook, and gift cards

Gary86

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
I've recently started going to Starbucks more and using Passbook because it is really convenient. I have a Starbucks card on the phone and when I use it I get stars for each purchase. I was just given a $50 gift card and curious...if I add this card to the Starbucks app/Passbook, will it still give me the reward stars? I guess I would add it under the "my cards" section.

Thanks everyone.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355110343.403385.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355110356.770621.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bazza1

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
The greater question (and its not just for Starbucks) is, if you have the Company app already on your phone, why also have it in Passbook?

Its the case with a number of products that the Passbook supports - in order to get it in there, you have to (at least initially) install the individual Company app on the iDevice - essentially doubling-up info, while maybe offering you less control (and info) than the original app.

I 'get' that Passbook is meant to act as one-location storage for various loyalty cards, coupons and passes, but if its simply copying info from other apps - and still not acting as a virtual wallet - it kinda ranks up there with Newsstand, Siri and Apple Maps as a 'why bother?' app for me - and, like those others, I question why are they embedded in the iOS to begin with.

Last edited:

Jemjee

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
For me, the main benefit for having my Starbucks card in passbook is that when I get to Starbucks my phone knows it and the Starbucks alert shows up on my lock screen. Then I can just swipe the alert and use the card.

Bazza1

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
For me, the main benefit for having my Starbucks card in passbook is that when I get to Starbucks my phone knows it and the Starbucks alert shows up on my lock screen. Then I can just swipe the alert and use the card.

Really sounds like it would be useful, but really, after swiping to unlock at your destination, how much additional hassle is it to then click your Starbucks icon?

Besides, I've found (and this may be a direct result of the sub-par Apple Maps) that when I tried Passbook with Starbucks, I'd get within a block or two and the stupid pop-up would appear. Particularly problematic if, like me, you have several Starbucks in your immediate vicinity. Now, sheer numbers of stores may not be an issue with another retailer (or, say, airline check-in), but if its popping up every time you're anywhere near, that's gonna old real fast.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
It is not a problem for me to download an app like Walgreen's and then transfer the rewards card over to the Passbook app and then delete the Walgreen's app afterwards. It is no different than people installing 3rd party weather, browser, reminder, mail, texting, voice navigation & camera apps when similar apps come pre-installed on the device, in my opinion. Simply put, but respectfully, it is my device, my time and my preference and that about sums it up....;)

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
You have to keep the company app with places like Starbucks. You can't refill your account with the Passbook app. I read in another thread that if you uninstall the main app, then add it back to top it off, the correct amount won't show up in Passbook.

Personally, even though I've added my favorite StarBucks in mine, it has yet to appear in my lock screen. Still waiting.

Gary86

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
You'll have two separate cards but the stars should be tied to your Starbucks account not the card.

If you want on the Starbucks website you can merge cards together.

Thanks for the info. In regards to refilling the card...I've been able to recharge it and the correct amount shows up. Might just have to refresh the card in passbook. Hit the little "I" in lower right corner then pull to refresh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

duncaterro

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
it and the Starbucks alert shows up on my lock screen. Then I can just swipe the alert and use the card.
12a3.jpg

9thWonder

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
The greater question (and its not just for Starbucks) is, if you have the Company app already on your phone, why also have it in Passbook?

Its the case with a number of products that the Passbook supports - in order to get it in there, you have to (at least initially) install the individual Company app on the iDevice - essentially doubling-up info, while maybe offering you less control (and info) than the original app.

I 'get' that Passbook is meant to act as one-location storage for various loyalty cards, coupons and passes, but if its simply copying info from other apps - and still not acting as a virtual wallet - it kinda ranks up there with Newsstand, Siri and Apple Maps as a 'why bother?' app for me - and, like those others, I question why are they embedded in the iOS to begin with.

i agree you may not need both an app and a passbook card. i use starbucks and have both because the starbucks app does other stuff like manage my account, allow me to add more cards, easily check times stores close (cause i drink coffee late at night even though i shouldn't. speaking of which i'm due), and you can check your rewards. So for starbucks i have passbook simply because i can. But i use whatever floats my boat on that day, app or passbook.

But to your point about it not being the digital wallet that's more of an issue on the other parties in my wallet. Granted i do blame apple for a crap launch that had few people onboard for passbook. That being said i also understand that they can't force companies. You're right it's not my digital wallet but if you look at whats in my personal wallet its credit cards which i'd NEVER put in my phone so that i don't worry about and then it's Vons, Albertson, Ralphs, Costco, An old Gap gift card i got 6 years ago and just found. And it has a balance. But The problem is Vons, Ralphs, Albertson, Costco, and the Gap all don't have passbook support for their loyalty cards or gift cards. So my issue is less with apple then those companies. the idea is fine but it hasn't been adopted. And i know for some like Ralphs most of their stores don't have scanners that can scan off a phone. So for it to work you're asking companies to buy this new equipment, change all their self serve scanning machines. Even my Target which has a passbook app couldn't scan the card of a lady in front of me. No that was months ago so maybe they fixed it. But i saw her try and the counter guy couldn't get anything to work because the entire store was set up for you to swipe an actual physical card. So i get your point but for me the problem isn't the idea but rather the fact that it's simply not been adopted. And yeah to some extent i do blame apple for their weak launch. But i think it's a good idea. Oh and my other point i forgot was all those stores i my wallet, Vons, Albertsons, etc are the sort where, unlike the starbucks app, i wouldn't keep the app. I'd keep the card only.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW